HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
United States, NM, Estancia
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
Discussion
Depron/Wall Foams

Hello I am new to RCG and have been lurking on the sight for a few years now, but not new to modeling and RC. What I am new to is the micro sized stuff and depron/wall foam builds with the tissue paper. I am thrilled that we can now have planes that are around a ounce or so. Now after buying a Solo Pro and PZ P-51 I am now converted to the micros almost entirely excepting my helli's which I keep under 450 size anyway. It is nice being able to fly almost any time rain or shine.

Not being able to leave well enough alone I have decided to scrap my P-51 airframe, I had bought the P-51 for it's electronics so I can do some micro builds anyway. Now I am thinking that I would like to build some semi-scale 4ch warbirds with depron or wall foam and some lighter wing loading to slow them down a bit more because I only fly indoors now. I am thinking of doing a Zero or Hellcat first.

Now on to some of the questions I have. I know that wall foam is lighter than the depron, but have never worked with it and it cant be found in the US. Is it worth my time and effort to get some and is it a little more resilient than the depron is? Depron is fine, but the weight of the wall foam looks too enticing to me. with the addition of the tissue I noticed a nice strength gain with little penalty to weight.

Well thats all I can think of right now, but want to get these projects started soon.
highdesert is offline Find More Posts by highdesert
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:41 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,914 Posts
Where does one find the specs on this wall foam? To get a comparison.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:06 AM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
i have both with me here. the wallfoam i think is best suited for really small models. like models for hte vapor brick and 6mm gearbox. its really floppy. i really like the 1mm depron for things a little larger(15~20) wingspan because it is easy to form, light, and pretty stiff. i usually use 2mm depron for wings though because neither is really stiff enough for those without lots of bracing. for the electronics you have i would suggest you pick up some 1mm and 2mm depron from rcfoam(where i get mine) and then either use paper model plans(fiddlersgreen, ecardmodels) or find the plans in the scratchbuilt section and scale them down. the paper model route is probably easier though.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
I have searched for it again and can not find it. I will keep looking. Also is Cell foam the same as the wall foam
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:14 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
no cellfoam is like a slightly stiffer depron. doesn't come in 1mm sizes though so i prefer depron. i get mine here at http://rcfoam.com/
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
I was thinking of the depron in the 1 and 2 mm variety, but like I said the weight of the wall foam is appealing, just can not find it now. I also saw a tread about ironing the wall foam to create a skin to give it some stiffness. I also like to iron the tissue on and have had some success doing so, thus eliminating the glue and it seems to add considerable strength to the foam
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
ya well 1mm depron really isn't that heavy at all. it when you get up to 3mm,4mm thickness do you get too heavy for micros. most of my airframes built from depron in the size your looking at end up waying about 10 grams with about half the weight it he wing. another thing that i have been messing with is taking old stick and tissue plans(balsa) and instead using 2mm depron for the parts with half as many stringers and i get an airframe thats around 4 grams before covering. and this is for a 20in wingspan model.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:26 AM
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
I will probably get some from them soon so I can get started building. What kind of glues are you using for it just foam safe ca, the UHU-POR, or Fabri-Tac. I have tried the Fabri-Tac and it seems a little agressive, but provides a nice hold. I like the fiddlers green plans but want some more simple build-ups. Definitely not profiles, but not completely scale, You know higher wing loading to slow them down a bit. Maybe some larger control surfaces for some more movement. It is kind of on the small side where I fly. It is the size of a basket ball court and no more, no out of bounds or bleachers there. It does have a nice elevated area to fly from though.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
higher wing loading speed them up. i use uhu por and many others do also. it works like contact cement and is light and incredibly strong. you can get it from rcfoam also. when you order your foam make sure you also pick up a couple carbon fiber rods. .5mm,1mm,2mm are all good sizes to have around for linkages/stiffening.
you would be suprized how tuff the models come out when using the paper model plans. at this size they don't need tones of support to stay in shape. also the fiddlersgreen ones are among hte simplest one out there. what you want to do for your first few is not worry about the vrious extra details, jsut do the fuse and wings/tailfeathers. it will give you an idea how to build with your foam and what plans would convert well.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
Nice, I have looked at some of the old guillows plans as well as I have many of them. I think that for the most part I can get away with only 2 or 3 formers most of the time and thats what I can mount the brick and motor in so I can keep it light. 20 in span is probably just about right for what I am thinking of. The P-51 I have just could not quite do it very well in that small space, And I think now that the build quality of the one I have was poor to say the least.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
the p-51 is not a very good plane for indoor at all. and i would go with a 18 in wingspan with the mustang guts to help keep weight down(a lot of weight is in the wings)
do you have an account at fiddlersgreen? they give you 3 free models when you sign up and that is a good place to start and get a good idea of what your doing.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
does the UHU become permanent like say CA or more flexible like rubber cement. I am glad you pointed me in the direction for the CF. My LHS has little to no raw materials to build with. The balsa selection is almost non existent and poor quality too. Forget anything micro except RTFs.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
No account there yet. I like to scratch build as I get more enjoyment from the hobby that way. Design, Build, Fly, Destroy, Repeat. I like to try new things quite often and end up crashing a bit, so they do not last long with me. I am not happy unless I really push the limits with them. All tough the fiddlersgreen plans look great.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
its a good start to test the waters with micro building so to speak. its easier to branch out after that because you have some more ideas on construction etc.
uhu por gets basically permanent but still slightly flexible so it takes crashes easier. it is seriously the best glue for foams
ya i get most all my supplies from rcfoam because my lhs doesn't have as good prices and doesn't have a very good selection.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:02 AM
Joined Mar 2011
11 Posts
Awesome thanks for all of your help