HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
41 Posts
Question
Epp & Depron foam, also Carbon fiber

Hi, I'm big into scratch building foamy's, thinking about starting production on one I've designed and had multiple requests to build, and I was wondering where I could get 3mm & 6mm Epp/Depron cheap. but still of the quality for an indoor 3D plane. I'm looking for the medium to large-size sheets.

Also, if anybody knows where I can get carbon fiber cheap, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks, JonathanZ
JonathanZ is offline Find More Posts by JonathanZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:10 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
www.rcfoam.com sells depron, epp, and cf in just about any size. Really good folks to deal with,too.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:12 PM
Silicon Valley
Joined May 2010
59 Posts
There is a sticky post with foam sources. My preference is RC-Foam. Nice folks who often stick another sheet in free.

You're faster off the mark than I am. :-)
Siliconserf is offline Find More Posts by Siliconserf
Last edited by Siliconserf; Mar 18, 2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Ack first responder
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:18 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,407 Posts
Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanz View Post
hi, i'm big into scratch building foamy's, thinking about starting production on one i've designed and had multiple requests to build, and i was wondering where i could get 3mm & 6mm epp/depron cheap:d. But still of the quality for an indoor 3d plane. I'm looking for the medium to large-size sheets.

Also, if anybody knows where i can get carbon fiber cheap, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks, jonathanz
pic
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2009
41 Posts
Sorry about the late reply.
Here's some pic's of my design. This is version 2 of the plane, V1 was an outdoor plane made with fan fold foam.
I still need to do some modifications, I'm guessing V3 or V4 before I start selling kits.

Thanks for the info, JonathanZ
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
Unregulated User
East/Central Florida
Joined Feb 2009
176 Posts
Maybe because you are a good pilot or maybe because you are just lucky, but
you have a serious design problem. You have a structurally weak area where you have the servo mounted. I would suggest running a carbon rod along the bottom of the fuse in this area or connecting the wing supports above this area (which you now have mounted just aft of this point). I know from whence I speak, I have at least 40 little buggers like that hanging in my garage. Maybe the support rods above this area (on the top section) help but I think it is still a risky design. One good, hard, landing and the nose will break off. Just my opinion but I have many broken planes to prove my theory! Good luck
MIJohn is offline Find More Posts by MIJohn
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJohn View Post
Maybe because you are a good pilot or maybe because you are just lucky, but
you have a serious design problem. You have a structurally weak area where you have the servo mounted. I would suggest running a carbon rod along the bottom of the fuse in this area or connecting the wing supports above this area (which you now have mounted just aft of this point). I know from whence I speak, I have at least 40 little buggers like that hanging in my garage. Maybe the support rods above this area (on the top section) help but I think it is still a risky design. One good, hard, landing and the nose will break off. Just my opinion but I have many broken planes to prove my theory! Good luck
Thanks, the next version will have the servo in a different spot due to control throw problems anyway, but might put some carbon there just for good measure.