HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:42 AM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Discussion
On board HD recording

I'm looking for an alternative to the GoPro.


I would like to find a camera which will provide the same on board HD video recording, but with a zoom option.




After searching for a while, I found this:

SONY DSC-HX5V




It looks pretty promissing, but I don't know if it's video output will work for FPV.


Anybody have any insight?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:55 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
EyeFlyPlanes's Avatar
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Massively heavy. Very Large. Mmmm I'd try again.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:45 AM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes View Post
Massively heavy. Very Large. Mmmm I'd try again.

Thank you for replying Eyefly, I know you're looking out for me.


the original question still stands, however; reguarding the video output. does anybody have any insight on whether or not the video output will work with a FPV TX/RX?
Thanks


Or a better option.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Last edited by m_beeson; Mar 18, 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,105 Posts
The reason you're not going to get an answer here is that nobody else will
be using that big heavy camera for FPV piloting. The super narrow FoV you get
from zooming in, is rarely useful, or even usable for piloting. You might have more
luck in the AP forum where they often carry bigger heavier cameras, and sometimes
use the live view just to frame their shots.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:37 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The reason you're not going to get an answer here is that nobody else will
be using that big heavy camera for FPV piloting. The super narrow FoV you get
from zooming in, is rarely useful, or even usable for piloting. You might have more
luck in the AP forum where they often carry bigger heavier cameras, and sometimes
use the live view just to frame their shots.

ian
That makes sense. I didn't realize they were using live views as well...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:39 PM
FPVing for fun...
rcall's Avatar
Joined Jul 2003
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Thank you for replying Eyefly, I know you're looking out for me.


the original question still stands, however; reguarding the video output. does anybody have any insight on whether or not the video output will work with a FPV TX/RX?
Thanks


Or a better option.
I have one Sony camera that has video and audio out and yes, it works with my transmitters, but is too heavy and too narrow FOV to be used for fpv... maybe in a quarter scale...
rcall is offline Find More Posts by rcall
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:04 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jan 2010
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I'm looking for an alternative to the GoPro.


I would like to find a camera which will provide the same on board HD video recording, but with a zoom option.



HD170 stealth has a 4x zoom

http://driftinnovation.com/hd170-stealth-camera/



•Zoom: Digital x4 (in 720p/30/60fps & WVGA mode)

Not sure if it has video out for FPV though. You never mentioned video out but this is a FPV section.





I have this cam

http://www.vio-pov.com/products-all/pov-hd.html

Only used it twice.. don't think it has zoom but it has video out for streaming video for FPV. I just ordered a X720 quad and getting a 1.3 rx/tx and will try this camera out.
Saleen880549 is offline Find More Posts by Saleen880549
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:31 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcall View Post
I have one Sony camera that has video and audio out and yes, it works with my transmitters, but is too heavy and too narrow FOV to be used for fpv... maybe in a quarter scale...
Hmmm,

it sounds like it might be do-able


There is one guy who is using this on a gaui330x, but I think he's just using it for AP, and not streaming video.

Nice videos though

GAUI330X オプション空撮カメラマウントpart3 Sony DSC-HX5V (3 min 41 sec)
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:12 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
GoProHD.... I record onboard and output analog to the goggles on the ground. Ive done away with recording on the ground even though I dont get the On Screen Display on the onboard camera recording, dont really need it, nice clean onboard recorded file in HD.

Why are looking for an alternative to the GoPro?
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:23 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,105 Posts
Couldn't bother to read the 2nd sentence in the first post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I would like to find a camera which will provide the same on board HD video recording, but with a zoom option.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:50 AM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorAP View Post
GoProHD.... I record onboard and output analog to the goggles on the ground. Ive done away with recording on the ground even though I dont get the On Screen Display on the onboard camera recording, dont really need it, nice clean onboard recorded file in HD.

Why are looking for an alternative to the GoPro?
Thanks for asking.

I'm interrested in having the option of using zoom if I choose to. I have looked at the foxtech10x camera, and decided that; it isn't really what I want.

I like the onboard HD from the GoPro, but you are limited to one lense. With that camera you can get some beautiful video, but your choice in the detail that you capture is limited.

So, after searching cameras, and reviews of cameras, and viewing video taken by each camera, I finally found one that looked promissing...

The video, the zoom, and the stability of this camera appears to be superb...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:51 AM
Yeah Baby
bignose13's Avatar
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
I get good results with my JVC Picsio, it also has zoom, but this is digital and not the best
See my vid on vimeo
Simon

Edit:http://www.vimeo.com/21162765
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Mar 19, 2011, 02:24 AM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Couldn't bother to read the 2nd sentence in the first post?
Nope... now what?
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:19 AM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose13 View Post
See my vid on vimeo
Simon
That is some amazing country. You sure have a lot of open space to fly in.


I'm working on some thoughts to incorporate a gyro-stabilized antiroll into my pan/tilt pod. if it works out like I think it will; it should provide more stabil horizons.

I've just got to get some cash together to start buying fpv gear and new radio.

Really looking forward to flying fpv...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Viking 2 E Race - 4kW - on board HD video PiNa High Performance 231 May 10, 2014 05:41 PM
Discussion On board recording Shedofdread Aerial Photography 3 May 18, 2009 06:24 PM
Discussion Aiptek HD on plane recording alternative renatoa FPV Aircraft 11 Oct 16, 2008 03:22 PM
Any Wattmeter with automatic on board (during flight) recording? BadEnglishHere Power Systems 1 Apr 04, 2005 09:43 AM
on-board data recording sblack Modeling Science 5 Aug 02, 2002 04:16 PM