HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2011, 06:56 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
It's the esc that's the weak point, you should be fine with a 180a since you're already monitoring temps.

Did you try running it with the prop flat, but with the bottom of the hub raised about 1/8" above the bottom of the sponsons?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:57 AM
Drammen rock city. Norway
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Just back from the water, but to many folks taking a swim, and windy , so the boat was only jumping arround , and fliped, so I will take a trip later tonight if it's calmer.
Do you have a picture to go with you're question wparsons ?.Not sure I got it.
maxmekker is offline Find More Posts by maxmekker
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:44 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
If you look at the boat from the side (or set it on a table) have the bottom of the strut parallel to the bottom of the sponsons and raised up so the bottom of it is about 1/8" above the bottom of the sponsons.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 04:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Here is how I have mine with the prather 215. I Just got back after 2 5s runs, and its so much fun. But the small move of rudder had nothing to say, still bouncing with packs up front/midle/hangin of back. I was fooled by the small curves on the water last night, when I said the bounc was gone.

Quess the kintec rudder wil be here soon anyway.

strut test (0 min 37 sec)
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:27 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
See if you can raise the prop about 1/8" straight up and see how it runs.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 02:56 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
My offset and new rudder arrive. It's fitted and I'll be testing it in the morning. The rudder is a little larger than I imagined but i've seen footage from some of the 80mph 90mph versions of these boats and they appear to be using a similar size rudder and yes they are all offset.
Rusty Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Old Fart
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:18 AM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
See if you can raise the prop about 1/8" straight up and see how it runs.
Keep the 'green' area as it is ? And just try to raise the strut (red area) up ?

1/8 inch, that's about 0.3 centimeters ore so, that's not pritty much :-)

As I tried to show in the video, I think it's pritty stiff so it's hard to adjust the strut without moving the whole thing up ore down.

Also how would you place the lipos then ? center on tray, hung over edge ore up front?
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:22 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
The stuffing tube (green area) will have to bend up a bit for the strut to be raised, might not need a permanent bend, but it will change the arc of it so you might need a helper or a space block to hold it in place until you get the strut bolts tight.

1/8" is roughly 3mm, it's actually 3.17mm but I know I can't see the difference between the two with my eyes

Put the batteries where they worked best before, it's not smart to make more than one change at a time or you'll never know what actually helped.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 07:33 AM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,871 Posts
Rusty you can cut the rudder about a half inch and it would work the same with less drag .
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Jun 04, 2011, 08:44 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavdriver View Post
Rusty you can cut the rudder about a half inch and it would work the same with less drag .
Yer I know, but i'll wait to get the bounce sorted first then think about it

Cheerz
Old Jun 05, 2011, 04:25 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
Interesting. In this video the apparition starts porpoising and he mentions lowering the strut. He lowers the strut twice and boat begins to run smooth.

HobbyKing - Apparition offshore Brushless Twin-Hull RC Boat (13 min 26 sec)
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
227 Posts
nice, will have a look at it later today. And to Airplanekid. Sorry for taken the tread, I just now looked at first post's and saw it was you're tread. I thought it was the 'ordinary' geico tread from when it came out.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 08:56 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
Rusty, where does he actually lower the strut? He brings it in to check temps, then throws 6s in it, shreds the prop, and swaps to a 35mm metal prop.

Going to a smaller prop has a similar effect to raising the prop since it is lifting the transom less.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:51 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Old Fart View Post
Interesting. In this video the apparition starts porpoising and he mentions lowering the strut. He lowers the strut twice and boat begins to run smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TygZu...feature=digest
He does state lowering it a tad..............

I always thought this motor(1620kv 3660) could handle 6s and it did ok, hit 50. His temps were a bit high for my liking at 145* on the motor running 6s, and thats after he fished it out and it had a chance to cool slightly i would imagine. However, if he were running in a large body of water he wouldnt have had to get on and get off the throttle constantly which would lead to better temps.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:33 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
^^ He mentions he might try lowering it, but never actually shows it or says he did it.