SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:49 PM
The Eh Team
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2000
954 Posts
Alert
Terrible Hobby King battery shipping via Singapore

I ordered $300 of batteries from Hobby King last month (Feb 27) and paid $62 for EMS shipping. The ended up being redirected through Singapore and finally arrived yesterday March 17. The box looked like it arrived in Canada by dropping it from altitude out of an airplane, and then was kicked every step of the way until it got to my house. The batteries were wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap which was ALL POPPED, so the box must have been dropped extremely hard. The batteries themselves look fine but a couple of them were very out of balance (0.07V difference between high and low cells on one).

I've got some other batteries coming from them via swisspost, but after that I'm done with Hobby King for batteries. It's not worth the 60% price difference between them and say Hyperion if the batteries can't get from Hong Kong to north america safely.

Just posting as a warning to others, this business about going through Singapore is not just an issue with delays but also is likely to intoduce damage to your goods. Strongly recommend if you are in USA to order only from the USA warehouse, and elsewhere to simply choose a different vendor.

I should add that Hobby King does not appear to be mitigating the possibility of damage through better packing at the point of origin. The batteries only had a three layers or so of 1/4" bubble wrap, and were directly at the bottom of the box. Space was filled with large air bags above them (which did not pop), but the batteries should have been isolated from the outside of the box through use of larger bubble wrap. The box was also sealed only lightly with regular packing tape and was not particularly heavy cardboard. With better packing, it could have better survived the trip. I feel they should pack expecting a 30 foot drop onto concrete because that's the kind of abuse the package seemed to have received, and most likely multiple times.
eajohnson is offline Find More Posts by eajohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:08 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
My order was shipped via Swiss Post. Who the heck is Swiss Post? Why is Swiss post office involved in shipment from HK to US? Why is the mail routed via Singapore and around the world? It takes twice longer than direct air mail from HK to US.

Very peculiar. Is postage cheaper via Swiss Post?
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)