HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Discussion
Astro-hog

Now, I got a couple (at least four) of the Astrohog M/As in one big new box. Plans too. Now, there isn't too much similar between one or the other, except the name, and they are all tail-dragger versions. I now have to figure out what goes with what. None of these, zero, have the advertised wingspan of 72 inches. All of them fall short of this figure.

Tell me what your wingspan is via measurement of the original plan or actual model. (Don't just read the box label as I did last week) Need such measurement down to about 1/16th accuracy too. Ship me a PM with the measurement, and where from, if you have an Astrohog.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosbaylumber View Post
Tell me what your wingspan is via measurement of the original plan or actual model. (Don't just read the box label as I did last week) Need such measurement down to about 1/16th accuracy too. Ship me a PM with the measurement, and where from, if you have an Astrohog.
Ever hear of the word "please"?
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:31 PM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
649 Posts
"Ever hear of the word "please"?"
Nope, I don't think he ever has nor has said thank you when there has been a reply!
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,779 Posts
Come on guys, isn't there enough "bad" going on in the world right now without this?

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:01 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,328 Posts
Quote:
... isn't there enough "bad" going on in the world right now without this?
There's more than enough "bad". And a little politeness and courtesy, which costs nothing, sure helps to make that world just a tiny bit nicer to be in.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:07 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,779 Posts
...you're correct Harry D. I'd just got on this site after looking at some more photos from Japan and I guess I was out of sorts a bit...well, more than a bit. Sorry guys.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Mar 17, 2011, 03:17 PM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
649 Posts
Sorry guys but I will not take it back! I have helped this man out many times and there has never been a thank you for my efforts!
Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:07 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosbaylumber View Post
Now, I got a couple (at least four) of the Astrohog M/As in one big new box. Plans too. Now, there isn't too much similar between one or the other, except the name, and they are all tail-dragger versions. I now have to figure out what goes with what. None of these, zero, have the advertised wingspan of 72 inches. All of them fall short of this figure.

Wm.
The Aeromodeller Plans Service plans for the Astro Hog, published in 1958, measures a wingspan of 72.08 inches. That's the most exact measure I could take. Hope it helps.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:36 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Feb 2005
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56 View Post
Sorry guys but I will not take it back! I have helped this man out many times and there has never been a thank you for my efforts!
Gene
...and quite right too, Gene. There is NO excuse for bad manners
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:17 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
First published in MAN, their plan measures 71.5" span. Fred Dunns' widow probably still has an original 'hog in her possession but I'm not going to ask her to measure it.

Am sure an odd half inch difference in various plans isn't going to make the slightest difference to how this iconic design performs.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:06 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,361 Posts
I remember guys building them with one or two wing panels left out to make it have a shorter wing span too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
First published in MAN, their plan measures 71.5" span. Fred Dunns' widow probably still has an original 'hog in her possession but I'm not going to ask her to measure it.
I mentioned this to Kathleeen Dunn for she lived about 45 minutes south of here. Sold balsa wood on eBay too. She only had a few of his plans (no originals) at the house, one of which was a Bi-plane, that never got kitted. I met Fred a good 15-20 years after the original was published. He never mentioned the "other" plans.

Wm.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:33 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
The Aeromodeller Plans Service plans for the Astro Hog, published in 1958, measures a wingspan of 72.08 inches. That's the most exact measure I could take. Hope it helps.
Well, no doubt it was correct, but you ruined my day now, for was thinking it was even less.

Wm.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jenkins View Post
...and quite right too, Gene. There is NO excuse for bad manners

I do not pay too much attention to the chatter here, as the P. and T-Y is now sort of Polically Incorrect.

Wm.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
First published in MAN, their plan measures 71.5" span. Am sure an odd half inch difference in various plans isn't going to make the slightest difference to how this iconic design performs.
I got one plan that measures 71 3/16 inches of span-flat, with a chord of 12 inches exactly.

Had a responce this morning via PM that the wingspan folded and the flat were "exactly" the same at 72 inches.

Wm.