SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Help!
250-size heli

I want a new helicopter, I look at the smaller 250 size helicopters. I've realized that align Trex 250 is pretty good (if not the best). But I don't have the money to spend on it. I'm looking for a good clone of aluminum and carbon fiber parts, that is compatible with Trex parts. Can anyone help me?

Another thing. What motor, esc, servos and gyro would you use in this model? PS. I do not need to save money on this, since I get the helicopter so cheap!

thanks for your help
firsttimeflyyer is offline Find More Posts by firsttimeflyyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:29 PM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
what kind of heli do you currently fly?
RC_Marine is offline Find More Posts by RC_Marine
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Blade 400
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:44 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,341 Posts
There are a few clones out there. This thread focuses on the HobbyKing one, there are others as well (AXI, CopterX, etc).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1120372
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:03 PM
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
912 Posts
Both Tarot and CopterX make good quality T-Rex compatible clones that are very cost effective.

You may also want to consider The Xheli EXI 250 and HobbyKing HK 250.
Steve Joblin is offline Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
what electronics would u use in it ?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:53 AM
USA, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Nov 2010
89 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, EXI, HK, CopterX, and Tarot are all built in the same factory out of the same parts. There are a few differences in the Tarot and CopterX to make them appear different but for the most part they are all made by the company SKYA in china. I have been told that the Tarot is totally different but I have also been told by a reliable source that is is SKYA's heli. I do not have a tarot or CopterX so I can not say from first hand experience but I do know that HK and EXI are identical heli's. With that said get a HK for the price if they ever have any in stock, EXI for the fast shipping and also good price, Tarot or CopterX for the customer service and inflated price.
As far as electronics go, top of the line is Scorpion and castle with either futaba or hitec servo's and a Spartan Quark gyro. Middle of the road would be Align motor, ESC, servo's, and gyro. Go to Hobbypartz to get cheap but workable electronics, I did to start and they worked fine at first. One thing to consider is your battery choice. I went with Blue Lipo from Hobbypartz and its 20C version just doesn't cut it. I can't do pitch pumps cause the motor bogs(align) and the tail blows out during hard climb outs cause the rotors slow down so much it can't keep up. You definately need at least 30C of a known reputable battery to get good performance. Once these batteries puff I am getting Voltz to try out, they look pretty good.
The 250 size heli is extremely picky about it's setup so you need to have a good bit of experience building heli's to know what is wrong when something happens and it will. The 250 is a twitchy little bird and can and will cover a bunch of sky in a hurry if you want it to. It is a really fun heli to fly for those that get used to it. And mine sees way more airtime than my 450's do. I love my 250.
swoop_g is offline Find More Posts by swoop_g
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop_g View Post
Contrary to popular belief, EXI, HK, CopterX, and Tarot are all built in the same factory out of the same parts. There are a few differences in the Tarot and CopterX to make them appear different but for the most part they are all made by the company SKYA in china. I have been told that the Tarot is totally different but I have also been told by a reliable source that is is SKYA's heli. I do not have a tarot or CopterX so I can not say from first hand experience but I do know that HK and EXI are identical heli's. With that said get a HK for the price if they ever have any in stock, EXI for the fast shipping and also good price, Tarot or CopterX for the customer service and inflated price.
As far as electronics go, top of the line is Scorpion and castle with either futaba or hitec servo's and a Spartan Quark gyro. Middle of the road would be Align motor, ESC, servo's, and gyro. Go to Hobbypartz to get cheap but workable electronics, I did to start and they worked fine at first. One thing to consider is your battery choice. I went with Blue Lipo from Hobbypartz and its 20C version just doesn't cut it. I can't do pitch pumps cause the motor bogs(align) and the tail blows out during hard climb outs cause the rotors slow down so much it can't keep up. You definately need at least 30C of a known reputable battery to get good performance. Once these batteries puff I am getting Voltz to try out, they look pretty good.
The 250 size heli is extremely picky about it's setup so you need to have a good bit of experience building heli's to know what is wrong when something happens and it will. The 250 is a twitchy little bird and can and will cover a bunch of sky in a hurry if you want it to. It is a really fun heli to fly for those that get used to it. And mine sees way more airtime than my 450's do. I love my 250.
Thanks man !!
Old May 15, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Marine View Post
what kind of heli do you currently fly?
Heres my set up and is this going to work?

Kit: HK 250 GT

Motor: Turnigy 2627 Brushless Outrunner 3800kv

Gyro:ASSAN GA250AVCS GYRO

Esc: HK SS SERIES 25-30A ESC

Battery: TURNIGY 800MAH 2S 20C LIPO PACK

Servos: TURNIGY TG9E 9G

Suggest cheap digital servos.
mjg17 is offline Find More Posts by mjg17
Old May 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg17 View Post

Not wise to go for cheap ones see here
He broke my chopper (0 min 21 sec)
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old May 21, 2011, 08:08 PM
Semper Fly!
Joined Dec 2010
469 Posts
by cheap by twice
RC_Marine is offline Find More Posts by RC_Marine
Old May 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
United States, LA, Oak Grove
Joined Oct 2006
381 Posts
i had a exi 250 and didn't like it at all every time i flew it bearings keep going out
stutts121472 is offline Find More Posts by stutts121472
Old May 22, 2011, 12:09 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
My HK250GT has 494 recorded flights on it now, and I only changed the main bearings a couple of weeks ago. They were still fine, but since I had a spare set and I had the heli apart to change servos, I figured I might as well put the new ones in. Overall it's been a great heli. Same with all the electronics, they are about as cheap as I could find and the only failure I had was a $3.00 servo after 300 or so flights. I have since upgraded to $4.00 servos
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old May 23, 2011, 08:58 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,374 Posts
http://www.scaleflying.com/Full-Hous...Kit_p_827.html

I havnt had any issues with quality yet! this is the kit I used ta repair my EXI 250
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old May 26, 2011, 01:32 PM
mtuccio
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg17 View Post

Kit: HK 250 GT

Motor: Turnigy 2627 Brushless Outrunner 3800kv

Gyro:ASSAN GA250AVCS GYRO

Esc: HK SS SERIES 25-30A ESC

Battery: TURNIGY 800MAH 2S 20C LIPO PACK

Servos: TURNIGY TG9E 9G

The above will work but I wouldn't recommend using the GA-250 Gyro in the 250. Many people have been trying these gyros on 250 size machines and experiencing the "wag of death". I have personally experienced this myself a couple of times on 250's and if you don't have your transmitter programming correct for the gyro and are quick with the switches you are bound to crash. I would recommend that you use a GY48V or an HK401B before you go with the GA-250. I was actually testing the lastest shipment of GA-250's last night on a T-Rex 450 sport and I can say that they have improved the software but is is still miles away from being correct. I then repeated the same test with the same helicopter running a GY48V I had lying around the shop. The GY48V has far superior performance to the GA-250 (My apologies to the people that love these!). Even though either of these gyros are "great" the GY48V is a better choice for a 250 class machine.

I should also comment that your motor choice is a bit large for the helicopter and the ESC is overkill. Just an FYI, you can run a scorpion 2206-3900kV on the 15A Align ESC without any issues. The largest ESC I ever install on a 250 clone is a Turnigy 18A Plush.

Hope this helps

Mark
mtuccio is offline Find More Posts by mtuccio