Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:58 AM
corby, uk
Joined Dec 2010
147 Posts
Discussion
OFFICIAL KDS 450s /sv THREAD / HELP - DISCUSSION - GENERAL - #for all kds needs

SO HERE IT IS

AN UP TO DATE KDS CHAT THREAD FOR ALL KDS PILOTS - USERS

(AS THE OTHER THREADS ARE OUT OF DATE BY A FAR)

GENERAL DISCUSSION - HELP - SET UP ISSUES AND EVERYTHING ELCE TO DO WITH KDS....

SO I WILL GET THINGS GOING...

i wonder if kds - with there 3 version range of heli's, if they will ever come up with a pulley driven belt conversion instead of the auto rotation casette attatched to main gear - it just looks much more tidy / hidden belt from ceter of fuselage.....

has anyone noticed how the front cyclic servo horn is sooo close to the main drive gear?

also the transmitter and rx that comes with the kits - are rubbish.

covert to 2.4 as soon as possible....

got a clone kds?
tring to find parts?
d1cky_kds is offline Find More Posts by d1cky_kds
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:37 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
170 Posts
From what I see, the KDS comes with a 2.4 7 channel radio.

I have one on order with flymentor, mainly because for less than 300 canadian I will have a spare 450 to fly and I wanted the flymentor for my T-rex. Since the flymentor was 70 plus shipping, got an extra 450 for 230.

Trust me I need all the extra 450's for the way I fly!!!
JamesBC is offline Find More Posts by JamesBC
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:57 AM
corby, uk
Joined Dec 2010
147 Posts
im aactualy in the middle of selling mine now, waiting on the 500 coming.
altho i am thinking of just keeping it and converting it to 2.4 myself, i bought mine 2 years ago so maybe now they have had a brain wave and decided to use the 2.4 now!

flymentor is good help, but i wouldnt use them - but then again, to set up from scratch i guess the mentor would be handy!
d1cky_kds is offline Find More Posts by d1cky_kds
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:05 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
170 Posts
Well if you have been flying for some time, suppose the idea of the flymentor is not great.

Personally I think setting it up so it can be turned off for practice at flying and then back on just to fly around some makes it much more enjoyable.

Which 500 are you getting? If and when I can fly safely I will want either the 500 or 550.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:46 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
170 Posts
Well the KDS 450S I ordered arrived. My first impression is not bad for a 450 heli RTF with Flymentor for under $300 Canadian. Think its RTF, well I dought that really, I put batteries in the transmitter and there seems to be no model set up in it. I don't have much time today, but did check the main rotor blades, there is a difference of 0.3g. That is not much but I prefer it be 0 difference so will balance out the main rotors before flying.

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the K-7X transmitter, is how it feels just like the DX6i I have. It is 2.4, only unlike the DX6i this transmitter takes 8 AA batteries. I will have to read the manual to see but there is a charge plug on the side of it.

One more quick check I made on the heli, my t-rex 450 tail booms fit perfect, and it looks like many more t-rex parts fit. The main head is plastic, frame is metal.

First things before I can try to get it set up, two manuals to read, one for transmitter and one for flymentor all on disk rather than printed. Also need to change plugs for battery and esc on it, over to deans plugs.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:12 PM
China, Beijing
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Battery switch?

I just bought my KDS 450S in Beijing today for $1,480rmb or about USD$231. Can someone tell me if there is a battery switch on the helicopter? I sure as heck can't find one. I can't imagine having to remove the cover to plug and unplug the battery pack to turn it on and off? The manual does not show one either. Thanks!
kinabalu222 is offline Find More Posts by kinabalu222
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:40 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinabalu222 View Post
I just bought my KDS 450S in Beijing today for $1,480rmb or about USD$231. Can someone tell me if there is a battery switch on the helicopter? I sure as heck can't find one. I can't imagine having to remove the cover to plug and unplug the battery pack to turn it on and off? The manual does not show one either. Thanks!
My guess is you are not familiar with RC heli's. You will need to remove canopy to install LiPo battery. Replace canopy with battery wire exposed, that way you can connect the battery leads when you are ready to fly. There is NO switch.

And of course, best of luck. Report back after flying...
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:17 PM
China, Beijing
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
My guess is you are not familiar with RC heli's. You will need to remove canopy to install LiPo battery. Replace canopy with battery wire exposed, that way you can connect the battery leads when you are ready to fly. There is NO switch.

And of course, best of luck. Report back after flying...
Thanks Piper J3, I used to fly gas airplanes and helos but this is my first electric, thanks for the tip! I see you like Cubs, I use to fly a V tail Bonanza then Robinson R22s until I moved to Asia.
kinabalu222 is offline Find More Posts by kinabalu222
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:25 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
170 Posts
I have since discarded the radio, gone to a DX8. Much easier to understand the set up. I still fly this one with the flymentor, but a few parts have been upgraded, most note worthy is full metal KDS head and tail.

I use 2800mah 3s in mine, gives me about 10 minutes. Going to change the motor to one little more power which might improve flight time.

Good luck on yours, I do like the KDS.

Jim
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:10 PM
United States, WA, Winlock
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Flymentor

I am considering a Flymentor for my EXI 450. Do they work well ? I saw the videos on U tube.

Thanks

Skilly
skillyl is offline Find More Posts by skillyl
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:14 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillyl View Post
I am considering a Flymentor for my EXI 450. Do they work well ? I saw the videos on U tube.

Thanks

Skilly
They work well, once you get them set up. Getting it set up can be a lesson in patience.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:11 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Apr 2011
210 Posts
I think I have a problem with my ESC. I tried using a Walkera 2801 receiver so I coudl use my Walkera transmitter and after 5 tries of connecting and binding, it worked. A few weeks latter, I tried a Spectrum AR8000 receiver and I get servo movements when I plug or unplug the servos in but no stick movement. I gave up and tried to go back to the KDS receiver and no response at all.

Battery seems find so I'm thinking the problem is with my ESC?
Allan Gibbs is offline Find More Posts by Allan Gibbs
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:38 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Nov 2010
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
I think I have a problem with my ESC. I tried using a Walkera 2801 receiver so I coudl use my Walkera transmitter and after 5 tries of connecting and binding, it worked. A few weeks latter, I tried a Spectrum AR8000 receiver and I get servo movements when I plug or unplug the servos in but no stick movement. I gave up and tried to go back to the KDS receiver and no response at all.

Battery seems find so I'm thinking the problem is with my ESC?

Could be you need to rebind the KDS reciever and transmitter. You can check the ESC to see if the BEC is working with just a volt meter, should read somewhere in the 5 to 6 volt range. If you get servo movement when you plug them in, sounds like a problem else where, the BEC must be giving power or the servo's would not move.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:43 AM
United States, WA, Winlock
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Binding Walkera

None of my Walkera transmitters will bind with another brand of receiver. I get a momentary buzz of the servos when I plug the other brand receivers in then nothing. The 2603 transmitters will only bind with the 4 and 6 channel Walkera receivers. The 2801 Pro will bind with all Walkera receivers.

I switched to Futaba so that I can get it repaired if I have a problem. As far as I can find out there is no repair available for Walkera. I talked with Tony Stillman at Radio South and he doesn't repair them. He repairs about every other brand.

Skilly
skillyl is offline Find More Posts by skillyl
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:55 AM
Joe
United States, PA, Eagleville
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
KDS 450s with flymentor and 7x2 transmitter

Hi can anyone HELP me and tell me the factory transmitter settings for my KDS 7x2 I crashed KDS 450s with flymentor 3 months ago then repaired the broken parts but no mechanical adjustments were made but the swashplate was all wacked out so I reajusted it to level with servos but then the servos didnt move correctly I checked the flymentor settings on the computer and they seem fine it trys to keep it level but it cant find level I dont know if the crash knocked a servo out or the program out but mechanicaly its repaired fine but no matter what I do the controls are out of wack so I think I might have messed up the transmitter settings some how.I also would like to use the transmitter to fly my Esky belt cp and honneybee king 3 because I never was able to fly them without crashing because they were to sensitive not even a hover and I thought I could calm them down with rate and expos but they wont bind so I cant figure out whats wrong.The Esky belt cp is almost identical to the kds 450s but I dont want to move the flymentor or reciever over to them the transmitter is suposed to work on other models even airplanes but it wont bind to any other reciver I try but most important for me is to get my KDS 450 working but I cant get it to work it in normal heli mode because the swashplate wont move in the correct way.So PLEASE HELP
Joe R.
rejoe821 is offline Find More Posts by rejoe821