SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:56 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
943 Posts
Discussion
Haier 10" monitor and the blue screen of death

I bought a 10" Haier monitor off Amazon after reading how others have successfully used it for FPV. I'm not having any luck with it. I'm having trouble getting the TV to see the signal from my RX and, when I do, it drops to ""No Signal" with just a bit of signal loss.

My Hardware:
Lawmate 1W 1.3Ghz TX/RX
GoPro HD Camera with Live Feed enabled
Haier 10" TV

Setup:
TX/RX each running on a seperate lipo.
GoPro running on its own internal lipo.
Haier 10" running on its own internal lipo.

Issues:
1.) I can't get it to display the video most of the time through the RX. If I hook up the GoPro directly to the Haier, I see the video. But through the RX, it just gives me the "No Signal" message. Sometimes, I can get the signal by alternating modes on the GoPro (i.e. cam/video/mutli-shot/etc), but this is just random and I can't repeat on demand.
2.) Once I do get a signal, it is extremely clear; very good picture quality. However, at just a bit of signal loss, I drop to "No Signal" again and can't get it back.

I've got a 24" monitor with video in and it doesn't have this problem with the video through my RX. It always displays the video just fine. Is anyone else that uses a Haier 10" having this problem? Do I have a bum set or might I be doing something wrong?
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:02 AM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,749 Posts
I'm having simular problems, bevrc 2.4 500mw vtx with 2 av outputs, fatshark base work everytime but my archos 705 dvr wont show image on its own AV output. It only works if I come off the cables leading to the fatshark with Y connectors. I'm thinking our problems are related. Btw I cant get the vtx to display on a 14" portable or a 42" plasma tv either.
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:44 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
I don't recall where I read this but apparently the 1.2GHz receiver plays with the video signal differently then other. For example, I use the exact cam with my 2.4GHz vtx and rx and image is clean but use the 1.2GHz and I get a ''running'' image. Some told me to put some resistor on the video wire...didn't have to do it since using my amplified video splitter solved the problem

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=103&page=1
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:28 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
943 Posts
Thanks guys.. I bought the LCD monitor because I heard it was better to start with that than the Fatsharks but had planned on Fatsharks eventually.

I heard about the running picture fix but I don't think that would resolve my problem since my video is solid.. the few times I've got it to work. I'm going to try the video amplifier route and see if that works.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:24 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
943 Posts
Solved! Putting video amplifier works every time. The picture is still very good quality, but not as good as without the amplifier. I've got the video to work a couple more times without the ampifier, but it drops to 'No Signal' to easily. So.. very slightly degraded video quality due to the amplifier is the price to pay; but still extremely useable. NOW!! Finally.. time for FPV flying. I'm going to have someone else fly the plane while I watch the tube.

VidRX->Aplifier->LCD

This is the amplifier I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Thanks for the help folks! Especially to saucisse for the amplifier idea!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:29 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Any time mate
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:07 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
818 Posts
OMG
I have been dealing with this for a while...
I had a video amp in my hand and the tech guy at the check out said I had a "sync issue with my video tx" so, I dident buy it... good thing too his amp was $30.

what I had been using to make it work, was a dvr that has an OSD. that kept the monitor from going into "blue screen".
it worked... but I did not like the DVR quality. so I dident want to use it to make the monitor usable.
just called around.... found one at a car audio shop for $15.

Funny part: I have a 8" Haier monitor that almost never goes into blue screen.

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:24 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
723 Posts
SugarlandFlyer was selling one of these in Feb which had a mod which would "bypass the blue screen". I don't believe he remembers the mod but here is the thread. I need this to. I have two brand new units I'm going to use.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349586

Chris
imagebuff is online now Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:34 PM
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2011
430 Posts
I was thinking about buying one of these myself so someone has to know how the mod works.
PnoT is offline Find More Posts by PnoT
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:08 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
I'm running 1.3Ghz Sunsky on the haier 10" and unless the video is 80% GONE I will still be able to see image and static. The moment the signal is back it takes a split second for the haier to show.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:07 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
943 Posts
All: I've only tested this around the house; no FPV testing yet. However, I can now reliably and repeatedly get a solid signal. I wish the picture took the whole 10" screen. I'll be testing wtih FPV as soon as the weather improves a bit.

imagebuff: I'm now on a hunt to find that bypass mod!! That would be ideal!

Sim_io. I wish I had that same success. I'm running a 1.3Ghz Lawmate and cannot get a stable signal through the RX without first going through the amplifier. However, if I hook the GoPro directly to the Haier 10", I have solid clear signal.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:45 AM
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,485 Posts
Kerbob,
Hit the "zoom" button on the remote to make the picture full screen.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:48 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
943 Posts
Crist,
Thanks! I tried some things out and it turned out to be the video mode of the GoPro. 720p and 1080p both only take about 8" of the 10" screen with black bars on all sides. 960p, mode 4 on the GoPro, does take up the full top to bottom but leaves black bars on the sides. Zooming does use the full screen, but its stretched and doesn't look so good in my opinion.
I prefer videoing in 720p because it does 60fps.. but for FPV, I'll stick to the 960p. 60fps is nice in case you want to slow something down 50% to make the video smoother.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:27 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2004
131 Posts
i tried to use the haier 10" as well with no luck either showing no signal from a regular videocam nor from my 5.8 receiver.

does it need a AV amplifier?
Cuba59 is offline Find More Posts by Cuba59
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:04 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
943 Posts
Since I bought the powered splitter, I have had zero problems. I needed the splitter anyway to go to:
a.) Fatshark 5.8TX
b.) Camcorder (to record)
c.) 10" Haier Monitor.

Everything is golden now. I'm still a noobie, so I haven't ventured to far away yet.