HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 04, 2011, 03:02 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I'm trying a different visual configuration. Make it easier to tell the front from the back while flying at night and the "eyes" in the front with white to make me remember the front. I ditched the ball and painted the dome flat black.
I ditched the ball too after this was taken and just go with rubber inserts I put in the legs. I don't fly at night so this works so far. I do like the lights though. After I make some other changes I think I'm going that route too.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 03:08 PM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
Nice 'dog. right now im on "legs only". Mine was the first kit and didnt come with landing gear feet. I noticed after a few landings (always on concrete) that my gear was getting ground down. In a search for some foam feet i came across old nerf guns with red and yellow darts.

Red and yellow feet!
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Old May 04, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Ahhh. So far I've only been landing in grass. My landings usually are not gental at times.
Old May 04, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflake12 View Post
You like it better than the 4 colors you were running? I havent applied mine yet, but got all 4 colors just in case.
Only problem i can see with yours is that at night it might be hard to tell if its going away from you it might look the same as if its heading straight back at you with a serious nose down angle, and vice versa. I suppose the eyes help with that. Any thoughts there?

I myself was thinking 4 colors might look a bit busy (or even 3) and like the look of yours.
Going to have to give that some thought. One thing about the lights is they are bright enough to light up the whole structure of the quad even the dome, so I see the front of the dome even at night. If I fly too far away, the two colors could be an issue in some situations, but the main reason I ditched the 4 color scheme was it was just not helping me keep the front orientation.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old May 04, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Now I don't know all that much about the electrical aspects of quads and lighting etc. but wonder if maybe there was a way to put a flashing small light on it besides your regular lights. Say like in rear section as it's flying away from you a small flasher on the base where between the two legs or maybe in the front?? Just to give you quick recognition??
Old May 04, 2011, 08:33 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I say use whatever configuration makes it easy too see front and back. Flashing lights would need a separate small controller to sequence them, but would look cool. I might do a night rider sweeping light in the front when the board is armed and off when it's not armed.
Old May 04, 2011, 08:45 PM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
the cylon eye, i like it. What output from the warthox/paris boards could you use for armed/not armed output?

Ill test wire the lights with rubber bands or something and see which helps.
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Old May 04, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I started to look into that myself but dropped it when started shopping for my fpv stuff.
Old May 07, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Mishap

Well, I smacked it up today. Lost orientation up high in a botched turn and never got it back straight. It was heading for the pits when I cut throttle and it hit on the back two arms and split them at the hub. Also lost three props.

I have already stripped the gear off and all electronics are ok. The board is un touched. Now I have to decide if I want to rebuild it or use the gear on the larger FPV quad or Y6 I'd like to build