SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:17 AM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,040 Posts
Are there a few pictures of how people did their power spiders available ?
Firefox675 is offline Find More Posts by Firefox675
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:49 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Someone on the WiiMulti thread posted a how-to video last week. Prior to that I had not thought of doing it that way. I'll post some photos later on.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:09 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,418 Posts
Interesting! I think I saw a site that sells the Warthox and Paris boards already made. I'd sure go that route. Is GPS and Return Home options available? Sure is a lot to learn! Choosing a board, with all the options is confusing...
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Almost There

Got everything wired up for some tests of the flight control board and motor/prop directions. I held it in my hand while testing control and it is functioning correctly. Should be able to do some test hovers this week. Need to balance the props and clean up and secure wiring. I have a dome cover coming in the mail and LED lights to install at a later date.

Feels really good to do all this work myself and get this far for so little cost. More soldering than I like, but oh well.

AUW: 962 grams with Spider 3S 2200 Lipo.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Flight Report- Maiden

I completed balancing props, thread locker on all frame bolts and wire cleanup.

Did a test hop in the basement in a 8 x 8 foot open area with carpet on the stock PID settings and .5 for RC Rate and .65 for RC Expo.

Lift off was straight up and the controls where smooth. Hovered very nice, but needs to be trimmed a bit to stay in one area or my CG is not quite right yet. Feels allot like a 4ch fixed pitch coax in that the throttle response has a lag before your input translates into a climb or descent. Banks and turns are predictable and yaw works but is slow. I think the response on right stick is too soft and I will be upping the rates before the next flight outside where I can do more forward flight.

Motors barely warm to the touch after landing. Lift off at half stick.

So power stats via my Eagle Tree logger:
Altitude: 7200 ft.
Flight Time: 5:32 mins
Pack mah used: 832
Avg Amps: 11.5 (Eyeballed from chart)
Max Amps: 15.2

Avg Watts: 130 (Eyeballed from chart)
Max Watts: 173

So I estimate I should be able to fly for 10 mins of basic flight and land with a conservative pack reserve. More test flights will tell just how far I can go. I might also test some two blade props in the 10x3.8 to 10x4.7 range and compare.
Last edited by cactus; Mar 29, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:39 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,418 Posts
Way to go, congrats!
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:57 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Forgot to mention I am using code base 1.7 and the 1.7 Patch GUI. Default PID settings as indicated above.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Thanks! Feels good to get this far with success on the first flight.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:02 AM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
as soon as i get a replacement ESC for my broken one, i hope to be following your footsteps on this. Lesson 1-buy backup electronics.
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:09 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
And more props to try!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
PID Tuning

So, now that my quad is flyable its time to go to PID school! Time to learn how to tweak the values to suite my flying goals and style.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:33 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
LED lights are installed now. Did blue front and white back with red port and green starboard.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:03 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Outdoor Night Flight

WOW! That was a pleasant outdoor flight despite 12-15mph gusty winds. The lights are very bright and easy to follow. This thing flys amazing for default values. All I have done is change the RC rate and Expo a bit to my liking. It flys circuits very nice and tracks smooth.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 03:34 PM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
Hey cacus. I saw you left the BEC wires all connected from each ESC to the board, no problems with this? Just gathering my thoughts before i try to solder up pins this weekend.

Also...tiny soldering tips? Or just a steady hand with a "full size"
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Old Apr 01, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflake12 View Post
Hey cacus. I saw you left the BEC wires all connected from each ESC to the board, no problems with this? Just gathering my thoughts before i try to solder up pins this weekend.

Also...tiny soldering tips? Or just a steady hand with a "full size"
Well for everything except the power spider and bullet connectors I used this tip on my new Weller I purchased for all the soldering I was going to be doing.