Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:20 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
I mentioned a problem earlier with the stab rocker.

It took me a while to work it out but the tapered inner plastic bushes were too big in diameter by 0.2 mm. This was stopping them from touching in the middle and they would have locked solid in the outer aluminium bushes when the hinge bolt was tightened up.

Very fortunately they fitted on a Dremel attachment spindle so I managed to turn them down, lathe style. It's all happy now but I shouldn't have had to do that. The pictures explain it better.
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Binnie View Post
Ok Jaap!

I have just searched internet shops in England and other countries, no Nr.93 spoilers in stock. They are a discontinued item.

I will keep looking for you.

Gary
Thank you for your effort!! No problem, i think i will get some other pair of airbrakes to use in the Mini Nimbus.

The thread on the dutch forum is started by me to show my 'half build' Graupner Mini Nimbus kit. I bought it from somebody who did not want to finish it anymore. I like this kit so very much! So i am planning to get this bird looking like new again.

The wings in my kit were very badly built. So i decided to build a new pair! Therefore i needed off course the plans. They were in the kit, but in very bad condition. So the discussion went on about were to get the plans copied on new paper. I finally found a company who could do the job. I now have a beautiful copy and a digitized one! So now i have a nice PDF file from the original plans!

A friend of mine made himself a CNC Cutter machine, so i thought maybe i could digitize the wingribs from the PDF file, to let them cut by my friend! So that is what i am busy with right now, get the AutoCAD file right to cut the ribs. (And i am far from an AutoCAD expert..)

I indeed also digitized the original decal sheet, and i will do it with the other big decals to. So the guy over here who needed the decals, sent me a message..

In my thread there is an other guy (RCPaul) who happened to score a fuselage of this kit. He also plans to make some new wings to get his fuselage flying again! We are discussing about how to do things right.

So i hope you will post a lot of pics building up your wings, because we can learn from it :-)

Hope to get these birds flying again!!

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Jaap
Japie.G is offline Find More Posts by Japie.G
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:57 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
It's been a lovely day weather-wise so I moved out into the garden, much better light.

Dry fitted the fin post and I could see that it needed some adjustment mainly where it clashed with the stab hinge eyelet reinforcement.

I think I will move the fuselage into my jig when the time comes to glue the post and eyelets in, mainly to get the eyelets square to the wing.

GB
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:07 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
Hi Jaap, thanks for telling us what is happening over there. Great stuff.

Your wings did not look too bad from the photos, I can see some filler, might be different close up of course.

I should start building the wings soon, it is going slightly quicker than I thought it would.

Cheers

Gary
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Believe me, they were bad ;-)

If you check the pictures closely you can see that they even have different aileron length ;-) One wing felt apart when i picked it up :-p
Japie.G is offline Find More Posts by Japie.G
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:37 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
Scary full-size Mini Nimbus flying story No.1

I just popped up to the loft to look for my old slides and I tried copying them just by photographing the projected images, seems to have worked!!

Innsbruck 1990 (could have been 1991!):

I launched by winch and a good friend who owned a Ventus bT joined me at the top of the mountain, we flew in loose formation, waving to each other and grinning, then he disappeared.

I maintained a good lookout (as all glider pilots should) and thought that he had decided to go back to the field. I don't know why I didn't use the radio to find out where he was.

Flying straight and level, something made me look up, not 10 feet above my canopy was his retractable undercarriage doors!!! Crikey!! If I had pushed the stick forward to dive away I would have hit his tail with mine (we had parachutes but it would'nt have been pretty). I moved the flaps into a negative (up) position as this made the Mini loose height but in a flatter attitude.

It shook me quite badly how close we had come to colliding, then it got a bit stranger. A voice came on the radio saying it was Innsbruck air traffic and they wanted my passport number, a very unusual request and my mind had gone elsewhere by this time.

I didn't know it but it was the chairman of the Innsbruck gliding club, they were all practical jokers, just came coincidentally at a very bad time.

Over 20 years ago but it's a very vivid memory.

Some piccies.

GB
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:39 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japie.G View Post
Believe me, they were bad ;-)

If you check the pictures closely you can see that they even have different aileron length ;-) One wing felt apart when i picked it up :-p
Not so good then?!! I have seen some 'interestingly' built models in the past!!
Old Apr 07, 2011, 07:21 AM
Pinetown,South Africa
Joined Feb 2006
196 Posts
Hi Gary - whats happening with the build? Any progress to photograph and report on?
Glen
absolute novice is offline Find More Posts by absolute novice
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:22 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
Hi Glen, it's not progressed since the last post. I've had a short slope soaring holiday, been busy at work and I'm currently putting 2.4 radio gear in my Chris Foss Centi-Phase as that model is ready to fly otherwise.

Slightly in front of the Mini-Nimbus in the queue is the Veron Vortex, that just needs covering and final assembly.

On top of that I've got a full-size Tiger Moth to finish ready for the summer.

Basically I've got too many fingers in too many pies!!

I will plod along with the Mini-Nimbus throughout this year and will post any progress, now the better weather is here I will be spending more time flying models than building them.

Cheers

Gary
Old Apr 08, 2011, 10:00 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
I lied a bit!!

Well, after saying I had done nothing I've just spent half a day in the garden having a first look at building the wings!

The wings could be built at any stage and I've decided to stop work on the fin until I've made some pushrods (the stab bellcrank has to go in before the fin post is fixed).

On to the wings then; I've read the instructions a dozen times but having all the pieces laid out on the plan helps enormously.

First step was to make sure that I had all the ribs, yep, but there were two extra ply root ribs! I think someone made these as they have 'P' and 'S' written on them (port/starboard). A small mystery. Another mystery is that some of the ply root ribs have small doublers around the joiner tube holes, it looks like these have been fitted to correct oversize holes, possibly by Graupner, dunno?!!

The ply ribs needed a small amount of adjustment to open the spar slots and joiner tube holes, the balsa ribs were ok apart from the ones under the spoilers, cut outs not quite deep enough. I find it far easier to adjust the ribs before assembly, I've learnt the hard way about this!!

The ribs will need a passage for servo wires (I won't be using the Bowden cable and single servo idea), there are notches already at the rib noses, just need to enlarge them slightly.

The wing joiner system doesn't look very strong for the span to me but it must work, I'll add some spacers between the main tube and spars when it comes to fitting them.

Sorting through the strip wood was a useful exercise as there is a lot of it. I've taken a lot of photos and added explanations in the captions, mainly for Jaap who is building a new set of wings on the Dutch forum, enjoy!

Cheers

Gary
Old Apr 08, 2011, 03:54 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
For some reason the foam wing option looks far more attractive now! I'll just pop down to the shop and get one!

Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound! I do actually enjoy building built-up glider wings, I think these ones were intended to be built during long, cold German winter evenings though!

I was forced to have a tidy up in the shed to make enough room on the building board then I laid down a copy of the wing plan, the last few inches of the tip is on another part of the plan and has to be 'cut and pasted', no problem.

I'm going to follow the instructions quite closely as I could come 'unstuck' if I don't.

First step is to pin down the trailing edge packing jig, it has to go slightly forward relative to the trailing edge position and a 1.5 mm packer is added at the tip, presumably for washout although it looks like there is some already built in.

Next thing they say to do is splice the trailing edge, I've made the cut but will leave gluing it until I've dry fitted everything. if the sweep forward of the outer t.e. section is slightly wrong then the rib tails won't line up (they don't mention that little 'gotcha'!).

Not sure when I'll get on to it again as I know I'm busy with other stuff next week but I'm looking forward to throwing some glue at it.

Cheers

GB
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:37 PM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
914 Posts
I'm enjoying your build Gary. Reminds me of a built-up Graupner kit I made as a teenager. It followed the "why use 4 parts when 76 would do" school of design. Time consuming but dead satisfying. Not sure I'd have the patience now!

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:35 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
It's funny, I think my patience threshold for model building has got better as I have got older (but not for other things like tardy contractors!!).

It's not quite the 'Eifel Tower out of matchsticks' but it's not far off! It's got plenty of spar webs (all the way out to the tips) but no rib capping strips.

I was thinking about the wing joiners last night and how the wings are held together, there are bolts that clamp the rods in the fuselage tubes but I assume the rods must get glued into the wing tubes. There are so many instructions, I think that bit is on the 'RC install' plan. Yep, just found that bit and that's what they say to do.

Not keen on that idea, if they bend I won't be able to straighten them. The Multiplex Uni-Lock system works well on the Hi-Phase but I've only got pairs of the stronger grip ones left (would need a lot of force to release them).

Won't get much done next week as my domestic calendar has just been filled!

GB
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Apr 09, 2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Add note
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:35 AM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
490 Posts
Here is what it will look like when you get done it is not only a great looking but flys good Enjoy
Mr. Kite is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Last edited by Mr. Kite; Apr 16, 2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added Photo
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:46 AM
Pinetown,South Africa
Joined Feb 2006
196 Posts
Here's mine, finally!

Finally put the finishing touches to my Mini Nimbus over the weekend. Here are a few pictures of her. Now for the maiden....
Glen
absolute novice is offline Find More Posts by absolute novice