HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Just found this new Dutch thread on a Mini Nimbus, some nice photos there and in post #18 there is a link to a very nice scan of the decals.

My Dutch is not very good but it looks like the guy has just bought it, not sure but near the end they might be plotting laser cut wing ribs.

I'm looking at the stab pivot parts and hit a problem but my camera battery has died, soon be charged up.
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:23 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
I registered over there and dropped into the thread, what a challenge!! The forum uses the same platform as RC Groups so I recognised the right buttons to press!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:52 PM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
Nice find on that Dutch site Gary. Happy birthday too.

Funny - my kit had basically the same extra Fin spar. I assumed it was for shipping of the fuse to keep it straight. I also saved it incase I need to rebuild my fin. great pics - and great work with the wood.

Thanks, Jim
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:01 PM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
Oh ya- I think you are doing well with the weight on your stab. My finished foam core stab covered (with lightening holes cut out of the foam/balsa) including the leading edge wood dowel is at 63g finished.

Cheers
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Cheers, I was just surfing Google and found it! The thread was only started last week, I'm sure they will reply to me, I don't know a Dutchman that can't speak English better than I can!

It looks like one guy has the model in the start of the thread and another has the purple(?) fuselage and is plotting ribs to make wings (I'd go for a foam wing myself!).

It's interesting where these builds can lead you.

That piece of wood caused some grief! I wouldn't use it anyway as it is likely to get stuck in there.

I have to say that despite the fantastic instructions, plans and apparent high quality parts that I have hit a number of small problems that are dulling my initial impression. The tailplane was not an easy build (single piece ribs, no jig tabs and a double strip spar (top and bottom) might have been a better design. Even the very simple rudder had a problem that was difficult to spot.

I have hit another problem with the stab pivot that seems to be caused by the metal bushes being 0.5 mm too long, trivia perhaps but it stops it working correctly. I will always 'fess up' and admit if I have misunderstood the plan or instructions, have to be fair to the kit manufacturer (not that it matters now with this being out of production for almost 30 years).

Instead of 'boldly going' I will tread carefully with this one from now on and view each part and construction step with suspicion!

Still love it though!

GB
Old Mar 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Oh ya- I think you are doing well with the weight on your stab. My finished foam core stab covered (with lightening holes cut out of the foam/balsa) including the leading edge wood dowel is at 63g finished.

Cheers
It's mostly thin air! Got to keep it light at the back as we know, one banana at the back needs four bananas or more in the nose to balance it. I see some extra bracing of the tailplane and rudder in that Dutch thread, the parts are relatively flimsy but I don't think it's needed, Graupner didn't either.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:06 AM
Pinetown,South Africa
Joined Feb 2006
196 Posts
[QUOTE=No worries Glen, hope they are good enough quality for you to use. What is your plan for the canopy? Gary[/QUOTE]

Gary, that Dutch site just solved my decal problem - many thanks for that!
Ah, the canopy - I abused my modelling friends that have the correct equipment, and got one to carve and shape a wooden plug for the canopy, and another with a vacuum forming machine to produce a few plastic canopies. I then chose the best one, and cut and trimmed to shape and glued it on to a ply frame.
Unfortunately, I could not replicate the side hinging and side catch, so went for a more conventional dowel in front and tiny screw fastener at the back.
Looks good from a few feet away, so I am happy with it - besides, the original was semi scale to begin with anyway, so not too stressed about it.
I will take pictures when she is done and post them here - please don't be too critical
Cheers
absolute novice is offline Find More Posts by absolute novice
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:12 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Critical, moi?!! You want to see some of my efforts close up!!!

The canopy arrangement does look tricky with its rivetted hinges and latch in a slot. Not much less trickier at the back end where I am fiddling with the stab rocker.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:17 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post

Funny - my kit had basically the same extra Fin spar. I assumed it was for shipping of the fuse to keep it straight.
Ah, I think you might be right there Jim, there are Sellotape marks on the fin where the trailing edges have been held together.

It's like an episode of 'Columbo' this build!!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Hi there!

I am the topicstarter on the Dutch forum. I indeed made some scans of the origional decals. I will make scans of the rest too :-) I even have a digital 1 on 1 scan of the building plans. Thanks for posting this thread! Always nice to read lots and lots of information about this kit!

At this moment i am busy to transform the wingribs to digital files so i can CNC them :-)

I'll keep track on this thread!

Regards,
Jaap

P.S. My English in writing is'nt very good, i'm sorry :-)
Japie.G is offline Find More Posts by Japie.G
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:00 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Hi Jaap, welcome to RC Groups!

There is no problem with your English, it is far better than my Dutch!!

It looks like we have started a worldwide Graupner Mini Nimbus club!

Cheers

Gary
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Thank you! It's a beautifull bird! I hope to fly her this summer!

Unfortunately i am missing one of the airbrakes ( the white part ). Somebody happen to have it? And willing to send it to the Netherlands? I would be very happy with it!
Last edited by Japie.G; Mar 24, 2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:21 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
I do have another set but they are complete and needed for another model, sorry!

They come up on eBay quite regularly, especially eBay de. Next time I see them I will let you know, if they are in England I can buy them for you and send them over.

Search for 'Landeklappen 93' or 'Graupner 93'.

Jaap, can you explain for us what is happening in the Dutch thread please? It looks like you have an almost complete model and someone else has a fuselage but no wings?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
I am working right now, but tonight i will explain it in english!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:38 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,899 Posts
Ok Jaap!

I have just searched internet shops in England and other countries, no Nr.93 spoilers in stock. They are a discontinued item.

I will keep looking for you.

Gary