SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:21 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Aha, another one!! No worries Glen.

I've taken a photo for you, scanning it might be better.

If you go to the Schempp-Hirth website, look under 'Flugzeuge' (or click on the Union Jack!) and have a look at the Nimbus 4 'PDF's, the logo is there in a slightly different form.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:43 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Tailplane fun.

I've started gluing things together, I'm finding the tailplane construction quite tricky.

It's all built in mid-air as the ribs have jigging tabs that get broken off, it was difficult to know how to approach it, the Graupner instructions say to fit the centre section blocks last, didn't seem right to me to do it that way.

I've made the basic frame of spars, leading and trailing edge and then started to slot the ribs in. A bit of a slow process as I have to wait for the PVA to dry at each step.

I'm sure the foam tailplane would have been far easier to build!

I wondered what 'v' and 'h' meant on the ribs then it came to me, 'vorn' and 'hinten' (front and rear). I speak fairly good German from living there for nine years, comes in handy when reading the original language instructions.

Something else that tickles me is Graupner's precise translation of the strip wood sizes, e.g. 11 13/16 x 15/32 x 5/32 inches has me looking for a piece that is 300 x 12 x 4 mm!! I was brought up on inch sized balsa but these are uncommon sizes, far easier to use the metric dimensions. All good fun.

GB
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:50 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Getting there, hope the wings are easier!!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:51 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Just about finished the tailplane, phew! I usually spend time removing excess glue but I felt it needed glue adding at all the joints, just a fillet wiped with a finger.

A bit more sanding and the wire trailing edge brace is still to be added. Weight at the moment is 34 g. That's 40 plus parts that I don't have to look for in the box anyway!!

Don't know what to do next, either build the rudder or assemble the stab rocker to see it in action!!

T'is my birthday tomorrow (will probably get an e-mail from RC Groups to remind me!) so might not get much done, no rush.

GB
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:00 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Ruddery bit.

Well, the rudder seems to be winning!

Just found the major parts and having a look how it goes together, the rudder itself looks very simple but there's more to it with the hinges and linkage.

There are two laminated fin posts, one has been snapped clean in half somehow (makes you wonder?!!) and glued back together, it's got a nice bend in it as well so a replacement will have to be made.

It's a shame that the rudder is so big, one of the more un-scale features of this kit, Multiplex seemed to make their semi-scale gliders of this era much more true. No problem though, it is what it is!!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:21 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
After looking at the plan and instructions I can't see where the broken/mended piece of wood is supposed to be used!!

The fin spar is not laminated, just the one slotted piece.

Only thing I can think of is that it is a guide for tapering the half-round rudder leading edge but it's not mentioned in the instructions.

Confused? Yep!!

Time to give up for today I think.

GB
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
Also known as simon_t
Kent, England
Joined Nov 2005
273 Posts
Looking at the 3rd drawing, schnitt B - B it shows that the rudder leading edge is made up of two sections - the one furthest away from the hinge line looks similar to the fixed fin post. The rounded section is glued on the front of it.

Simon
en_spt is offline Find More Posts by en_spt
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:48 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
It's confusing for sure! What I think we are seeing in section B-B is that the fin post is recessed 5 mm from the trailing edge of the fin (so it looks like there are two fin posts!).

Section N-N (second photo) shows the fin post (9) and rudder leading edge (19) but not this other bit. Stumped!!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:17 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Mmmmm...very strange!!

Just popped out to the shed and laid the parts over the plan, all fits perfectly with no apparent home for this other piece!!

Have taken a picture of the plan view showing the fin and rudder post, there's another slight mystery. A hole is shown in the fin post for 'bellcrank and clevises' (presumably the stab bellcrank). there's no clearance problem, perhaps it is just for access? I wouldn't normally bother, just build it in and seal it up for life!!

If this is a Graupner part (and it looks like the same colour and grain as the fin post) then it's a complete mystery how it got in the box!!

GB
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Sanity check!

I definitely think this part is a 'red herring' now after looking at two more pictures from the instructions.

It might help if it had a part number stamped on it, the fin post and rudder leading edge don't either, probably because it should be obvious what they are.

I won't throw it away just yet though!!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:20 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Well, I read the German instructions thoroughly just in case I missed something, nothing, nichts!

It could be used as a depth stop to position the fin post accurately at 5 mm depth, maybe we'll never know what it was supposed to be for!!

GB
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:50 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,060 Posts
Gary,

YES!! It is indeed the fin post depth gauge. This technique is used on other Graupner models of that era. (Surprising that it isn't identified as such).

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:08 AM
Pinetown,South Africa
Joined Feb 2006
196 Posts
Thanks Gary, much obliged. Keep up the excellent work, I am following with great interest.
Glen
absolute novice is offline Find More Posts by absolute novice
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:11 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Eureka!

Aha! It was driving me nuts!!

Can't find any mention of it at all (probably will at the end!). Seems unusual for Graupner to miss it out of the instructions as they appear to have covered absolutely everything else in minute detail (a bit like my build threads!!). Perhaps there was an addendum sheet like the one in the Cirrus? Mystery solved, thanks John.

No worries Glen, hope they are good enough quality for you to use. What is your plan for the canopy?

Cheers

Gary
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:03 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,865 Posts
Got most of the rudder construction done (took hours!), just the hinge tubes to be added and round off the bottom rib.

It didn't look quite right when I was sanding it, the top and bottom ribs were thicker than the other ribs and a different section, more symmetrical airfoil shape where the other ribs were triangular. Threw me for a bit!

Have had a quick look at the fuselage and fin post, I think I need to rewind and follow the instructions now as the elevator drive and fin rib need to go in.

I read somewhere that a bare glass fuselage is no good if it balances behind the wing trailing edge, no worries with this one as it balances about an inch in front of that point. The fin sides are very thin, there are a couple of cracks in the gel coat where it has flexed over the years but nothing to worry about.

GB