HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bkessler, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
Discussion
Taking suggestions on possible changes to the classified's system

I would like to hear suggestions for changes to the classified section. If you have an issue with the classified system that you would like addressed, but don't have a good idea on how to fix it, feel free to post it and we will take a look at it or maybe another user can suggest a fix for it.

Here is the list of suggestions so far (as of 3/30/2011)
  • Seller must have minimum number of posts or have buyer feedback to sell an item
  • Add state abbreviation of seller's location to the subject line
  • Require pictures in the ad listing
  • Have the pm button in the classifieds automatically put the thread link in the pm
  • Mandatory sold item notification for the ad - When the item is marked as sold, it could also automatically lock the ad.
  • Require actual ownership of the item that is being sold.
  • Ability to sort by ads you have posted or ads that you have replied to
  • Add warbird section
  • Require locations
  • Add the ability to sort by ads with pictures attached.
  • Have a post preview that shows pictures, price/trade, location, shipping
  • Delete old posts or move them to an archive. Archive would be read-only.
  • Feedback - Link directly to the feedback section from the post
  • Add a "Local Pickup Only" thread prefix
  • Require price in subject line
  • Add warning about using the paypal gift option
  • Local Pick-up forum
  • Search by zipcode
  • Add a "Plans For Sale" thread prefix
  • Break up classified forums into more specific categories.
  • Add forums for other countries.
  • User pages that list all of the user's items for sale
  • Add a "For Trade" thread prefix
  • Voting on traders to eliminate spammers
  • Country abbreviation in the title
  • Add a forum for wanted ads
  • If an ad has no activity for 14 days, move it to the archives and mark as un-sold with an option for the original poster to re-list it.
  • Standard form for submitting classified ads
This is only the compiled list of suggestions so far. It does not mean they are going to be implemented but I would like to hear more feedback on these ideas and I would also like to hear more ideas.
bkessler is offline Find More Posts by bkessler
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:55 PM
Spring warmth will soon arrive
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,006 Posts
classified changes

a couple suggestions, based on experiences from some gun boards that I belong to.

A seller must have a minumum number of posts to be able to sell, or several positive feedback received from previous buys. NO new members with zero feedback are allowed to sell an item. Its an idea...a person would have to buy a few items, receive feedback for the purchases, and then are cleared to post a For Sale ad.

Ideally, the state abbreviation would be very helpfull in the subject line of the item for sale, ie WA, OR, CA, IL, etc etc
helps to identify quickly, items that may be prohibitive to ship due to size, cost, but would be snatched up quickly by a local buyer.

paid membership to be able to use the classifieds ( probably wouldn't be well received, but perhaps a few bucks per year to be able to sell an item..) tends to weed out the quick scam's.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Mar 16, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:04 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Sep 2010
111 Posts
Does the distance column not work as an identifier of a local seller for you?
bkessler is offline Find More Posts by bkessler
Administrator
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:37 AM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Jan 2010
66 Posts
I agree with chyhavoc38, I haven't been here for that long, but I notice that there are alot of sellers that have their info incomplete, or its hard to know where they are shipping from. also, I know this is optional, but it would be awesome if pictures of the items for sale are required. its hard to buy something when no photos are posted.
Angeljesus1mtz is offline Find More Posts by Angeljesus1mtz
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:30 AM
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined May 2010
269 Posts
For the above concerns, Perhaps require complete location info before a sale.

Is it possible to have a pm button in the for sale threads that can auto put the post link in the pm? I do this manually as before doing it I needed to hunt down the origional post to leave feedback.
ryokox3 is offline Find More Posts by ryokox3
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:22 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
I have sold a couple of things, so I don't have much of a trader rating. So limiting anything that stifles someone who wants to sell something baised on a trader rating I believe is not in the spirit.

I would like to see the sold indication manditory. I can't tell you the number of times I have looked at an item, only having to find that in the thread of that item it is sold, but the header stills says forsale.
Also I would like to see sold items moved below the for sale or wanted items. You have to scroll through lots of items to find some that are or have not been sold.
I would like the info to be complete. Also a way to buy the item or items other than via pm and then finding out someone has already beaten you to it.
Conehead

Thanks for the opportunity to say something.
Orrin Eldred
Also I find the mileage link doesn't work many times. Some people I know are listed many miles away, when they are just a few hundred. One person is listed as 4000 miles away, I know it is only a couple of hundred. Something is amiss there.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Mar 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added thought
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:57 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
require actual owner ship of an item to sell it
too many group buys tend to go bad
theres people running affiliate sales off of the classifieds

i also agree with havok above that profile info should be verified by ip
i have no issue with paying a subscription fee for selling here but many people i have discussed it in here with(on open forum) would have nothing to do with a fee based site for selling and to be honest as a buyer id be unhappy to see those items no longer on table

maybe all active member can have one for sale a month with no fees and those of us who actively use the for sale could pay a yearly fee which would in no way liable the site we would just be paying for the extra bandwidth we use
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:02 PM
r/c addict
USA, LA, DeRidder
Joined Jul 2004
202 Posts
no fees ebay does enough of that
nitrodude71 is offline Find More Posts by nitrodude71
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkessler View Post
Does the distance column not work as an identifier of a local seller for you?
no.
Given that you cannot see how far someone is from you until you click the link into the ad, it has always proven helpfull to have the State identifier in the Subject line for quick perusal.

If a person is in the market for an airframe, it makes it nice and easy to browse for their own state sellers first.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude71 View Post
no fees ebay does enough of that
I for one, never said a fee based system such as ebay.

A subscription based system where if a person wanted to see their wares here, surely a small sign up cost of $5 or $10 a year wouldn't turn that many off. If it did, then you really need to think on how much success you've had selling items here, and that tossing a bit of it back once a year to rcgroups is a small price to pay no?

But absent of fee's, there are many boards out there that require an absolute minimum number of posts before a person has access to the "classifieds" section.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:01 PM
I need more room!
Cape Cod MA
Joined Nov 2005
334 Posts
I agree with most of the above comments. I would love to see location. I would also like to be able to access a list of all classifieds I've posted to in the last 6 months to a year. "Who was that guy with the servo deals?" It would be easy to lookup if I could trace where I've been.

JB
mrblucor is offline Find More Posts by mrblucor
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:19 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
USA, TX, Longview
Joined Jan 2010
1,218 Posts
Classifieds

I agree with having some kind of drop down box and it be required to have a state in the title listing great idea!

I buy and sell here, not for a living but I love being able to grab a deal now and then and try to pass along some when I have extra stuff.

The reason I bought a "membership" is because I felt like I owed RCG a little bit for allowing me to buy/sell here not to mention the incredible service they provide for us. I mean think about all the info that is here... it still blows my mind sometimes. I can't think of the last time I had a wild bug about a certain engine, plane or something and wanted to know some more.... Guess where Google points 9 times out of 10.

Anyway, my 2 cents, I feel this site provides many valuable services and I'd kick a little more in to see it get a bit better! -S-
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,519 Posts
I don't know if this has already been suggested but mixing the classifies in with the forms would draw more attention to them.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:59 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,534 Posts
My 1st thought being a mandatory on location for any member, existing or new. That allows me to decide where/whom I might buy from with respect to shipping. I'd have to disagree with cryhavoc on the "A seller must have a minumum number of posts to be able to sell, or several positive feedback received from previous buys. NO new members with zero feedback are allowed to sell an item." If that were the case, I'd probably not be here. I've purchased/sold from 0 feedbacks and have yet to have problems. Thank goodness! I don't really care whether sale items have images or not. When it comes to plain jane items like servos, recvrs, etc., I know what they look like. If a seller is selling a bird or heli then I'd expect to see images. No images, no sale and no business from me. I'd like to see what I'm buying.

When an item IS SOLD, I expect the seller to close the listing. No closure, (within 2 days) then a 60 day ban on selling on a 1st offense. 120 day ban on the 2nd offense. Gets worse from here.. But trying to validate this and enforce it is totally absurd in even thinking RCG could actually enforce it without a massive amount of support from the members. That's where the members need to step up and help RCG. I wouldn't EVER EXPECT RCG to get a handle on this at this time much less put a burden like this on the site. Take a look at RC Universe, there's items listed there that are sold over a year ago and are still for sale.

Here's a classic example from RCG: The listing--http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409077 was posted on Mar 19, 2011, 09:03 AM and here's the members login date, Last Activity: Today 08:10 PM (03-21-2011) This item is listed as sold but the thread isn't closed, why? The member HAD to login to change the wording but didn't lock/close the thread? I don't believe there's an option to mark an item sold is there? If there was/is, then perhaps the item needs to be an auto delete when marked as sold?

Respective of mrblucor:"I would also like to be able to access a list of all classifieds I've posted to", that's available thru the members profile in the members blog under 'find all posts by (members name).

I have to agree with the following by -S-, "The reason I bought a "membership" is because I felt like I owed RCG a little bit for allowing me to buy/sell here not to mention the incredible service they provide for us. I mean think about all the info that is here... it still blows my mind sometimes. I can't think of the last time I had a wild bug about a certain engine, plane or something and wanted to know some more"

I know my piddly 20 bucks membership isn't much but I hope it helps RCG. The money I've saved and the knowledge I've gained has been more then what I've ever given back to RCG. All in all, I humbly thank RCG for being here and the support that has made all my RC flying/building a wonderful experience. I love being able to help others, gain knowledge on new products and discover innovative ways to resolve basic problems we all suffer through.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by deckert; Mar 22, 2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: new info
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:02 AM
Joined Dec 2007
215 Posts
Thank you for the service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkessler View Post
I would like to hear suggestions for changes to the classified section. If you have an issue with the classified system that you would like addressed, but don't have a good idea on how to fix it, feel free to post it and we will take a look at it or maybe another user can suggest a fix for it.
Despite the possible changes that are probably due on the way - I would like to just THANK RcGroups.com so much for their support and incredible public classifieds' service! It as truly helped millions of hobby enthusiast salvage, recycle, resell with-in a great community of fine folks! Thank you so much!! Micron5
micron5 is offline Find More Posts by micron5