HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:43 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
Careful!
Food price hikes the biggest in 36 years..!

I have noticed it earlier this month.Items that were once 3/$5,quickly went to $1.79 ea....yesterday they are already $1.89 each.I think this is just the beginning of HUGE price hikes.

Food prices increase most in 36 years

Food prices soared 3.9 percent last month, the biggest gain since November 1974. Most of that increase was due to a sharp rise in veggie costs, which increased nearly 50 percent. That was the most in a year. Meat and dairy products also rose rapidly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20043737.shtml
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
But, those on SS didn't get any cost of living raise for the last couple of years because there hasn't been any inflation. I would think that some people would be really feeling the extra cost. First in gas, and now in food. I wonder what obammy is going to do for those people to get their vote. If prices keep on going up like this, I would think it would cost him quite a few votes in 2012.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:59 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Brace yourselves. This time of year those prices are usually in a slight downward trend but they have just taken the largest jump since 1974. I expect food prices to go much, much higher by late summer.
Welcome back Carter.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
But, those on SS didn't get any cost of living raise for the last couple of years because there hasn't been any inflation. I would think that some people would be really feeling the extra cost. First in gas, and now in food. I wonder what obammy is going to do for those people to get their vote. If prices keep on going up like this, I would think it would cost him quite a few votes in 2012.
true..Gov. economists have been known to 'tweak the numbers' to make it appear inflation isn't as bad as it seems.

I feel this time next year it will be a major prob to most seniors on a fixed income or without COLA increases in their pensions.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:16 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYPILEIT View Post
true..Gov. economists have been known to 'tweak the numbers' to make it appear inflation isn't as bad as it seems.

I feel this time next year it will be a major prob to most seniors on a fixed income or without COLA increases in their pensions.
It just may be a major problem for obammy too. Unless he throws out some more empty promises and enough people actually believe him.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:41 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,427 Posts
Hmmm... I dunno if you guys are normally safe guarded from such things happening in the World, but we've been seeing it happen for the last year!

(That doesn't make it easier to tolerate, but you can at least enjoy the fact that you've had it better for longer.. )
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:51 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I like this guys comment to a Fed Bigwig:
Quote:
The former Goldman Sachs chief economist gave a speech explaining the economy's progress and the Fed's successes, but come question time the main thing the crowd wanted to know was why they're paying so much more for food and gas. Keep in mind the Fed doesn't think food and gas prices matter to its policy calculations because they aren't part of "core" inflation.

So Mr. Dudley tried to explain that other prices are falling. "Today you can buy an iPad 2 that costs the same as an iPad 1 that is twice as powerful," he said. "You have to look at the prices of all things."

Reuters reports that this "prompted guffaws and widespread murmuring from the audience," with someone quipping, "I can't eat an iPad." Another attendee asked, "When was the last time, sir, that you went grocery shopping?"
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...452719274.html

Was raising food prices in one of the boxes on Obama's March Madness chart?
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:59 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Rule number one of intentional inflation of money supply: it benefits the first recipients the most, since they get it before prices rise due to the expansion

now...the rises.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:10 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Wonderf__k!!
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:25 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Wonderf__k!!
Also known as craptastic.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:11 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
Also known as craptastic.
Not emphatic enough.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:26 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
If food prices keep going up like they have. I would be very careful when leaving the store and going to your car in the parking lot. You'll get robbed for your food.
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:53 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Tell me. I eat bacon on weekends. It goes up a quarter every week. Faster than gasoline. For hog belly fat.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:01 AM
Government is a fearful master
United States, TX, Farwell
Joined Feb 2001
157 Posts
When you have to use high priced corn to feed your beeves and hogs, things are going to get pricey. Feed corn is high priced because of using it to produce ethanol. Higher fuel costs mean higher transportation costs and food prices. Crop failures over seas mean higher food costs. Approx 1/2 our wheat went overseas last year.
electroman7 is offline Find More Posts by electroman7
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:07 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjo View Post
If food prices keep going up like they have. I would be very careful when leaving the store and going to your car in the parking lot. You'll get robbed for your food.
Not impossible, that. That kind of thing is one reason I have a CCW permit.