HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
prop wash
biggy boy's Avatar
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Discussion
Cell towers and radio TX hits FM ver 2.4ghz???

Hi
I'm still running Fm radios, a Futaba 6 Chanel and a JR 8 Chanel.

I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading to a Spectrum system 2.4 GHz?
Are the 2.4GHz systems susceptible to being hit by cell towers, radio and TV towers signals?

I got hit yesterday while flying near a cell tower that probably has radio station and maybe TV on it. The plane was above two steel sheds when My elevator went full down and so did my Stryker. It hit the ground at about 40 mph.
Caught it on video

Anyway is 2.4 GHz susceptible to interference?


Thanks
Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:19 AM
E-Gliders
outngo's Avatar
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
In Canada, I dunno about the 2.4 band or how they use it. Most companies have taken into effect interference issues and implemented them, so stuff like that won't happen.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:48 AM
prop wash
biggy boy's Avatar
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outngo View Post
In Canada, I dunno about the 2.4 band or how they use it. Most companies have taken into effect interference issues and implemented them, so stuff like that won't happen.
When you say most companies are you referring to, the RC radio manufactures, Futaba Spectrum...
Or the manufactures of other 2.4 devised IE: cell towers dishes, cordless phones, 2 way radios FRS?

One of the guys that works at the LHS told me he doesn't trust the 2.4 and still flies his expensive helis with a JR FM radio!?!?!?


Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:55 AM
59 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
Hi
I'm still running Fm radios, a Futaba 6 Chanel and a JR 8 Chanel.

I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading to a Spectrum system 2.4 GHz?
Are the 2.4GHz systems susceptible to being hit by cell towers, radio and TV towers signals?

Anyway is 2.4 GHz susceptible to interference?
Thanks
Glen
Simple answer: NO. That's one of the very good reasons to go to 2.4. Avoiding the risk of being shot down by someone on the same frequency is another (and avoiding the hassle of frequency pins, etc.) is another. Virtual immunity to electrical noise is a big one if you fly electric. No long antenna to find a place for on small models. No long TX antenna to poke people with (seriously, after you've flown 2.4 for a while, the long antenna on a 72 TX is really strange and awkward).

About the only real benefit of staying on 72 (other than cost) is if you want to use a 2.4 GHz video transmitter for FPV.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:56 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
If you were hit on FM, that is a good reason to switch to 2.4.

There must be a good reason when drove of people are changing to 2.4.

The second hand market is glut with 72MHz radios people are dumping. FM has become dynosauer.

Either 72 or 2.4, it is best not to fly near a cell tower or transmission tower. Radio wave generates numerous harmonics which could affect your radio.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Last edited by John Kim; Mar 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:05 PM
prop wash
biggy boy's Avatar
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
OK thanks John
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:07 PM
prop wash
biggy boy's Avatar
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Simple answer: NO. That's one of the very good reasons to go to 2.4. Avoiding the risk of being shot down by someone on the same frequency is another (and avoiding the hassle of frequency pins, etc.) is another. Virtual immunity to electrical noise is a big one if you fly electric. No long antenna to find a place for on small models. No long TX antenna to poke people with (seriously, after you've flown 2.4 for a while, the long antenna on a 72 TX is really strange and awkward).

About the only real benefit of staying on 72 (other than cost) is if you want to use a 2.4 GHz video transmitter for FPV.
Ok thanks for the good answer Daedalus66 !!!
I'll check into upgrading into 2.4 GHz


Glen
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:44 PM
Registered User
Tulsa Int, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Oct 2003
239 Posts
Getting close to any source of transmission is not a good idea. The transmitter would overdrive the receiver (regardless of frequency). That is why you cannot bind your receiver if the transmitter is too close.

Oh and another thing, 2.4 is less susceptible to interference....but its still susceptible. Just practice good common sense when installing (like do not put your 2.4 receiver next to the electronic ignition module of your gas engine). fyi, I saw this yesterday
wildnloose is offline Find More Posts by wildnloose
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:24 PM
prop wash
biggy boy's Avatar
North of Toronto in Ontario
Joined Dec 2002
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildnloose View Post
Getting close to any source of transmission is not a good idea. The transmitter would overdrive the receiver (regardless of frequency). That is why you cannot bind your receiver if the transmitter is too close.

Oh and another thing, 2.4 is less susceptible to interference....but its still susceptible. Just practice good common sense when installing (like do not put your 2.4 receiver next to the electronic ignition module of your gas engine). fyi, I saw this yesterday
Yes what you are saying makes sense.
I haven't flown in that spot in 3 years, and now when I think back this happened before in the exact same spot. Darned K.R.A.F.T.

Anyway..... I had it out flying again today but this time no towers around. It's too bad the spot with the tower is right behind my back yard, all I have to do is hop the fence and I'm flying.

Here's a video of it. It's best watched in full size.

stryker crash (0 min 55 sec)
biggy boy is offline Find More Posts by biggy boy
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:35 PM
Twisted and Confused
flyonline's Avatar
Joined May 2003
4,266 Posts
Some real world results.

Multiple 36Mhz Txs, multilple Rxs, multiple brands - all had hits flying near a mobile tower (<200m) over many sessions. Every session would see at least 1 or 2 hits, sometimes many more. Other slopes didn't get anything.

FrSky (telemtry and non telemetry) - 0 hits so far over about 10 sessions. On my first outing there, I even flew waay across the slope so that the tower was directly between me and the plane and tried to get the plane down low so that it was very nearly covered by the tower by line of sight.

I'm convinced so far.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 03:15 AM
Exper-a-mental
cclarkkent's Avatar
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2007
83 Posts
Has anyone seen interference from other 2.4 transmitter radios that are non spectrum, interfering with a spectrum receiver. We have a guy on the field that flies on 2.4, but uses the cheap radio transmitter from China.
cclarkkent is offline Find More Posts by cclarkkent
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Stylus Radio with 2.4GHz Module + FM Module and RX - $275 scharck Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Feb 21, 2011 08:02 PM
For Sale Several brands of tx some with rx 2.4ghz and fm aerowoof Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Feb 06, 2011 05:38 PM
Yippee! Vendo tres radios 2 fm y un 2.4ghz markk25 Mexico 3 Sep 20, 2010 03:38 PM
Discussion Swarm: S-Pro FP II 2.4Ghz Micro Heli w/ 2.4Ghz Tx CrashingDutchman Micro Helis 0 Aug 30, 2010 05:07 AM
Discussion 2,4Ghz radio and 2,4Ghz video tx Macses FPV Talk 16 Jun 07, 2009 06:29 AM