HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by tr miller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:11 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
I seem to recall 4x4' sections of choroplast at Fleet Farm. There might even been some camo cardboard there too.
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
That coro at Fleet farm is worthless for planes. It's too heavy and weak. But, you can get the gutterpipe there in white or brown pretty cheaply.

You can buy 4 mil at signarama on NorDale for about $20 for a 4'X8' sheet if you want fresh stuff. I've got plenty of recycled political campaign signs. I dont' have most of it here in Appleton, but if people are really interested, I could get some of it up here.

The real trick is to get 2mil for the top wing skins. They fly much much better. An all 4mil is fine for comabt, but you've got to know what you're doing.

Pretty much all I fly anymore is SPADS and foamies. SPADWorld.net has everything you need to know about how to build one. Otherwise, let me know if you guys have specific questions.

Nick
GINMF is offline Find More Posts by GINMF
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
IMHO, the best SPAD for open B is the Dogfighter and the H.O.R. for SSC. But, both fly better and are easier to build with a 2 mil top wing skin.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:27 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINMF View Post
That coro at Fleet farm is worthless for planes. It's too heavy and weak. But, you can get the gutterpipe there in white or brown pretty cheaply.

You can buy 4 mil at signarama on NorDale for about $20 for a 4'X8' sheet if you want fresh stuff. I've got plenty of recycled political campaign signs. I dont' have most of it here in Appleton, but if people are really interested, I could get some of it up here.
Nick,

Is this the place you're talking about? http://www.valleysign-a-rama.com/

This isn't for planes, but to build a lightweight competition travel box for sailplanes. Anything would work for my application.

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
Yup, that's the place. They're pretty reasonable. Fast Signs is another place in town, but they want $80/sheet - which is pretty ridiculous.

But yeah, for a durable box, the fleet farm stuff would work fine.

I'd love to see combat take off at VAM, but I've been trying for the last three years with no luck.

Maybe this will help. This is one of the most intense combat rounds I've ever been in. I lost my streamer early, then ended up in a midair that took off a chunk of my elevator and knocked off my elevator pushrod. Luckily, I had spoilerons mixed in on that plane. So, I flipped the switch to activate them before I hit the ground. It effectively made my plane act like a really nose heavy flying wing. I flew out the round and landed safely. Enjoy!
OPENB2 (5 min 10 sec)
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:47 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
590 Posts
nice video nick! thanks for posting... hope you join us
tr miller is online now Find More Posts by tr miller
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:45 AM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
Well, I don't have a open B plane anymore. I only fly combat 2-3 times a year and couldnt' see having my gear occupied by a plane that gets flown so rarely. All that gear is currently in a pylon racer. I do have my SSC Draco that I could certainly chase streamers with.

Looks like I'll miss out on the first event since I'll be whitewater rafting out in CO, but I'll try and make the next one.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:36 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
613 Posts
FYI - I picked up a 4 x 4 (4 mil) white sheet for $13 at Sign A Rama in case others are still looking for this.
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:18 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
590 Posts
i will be building some spare planes this week, let me know if anyone is interested in having one, i think the arf price will come in around the $20.00-$30.00 mark, not including a fuel tank, motor mount, and push rods. i have most of the pieces cut out and could put a kit together if anyone wants to assemble their own.....thanks T.R.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:31 PM
Neenah WI
Joined Apr 2008
274 Posts
TR's new combat plane. EASY PREY. That's what we're calling it anyway..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLB-b2A5W0U
IBBUCK is offline Find More Posts by IBBUCK
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:42 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
590 Posts
thanks for posting, nice video. i was just sandbagging it, too many competitors around to open it up to let you see what it really does!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 05:06 AM
Neenah WI
Joined Apr 2008
274 Posts
OK I play along, but only because you're building one for me.
I wouldn't want it glued together with elmers or something.
YOU ARE THE MAN
IBBUCK is offline Find More Posts by IBBUCK
Old Apr 30, 2011, 04:02 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
613 Posts
After going all over town to find a yardstick this is the deal:
Menards $1.29 but they are painted yellow so instead of sanding them I decided to look elsewhere.

Fleet Farm - They do have the pvc downspout (square) so that's the only place around that seems to have that but their yardsticks were metal.

Galaxy - They have some more expensive very nice yardsticks but too nice to use for my combat plane. Oh well, needed a bunch of other things so it was worth the stop. I can't believe they didn't have a 40 sized engine on the shelf. K-man said they recently sold them all.

Northside True Value - Now we're talking. They have a whole box of yardsticks that are plain wood, clean and brand new looking at the end of the aisle for just .79 each.
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
Old Apr 30, 2011, 08:31 PM
appleton wi
Joined Dec 2008
100 Posts
think Im ready for some combat

Are the colors too loud? Thanks for the heads up on the yardsticks at Northside. Not going to get raped again for yardsticks at menards.
khamilton is offline Find More Posts by khamilton
Last edited by khamilton; Apr 30, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:29 PM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
What are these yardsticks made of? I have basswood I can plane down here if needed. Also have white ash.
Jason_WI is offline Find More Posts by Jason_WI