HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by tr miller, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:58 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
569 Posts
Yippee!
Combat anyone??

Looking to see if there would be enough interest in having a club combat league, it would be a compete with what ever you bring up to a .46 size engine to include trainers or flying wings what ever! I would like to see it on the first and third Monday evenings of the month say starting in June and running till September. Just looking to see if we would have enough interest to move forward with the idea, let me know what you think....thanks T.R.
tr miller is offline Find More Posts by tr miller
Last edited by szastoupil; Aug 03, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:35 PM
USA, WI, De Pere
Joined Sep 2010
26 Posts
I'm in
b.o.b is offline Find More Posts by b.o.b
Old Mar 16, 2011, 05:21 AM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,066 Posts
sounds like fun till i lose the plane.
knighttwister is offline Find More Posts by knighttwister
Old Mar 20, 2011, 01:36 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
569 Posts
we have only 3 with 50 members in the club ??? whats really goin on?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:34 PM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,066 Posts
it's still winter for anothe 3 hours and twenty nine minutes.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:04 AM
Neenah WI
Joined Apr 2008
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr miller View Post
we have only 3 with 50 members in the club ??? whats really goin on?
It's you TR, but don't take it personally or anything.
Besides it would be no contest.
IBBUCK is offline Find More Posts by IBBUCK
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:44 AM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBBUCK View Post
It's you TR, but don't take it personally or anything.
Besides it would be no contest.
yeah wade, you'd be out at take off!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
Neenah WI
Joined Apr 2008
274 Posts
Hey now! Who took out his own combat plane, even with no one else in the sky?
I think it was jimmy.
IBBUCK is offline Find More Posts by IBBUCK
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:52 PM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,066 Posts
yup, lesson learned.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:55 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
569 Posts
sounds like wade is in??? or won't play if he can't win!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
Joined Oct 2006
76 Posts
Quote:
Looking to see if there would be enough interest in having a club combat league, it would be a compete with what ever you bring up to a .46 size engine to include trainers or flying wings what ever! I would like to see it on the first and third Monday evenings of the month say starting in June and running till September. Just looking to see if we would have enough interest to move forward with the idea, let me know what you think....thanks T.R.
If we do a combat league, we really should agree on a class. If we want to stay legal with the AMA, the stand off distance from the pits gets really high with a .46 engine.

SSC is really a blast and a great way to get into combat. The blue head Magnum .15 is a great cheap engine. And, at SSC speeds, midairs usually don't result in alot of damage.

We could do Open B - which is up to .25 sized. There's enough room at our field for the required stand off, but my open B plane flies close to 100MPH. Midairs at those speeds are usually catastrophic.

It's up to you guys. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt. And, if someone does, AMA is going to investigate and may not be happy about combat without following combat rules.
GINMF is offline Find More Posts by GINMF
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
1/2A combat? Cheap engine (Cox Sure Start), small planes, lower speeds.
Jason_WI is online now Find More Posts by Jason_WI
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:05 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
T.R.,

For whatever it's worth, good luck with the combat project. I wouldn't be discouraged by the response here, actually it seems quite good. I'm guessing it would only take a few people, and a few more would be a bonus to make it worth your while. The group may look for your guidance to keep it cheap and keep it simple for the newbies. We've already exchanged emails offline in the the recommended guidelines look to be easy and straightforward to follow. Once you get established as a few person group you may want to keep the club officers in the loop to go about dedicating time for the league on a regular basis...if that's what you want.

A number of years ago Chris Z, Ryan T, and myself tried electric combat one night with the same plane design. It was fun while it lasted. My strategy was to make the opponents crash via extreme laughter by stalling into a tail slide and eating my own streamer to many bits.

Build it and they will come when the regulars of the field see how much fun you're having. I've been in the club long enough to see special interests come and go or stick. Five or six years ago I didn't set out to convert fellow members to handlaunch gliders, but it didn't take long for a dozen or more people to give it a try after watching my experiences. All one can do is encourage each other and feed off each other's enthusiasm. There are still a number of us flying handlaunch, some more serious than others. Next thing we knew that we're vacuum bagging wings, molding composite parts, building CNC machines, and traveling 500-1000 miles or more to contests.

Anyway, a little rambling on my part. Go for it.

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:12 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
569 Posts
a fiew of us that soloed last year have out grown our trainers and have them avaiable and ready to fly that is the reason for using a .46 engine. and if the plane is not working most people have a spare .46 engine in the shop. but feel free to bring a .15 or .25 combat ready plane it's only for fun and i will use my trainer against a wing or what ever, its all in the fun! we will use the ama setback rules but it will be limited to current club members!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 01:08 PM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,066 Posts
Quote:
a fiew of us that soloed last year have out grown our trainers and have them avaiable and ready to fly that is the reason for using a .46 engine. and if the plane is not working most people have a spare .46 engine in the shop. but feel free to bring a .15 or .25 combat ready plane it's only for fun and i will use my trainer against a wing or what ever, its all in the fun! we will use the ama setback rules but it will be limited to current club members!
ELITIST!!![/B]