SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2011, 03:10 PM
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
United States, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone vs.BlitzRCWorks F4U Corsair (which one)

So I was thinking for my second plane that I want to get something I can handle but with movement on them. I have Nexstar Mini, but I want to do things she really can't do. So I am looking at a Corsair ARF (RxR). I have the radio and receiver from my Mini that I am going to move over. I also have extra 1800 batteries that I am going to use.

I just can't decide between the two models.

It's either the Parkzone one.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4675

or the Blitz4RCWorks.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1861.html

I know the Blitz is cheaper, but is that the only difference? Any comments or suggestions?
wjohnson1186 is offline Find More Posts by wjohnson1186
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2011, 03:44 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
Are you really trying to decide which one is better? The well regarded ParkZone model, or the cheap, low quality Banana model?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:15 PM
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Well, I am a bit new to this hobby so money is something here. Have you had problems with the Blitz before?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:30 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
banana hobby is a complicated company we will leave it at that. your asking between a model that is well loved(parkzone) and one that is hit and miss from a company that is pretty hit and miss. just because one is cheaper doesn't mean its better. thats often the reason its not as good. sometimes its good to go cheaper(hobbycity lipos for one) but otehr times its good to get a quality product(horizon stuff). since your new you would probably have some trouble if anyhting went wrong(very possible) or you might not have the right part to fix something and customer service is nowhere near as good as horizon(parkzone,e-flite, hobbyzone). you should go with the parkzone one for just general ease of use.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:00 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,146 Posts
Pay the extra and get the PZ bird. This way, when you crash it (and you will) you can walk into any hobby store and pickup replacement parts instead of trying to deal with BH.
Belem is online now Find More Posts by Belem
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:36 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
The PZ Corsair is a wonderful plane, an all around stable aileron trainer that will do basic aerobatics. Easy and cheap to fix and Horizon Hobby support is tops. Lots of them flying here, even by experienced guys, and many are modded now.

A couple guys here got bargain Corsairs from somewhere and somewhere else and had crappy experience. Poor performance and no parts or support.

Easy choice

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:14 PM
Oh you pull BACK on the stick?
Bloomington, IN
Joined Feb 2010
506 Posts
If you look at the description of the full scale Corsair that BH has provided: "The F4U Corsair is a carrier capable fighter jet that saw service in World War II and the Korean War."

That should tell you all you need to know about BH

As others have stated, PZ has readily available parts, needless to say, I vote PZ Corsair
Varmet6 is offline Find More Posts by Varmet6
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:45 AM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
At the moment my PZ Corsair is my favorite plane.
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:10 AM
Foam Flyer
Wakulla County, FL
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
I have never purchased a BH plane, although I am saving up for the 63 inch Mustang. All my other planes are Parkzone.

Go with the Parkzone, get some more experience, and then when you become more versed in repairs and mods, you can buy from whatever company you want if you see a plane you just "gotta have." You just have to know going in that something purchased from BH is going to need repairs and mods before the first flight.

PZ is not perfect, but they are WAAAAY better in support, replacement parts, and local availability.

Do yourself a favor and do search on these boards about BH and you will learn what everyone here is talking about concerning their product quality, replacement support, and parts availability.

In the long run, you will save money by going with the PZ.
FalseHope is offline Find More Posts by FalseHope
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:51 PM
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Well thanks guys.

I actually ended up going another direction. There is a hobby shop near me that is shutting down and I went there looking for a deal. I ended up getting a T-28 Trojan for a good deal. Thanks for all the input though. I will stick with the reputable people for a while, and then when the courage rises, I will see whats out there.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined May 2007
108 Posts
Score. Excellent choice for a second plane. My brother went from an Air Hog to to a T-28. Crashed it a few times, but PZ built a sturdy ship. Foam safe CA will be your best friend.
K4RT80Y is offline Find More Posts by K4RT80Y
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:25 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
The PZ Corsair and T28 Trojan are the most popular aileron trainers (and favorites of experienced guys) for a bunch of reasons. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:29 PM
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
An Update!

So I will say, I love the Trojan. I am insanely new to actually flying planes, but this is awesome. But I learned the hard way that a better radio was needed to fly this or anything else I have.

When I took this out on its Maiden flight I plugged in my Tactic gear from my Mini into it and was ready to go. As I took off the plane kept jerking right, and I finally said after the second time to bring her in. As I did and she was 10 feet off the ground she jerked right and bounced the bottom of the nose on the ground. The wing popped out of it's joints, the nose cone cracked, and the elevator got a rip in it. Was I worried? Nope. She was fixed in no time with some glue and ready to go.

I then went back to the hobby shop and got a DX7 for a deal, and was ready to take off again. And now, I couldn't be happier with my small fleet. I also picked up a UM Sukhoi for CHEAP! I can't really fly it well, but its awesome to play with.

Again, thanks to everyone for telling me to avoid the cheaper BH stuff and go Parkzone. This plane is truly amazing and I am very likely to get another PZ for the next bird to fly.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:59 AM
Foam Flyer
Wakulla County, FL
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
You can look forward to something interesting happening. Once you get better at flying the T-28, that skill will enable you to fly the UM Sukhoi. The Sukhoi, because it is harder to fly, will also have a learning curve. Once you get that plane down, you will be a much better T-28 pilot because it is more stable. So flying one makes you better at flying the other... and thus begins the eternal quest for new planes and a place to store them.
FalseHope is offline Find More Posts by FalseHope
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:48 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
OP, I can't help you too much as I'm "newish" to the hobby. I have a PZ Micro P51 and a BH 63" P51. Out of the box both models have a very nice quality to the body, both were packed very well. While I think you will find PZ is superior to the stuff BH offers, I think alot of people are placing blame on BH for things that aren't their fault. I see a lot of past history of them having poop customer service. My Mustang from them had a faulty servo, it took a very minor effort of back and forth and they shipped me a new servo. While I do believe a company is obligated to ensure quality products, I don't think they are directly responsible for hidden defects like with my servo unlike a lot of other threads I've read.

From a quick inspection my BH (which is really a Starmax, like all their other products rebranded as Blitz are something else like Art Tech etc...) it was perfect. After removing it from the plastic ONLY then was it noticable it had some minor flaws like sticky paint and crispy decals.

From my short time back in the flying hobby, and very short time in the powered RC portion of it I have learned that you should be aware that doing buisiness with BH is a risk, BUT ultimately they delivered for me. I couldn't get ahold of their customer support via their website and I didn't feel like using a calling card to get ahold of them (I'm an American living in the UK). However they did read a thread I posted in their sub-forum and responded satisfactorily (sorry horrible spelling I'm sure).

Ultimately if I could do things over again I'd still purchase the 63" Mustang from them, but if another more reputable company was offering the same or very similar product I'd lean towards that. With the Mustang it was the size and scale I wanted at a price I couldn't refuse. I don't know what brand the BH Corsair really is, but do a bit more research. You may end up paying up to $100 more correcting actual or potential problems on it like we are with the 63" Stang however it was the only thing that ticked all my personal boxes. I'll still purchase stuff from BH, but I'll be doubly sure that they are the only providers of a product, mostly due to the high shipping cost... Horizon Hobby does free shipping to Military stationed overseas so they are my first hit from here out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseHope View Post
I have never purchased a BH plane, although I am saving up for the 63 inch Mustang. All my other planes are Parkzone.
OT Do it, it's got minor flaws but overall I'm really impressed with the quality!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377310

Though I think you may want a barebones version as at the very least the retracts REQUIRE replacement.

*EDIT* Doh, I saw OP went a different direction... that's what I get for skipping a post or two at the bottom.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks