SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:32 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,163 Posts
Discussion
50+ years of flying models, and a 'first time' for me.

I drove over one of my planes

Nice weather so I thought I would take some of my models off the shelf that hadn't been out for quite a while.

Enjoyable mornings flying, getting near lunch time so better pack up. Looked around, but obviously not behind me. Reversed back...........

It's an EPP foamie Mig 29, so once I had extracted it from under the car it looked remarkably in shape........until I saw the cracks, splits......I think a wheel went over it......

It's back on the shelf now. I don't want to look at the radio gear just yet, luckily I had already taken the Lipo out.

Well we all have a 'first time', don't we ?
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:49 AM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,329 Posts
I think that's the first time I've heard of that happening. Sounds like the time I left my transmitter on the back bumper of my truck. Drove home and realized it wasn't in my truck. Retraced my steps and found it lying in the side of the street (about a mile and a half from home) with no damage.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:54 AM
Joined May 2004
541 Posts
The "50+ years" is a giveaway when we start having first time events such as this. There will be others. Trust me, I feel your pain........
Sit-N-Fly is online now Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:56 AM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,314 Posts
That's nothing, did this two weeks in a row! First a foamy Typhoon, unflown and then a scratch built Draken also never flown! Not surprising the score is Yukon XL two --- model airplanes zero. Maybe it's bad karma to take five/six models to the field? I now walk 360 degrees around the car before driving off and yes, I too am in the 50+ range so it may happen yet again!!
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
It's called a "Senior Moment". We all have them at this stage in our lives.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Last weekend I laid a 60" wing across the back seat and shut the door, only to be reminded that distance between the doors is 58".
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:22 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
I am glad I am not alone in things like this.

I once ran myself over.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I once ran myself over.
When I was 21, I locked my own hand in the car door at a car wash stall while the motor was running. Had a heck of a time getting the key out of the wrong pocket with the other hand ...all the while my trapped hand was screaming with pain!

So far... never backed over any precious objects. Just a matter of time I suppose.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:50 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,050 Posts
Geez.. I'd only been flying for 3 or 4 years when I ran over an airplane I was trying to find in the tall grass. Luckily it was a 3 channel foamie and I only ran over the wing, all of the electronics were fine.

The funny part is, I didn't FIND it when I drove over it. The search party continued to drive around for 10 more minutes, finally dismounting the vehicle and searching the denser areas on foot. FINALLY it dawns on me that the EDF model will make a lot of noise if we goose the throttle. We did, and immediately found it. Tire tracks and all.

-Jay
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:01 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,163 Posts
It makes my day when I know I'm not alone
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Not only that-----

I'll wager that there a lot of guys younger than we are that can't begin to do the things we still can. My hands don't shake. I can still build 'em & fly 'em.
I can still count my blessings, in my 80th year.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:05 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
Wanna talk about clipped wings from door slamming?? or rudders that aren't QUITE as tall as the trunk is deep????

howell
gwinhh is online now Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:30 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
I had a nice one just a week or so ago. Building a 60" span kit (pics in my blog). I was carrying the partially built plane into another room to do something and the wife said my name. I looked at her while walking and as I got to the doorway I heard the sickening crunch of balsa. I had rammed the fully built (not covered yet) tail section into the doorway. Of course my momentum pushed the fuse into me like a spear thus crushing the tail completely. Luckily it was an easy fix and the wife made me giggle as she apologized profusely. Not her fault that Im an idiot.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:49 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,106 Posts
Look at the number of wing panel for 1 A-10.

They are replacements for the HOG I drove over.

Notice that 2 are the same side of the plane ?
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plane Ray . Ive not yet backed up onto a plane , but I did manage to drive off with my cell phone sitting on the fender of the Jeep I used to own . Putting along , and heard an odd sounding Woosh/Crunch and thought "Hmm , I wonder if that was just something I ran over ?" , , , , I looked in the street behind me in the rearview mirror , saw nothing , and figured I must have hit a tin can or something , and didnt give it another thought . About 2 hours later , when I reached into my pocket for my phone , it hit me like a ton of bricks , I instantly rememberd putting it on the fender while loading the planes , and THAT was the funny Woosh/Crunch that I heard

I did save a flying buddy from backing over one of his planes one time though , , We were all flying , and his sailplane stopped responding to the radio , and he hopped in his car to give chase . Just as he was about to put it into reverse to back out of the parking spot I noticed a plane behind his car and yelled "STOP !" ........ Not only was that plane saved , but he actually found the sailplane sitting on some nice ladys front lawn . With that kind of luck , Id have played the lottery for sure that day if I were him .
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)