Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:00 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2009
222 Posts
Discussion
Wire length between ESC/Battery...ESC/Motor...Please help !!

Hi Everyone.

I know this has probably been done to death but I need help !!

I am currently working on 2 projects. An ME 262 pusher twin setup and a HET F16

My questions are these:

1: On my 262 setup the ESC's are in the necelles with the motors. This has resulted in quite long battery leads.

Setup is: 2 x turnigy Trust 55A ESC for 2-6 Lipo, HET Typhoon 4W motors (PUSHER PROPS) running to a single 4s 2200 lipo. the battery leads are about 50cm long. Am I going to have issues here ?? 2.4g setup.

2: On my HET F16 Im planning to run a 4s 3500 lipo. I have heard some people say to mount the ESC behind the fan unit in the airflow and others say mount it elsewhere. I dont really want to mount it behind the fan as I cant get access to it there and it disrupts the airflow. Can I have a trade off here and slightly lengthen ESC to motor wires and ESC to battery wires ??? I would prefer to mount the ESC in the fuse if possible.

3: On the 262 should I run independent batteries, ie 2 x packs, 1 for each motor or is it OK to run both to the one flight pack??

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...THANKS
SydneyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SydneyFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:56 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,893 Posts
The recommendation is lengthen motor to ESC, not battery to ESC, unless fitting additional capacitors.

Most of my multi's have the ESC's in the fuselage and quite long wires between the ESC and motors, (as twisted 3 wires. Twisting reduces the risk of rf pick-up or transmission).
I actually use some three core mains cable, (UK), stripping off the outer covering to save some weight. It's also already twisted.

Batteries, one or two is down to the installation, which is easier. Having a single pack does mean there is only two connectors, but also means the pack has to supply the whole current, (high 'C' rating required).

I don't run very high currents on my systems, so ESC cooling isn't a problem, though I do use some cooling holes, just for safety.

On very high currents the Lipo(s), may also require some air flow.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2009
222 Posts
Thanks, very helpful. I guess I have a small problem as the setup is pretty well made for the ESC's in the nacelles. (262).

Can anyone advise me of the capacitors required and installation as at this late stage this may be easier as long as its safe for the equipment.

In regards to my HET F16 I think I will mount the ESC in the fuselage (not in the thrust tube) and lengthen the ESC - Motor wires.

Thanks for the input so far.
SydneyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SydneyFlyer
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:48 PM
I need more room!
Cape Cod MA
Joined Nov 2005
334 Posts
On the 262, I would run both battery leads together. I have had problems running seperate batteries and leads to each esc. When you plug in the first battery, one esc has full power and the other only has the 5 Volts backfeed through the throttle wiring. I wired this way because I was lazy and the battery connectors were already installed. I joined the two reds and the two blacks at the esc, and all problems went away. One big battery or two smaler ones is up to you. What fits better? What do you own for batteries? (2) 3 cell 2200's in parallel are the same as one 3 cell 4400.

On the Het, I would mount the esc in the exaust and extend the battery leads running forward. I did this in my HET f-18 and have never had a problem with the power system. I'm using a Wemotec 70mm fan, Mega 16/15/2 motor, Castle 45 esc. Pulling 550 Watts from a fresh 3 cell battery pack (Pair of TP 3 cell 2100's). Hand launch is not a problem.

If you extend either the battery or motor leads, please twist them together. This will help reduce noise in the system. If you extend the battery leads more than 100mm, adding caps will be helpful. Search for this and you will find a thread with all the details.

JB
mrblucor is offline Find More Posts by mrblucor
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:56 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,056 Posts
2 smaller batteries in the body DO balance MUCH easier EVERY time.
Piece of cake to just do the + to + & - to -.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2