SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Jay Burkart, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:34 PM
SAM Elec GrdChmp04,07,10,12,14
Smithfield, Ky.
Joined Sep 2001
1,076 Posts
Discussion
Airborn 1600 build Tail section attached and ballast tubes

I have attached the tail sections to the fuselage. The vertical stab had been attached to the
horizontal stab previously. Now the horizontal stab and vertical are attached to the fuselage and
aligned. There is a cross platform of 1/4 plywood attached across the very rear of the fuse.
Then a piece of hard trailing edge stock is attached to the fuselage just in front of where the
horizontal stab rests on the fuselage. This is essentially a flat section built in to the fuselage
when framing the Trailing edge material is to anchor a alignment hold down tab of 1/16 plywood,
that protrudes from the leading edge of the horizontal stab at it's center section.
At the bottom of this TE material there is a place cut into it that is removeable to be able to
change the angle of attack of the stab if trimming is necessary. This is scored and close to
cut free but not removed so that the provision is there.
The stab is then aligned and the tab glued on, then the stab has two holed drilled through it
for 6-32 nylon bolts to bolt it to the cross platform. This is realinged to be square with the
center line of the fuselage and then drilled and tapped to accept the 6-32 bolts and the
thread hardened with thin CA and retapped.
I also put in ballast tubes right at the CG of the fuselage to be able to insert lead slugs to add
ballast to make the competition weight rules for the SAM events of Texaco and LMR.
the ballast is removeable as with the batteries we are planning in using allows for 6 oz
of ballast to be removed for the Texaco event and reinserted to make weight for the LMR
event. Right now we are figuring a 108 oz RTF weight for Texaco on a 3S 1800 mah lipo and
114 oz for LMR on a 3S 1900 mah lipo.
The tubes allow me to put in different amount of lead slugs to change the ballast easily
without changing the CG.
Jay Burkart is online now Find More Posts by Jay Burkart
Last edited by Jay Burkart; Mar 14, 2011 at 11:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts