HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:41 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Discussion
Sig kadet Mark II conversion

My wife's Aunt and Uncle came to visit this past weekend and he wound up bringing me an old Kadet Mark II that he had started years ago but lost interest in. It's mostly built and just needs some final sanding, covering, and radio install really. Now I don't mess with gas and only have one electric plane which is my AP platform, the rest are all gliders. So my question is about a power system. I don't really want to spend much on setting this thing up(just like everyone else) so I want to use the batteries that I already have. I run 3s 2200Mah batts. I figure the flying weight to come in right around 5 pounds. So I'm looking for motor suggestions and wondering what would be the best batt. configuration, parallel or series? I've searched and found a few threads, but never any specific motor mentions and the ones with links no longer work. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Forest
stoked6.0 is offline Find More Posts by stoked6.0
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
58 Posts
Hi Stoked,

My post is SIG Kadet Mark II-Electric_reconfigure aileron w/flaps.

Not sure about batteries, however we are using an Exceed-RC Mosterpower 32 Outrunner brushless #63M53. KV 770, 700W input .02 ohms. Uses 10-14 Ni-Cd or 3-4 Li-Po.
Not sure what my bro paid for it. He is running a smaller version on the Kadet Jr. in the post.
rawUAV is offline Find More Posts by rawUAV
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:53 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
I was looking at that motor and prefer to order from Hobbypartz when I can since I get my order in a matter of a few days, but they are out of stock on all the monster motors and it can take them some time to replenish stock sometimes. Not sure if that motor would be enough though with a 3s pack, but batteries aren't really my thing so I'm looking to others here for help in that area. That is however, the type of motor I want to run if possible. I'm not looking for something that will climb vertical all day, but rather a nice trainer type flyer for something different and to train others on.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:22 AM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,159 Posts
I use an Eflite Power 32, Hobbyking's 4S 4000 batteries and an APC 12x8 prop. My MarkII comes in around 5 pounds. The Monster Power motors from Hobbypartz are a nice alternative if you can get one.

swimmer
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:39 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
I have also used turnigy 35 series motors with great success, look for one that matches the specs of the hobby partz motor
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:08 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Paso Robles, Ca
Joined Nov 2008
746 Posts
Thanks, I like to try and order from Hobbypartz when I can since it only takes a few days to get my order instead of weeks. I think my problem is batteries. Swimmer is using 4s and I only have 3s packs. This is my real question, will I have a decent power system running 2 3s 2200mah packs in parallel? I'm thinking it should work alright if I find a motor that will run on 3s in the right size.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:27 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,159 Posts
I also run two 4S 2200 Flightmax batteries in parallel. You'll have to get a parallel connector or build one. Bought mine from Great Planes. If you are going to step up to this size plane and components you'll have to step up battery size (MAH) and voltage to get the power to fly your plane. Plug your numbers into a good prop/motor calculator like brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

I'm using a Monster Power 46 in my RCM Trainer. Great motor for $28.50. Too bad Hobbypartz can't get it together and stock items in a timely manor. I'm sure Hobbyking can get you a motor at a good price. I really like the Monster Power series of motors and will buy more when available. The Eflite Power 32 is good but there are much better prices for comparable motors. Hobbyking's line of "Easy Match" motors look to be a decent replacement but they are always on backorder.
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Mar 17, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:25 PM
portage la prairie,manitoba, canada
Joined May 2003
170 Posts
You should be ok as long as your batts will handle the current. I converted an Aero-star 40 last year - used a Turnigy3536 and 3S 2200 Turnigy batt. I got about 5 min flight time and lots of power. wattmeter showed 43A and 506 watts with a 10 X 5 E prop. Since then I've gone to 3S 4000 batts and get more than 10 min flights. Plane AUW is 5 lb 10oz. If you pick a motor that gives you 75 - 100 watts per pound and choose an ESC and batts that can safely handle the current load you will be ok.
enjoy
Murray
mpatterson is offline Find More Posts by mpatterson
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:01 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
I just visited my brother raw UAV, the plane is going well, but when I was there his computer was in a million pieces ,so bear with him this tread will be a good one, there are a lot of electric kadets out there, I think we might use this as a glider tug.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993