HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
I bought a Heli-Max Novus CP nano I did not do my research.

I bought a Heli-Max Novus CP nano I did not do my research. This heli is not easy to fly I already crashed it twice and had to order main blades again, ordered a few pairs. Is the AXE CX nano easy to fly? I have also ordered the the brushless conversion kit upgrade and Heli-Max Complt CNC Alum Rotor Head Conversion Novus CP will these kits make it more stable? They should be comming in this week.
Heliworld is offline Find More Posts by Heliworld
Last edited by Heliworld; Mar 14, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:14 PM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
No CP is easy to fly compared to Fixed Pitch craft, especially in that size. If this is your first "proper" helicopter I recommend putting it on the shelf and getting some flying hours on a FP first.
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
The brushless conversion kit will eliminate frequent motor replacements.

The metal upgrades will just make your repairs more expensive.

I think you mean Axe CX Nano. Yes, that's a much easier to fly heli. It's a coax, so it's self-stabilizing. But, you should be aware that the previous version of the the Axe CX had terrible durability problems.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger View Post
No CP is easy to fly compared to Fixed Pitch craft, especially in that size. If this is your first "proper" helicopter I recommend putting it on the shelf and getting some flying hours on a FP first.
So I shound go and get an FP? How easy is it to fly the FP?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The brushless conversion kit will eliminate frequent motor replacements.

The metal upgrades will just make your repairs more expensive.

I think you mean Axe CX Nano. Yes, that's a much easier to fly heli. It's a coax, so it's self-stabilizing. But, you should be aware that the previous version of the the Axe CX had terrible durability problems.
I dont know the previous version. What is the new version? I guess I am going to put the CP on the side for a while and go ahead and buy a new one.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliworld View Post
I dont know the previous version. What is the new version? I guess I am going to put the CP on the side for a while and go ahead and buy a new one.
The previous version Axe CX didn't last long. I'n just concerned the new version isn't any better. Helimax has been selling very low quality helis for several years. The Novus line is better, but it's just rebadged Walkera models.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
The previous version Axe CX didn't last long. I'n just concerned the new version isn't any better. Helimax has been selling very low quality helis for several years. The Novus line is better, but it's just rebadged Walkera models.
What heli would you recommend for a beginner?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:50 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Since you already have a Walkera radio, the Walkera CB100 might be a good bet. Someone who knows Walkera models better might know if the radio is compatible. Schermvlieger is a big Walkera fan. He would know.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Since you already have a Walkera radio, the Walkera CB100 might be a good bet. Someone who knows Walkera models better might know if the radio is compatible. Schermvlieger is a big Walkera fan. He would know.
What is a recommended online store to purchase the Walkera CB100?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4 Posts
they are very easy
pilot_boy95 is offline Find More Posts by pilot_boy95
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:33 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
I would suggest Club Heli. http://www.clubheli.com/

While you are there, you might want to look at the Nine Eagle helis. They are a lot cheaper. But, their performance is a good deal tamer. If you are looking for the wildest of the self-stabilizing micros, it would be a Blade MSR from your LHS.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:53 PM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliworld View Post
So I shound go and get an FP? How easy is it to fly the FP?
As Balr14 mentioned, since you already have a capable Walkera TX, a Walkera fixed pitch would be a good idea. Instead of the cb100, I would recommend going with one of the more current models, like the v120d01 or the 4#6S (although the 4#6S is also a slightly older model). I do like the way my 4#6 flies and would recommend it to a beginner who is patient and determined to learn the basics of model helicopter flying.

If you don't mind a bit of tinkering, an economically sound option is to temporarily convert your 4g6 to a fixed pitch head setup. You may need to install a fixed pitch (like the 2433v) receiver instead of the one you have now, but that might not be necessary; ask around in the 4g6 thread. You will need a few items like a main shaft, swashplate, head, linkages, blade grips and blades, but these can be obtained for much cheaper than even a Solo Pro. This way you will have a functionally equal model to the v120d01/4#6 for a fraction of the price.

Of course the mSR / Solo Pro helicopters mentioned are also valid options that have an enthusiastic following on these boards. I cannot comment on their flying characteristics as I have not flown one of them myself.

Sandor
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:06 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I second the CB100 recommendation. It's relatively easy to learn, fun to fly, has a great flying time of around 7-10 minutes and doesn't have many flaws.

Another option, if you want something newer and more advanced, is the V100D01. It's basically a flybarless CB100. It's more expensive and it will be more difficult to control but offers much more performance.

MiracleMart.com have the CB100 RTF for around $118 and BNF for $90. The V100D01 is $117 BNF from there. Unfortunately they aren't showing stock at the moment, just keep checking to see when they appear in stock again. Keep in mind that the BNF version doesn't contain a charger.

Helipal.com is another good site for Walkera. Their product information is second to none.

What TX do you have?

Re the CB100, the main problems with it are the weak landing skids, which can be replaced with stronger aftermarket ones from Extreme and a weak tail boom, which can be replaced with a tail boom from the 4G3 or any generic carbon fibre tube cut to length. The motors in it are brushless and quite strong. They last a while too, as long as you keep them lubricated with a non-solvent based lubricant.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger View Post
As Balr14 mentioned, since you already have a capable Walkera TX, a Walkera fixed pitch would be a good idea. Instead of the cb100, I would recommend going with one of the more current models, like the v120d01 or the 4#6S (although the 4#6S is also a slightly older model). I do like the way my 4#6 flies and would recommend it to a beginner who is patient and determined to learn the basics of model helicopter flying.

If you don't mind a bit of tinkering, an economically sound option is to temporarily convert your 4g6 to a fixed pitch head setup. You may need to install a fixed pitch (like the 2433v) receiver instead of the one you have now, but that might not be necessary; ask around in the 4g6 thread. You will need a few items like a main shaft, swashplate, head, linkages, blade grips and blades, but these can be obtained for much cheaper than even a Solo Pro. This way you will have a functionally equal model to the v120d01/4#6 for a fraction of the price.

Of course the mSR / Solo Pro helicopters mentioned are also valid options that have an enthusiastic following on these boards. I cannot comment on their flying characteristics as I have not flown one of them myself.

Sandor
I thought about converting it but I dont know yet.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:53 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
Also for the price the E-Flite MSR Micro is an increadible flyer, finally getting full orientation with this solid flyer.

Back to the Novus, am currently enjoying the FP 125, it has the improved shaft tube drive on the tail adding to stability and this model does have a nice heavy feel for its micro size, never tire flying this one, early maidens in the living room, tight quarters but patient flying and its nearly easy.

Half minute clip in the living room experience, better to have larger space at the start, I can do full orientation with this puppie easily in the gym.

Novus 125 FP Living Room Flight Helicopter RC (0 min 30 sec)

Note nose in or heli facing me was a very difficult manuver for the longest time, at last accomplish this with these FP Fixed Pitch helis, both here are very solid for micro models, gotta love 'em.

On the E-Flite Micro MSR here's my recent manuver, a hand nose push with the MSR facing me, this puppie is that solid, but admit this one has the most flight times quickly learning loads of flights is what its all about regardless of model heli your flying, keep flying ...

E-Flite Micro Blade MSR FP Heli Indoor Hand Nose Push (0 min 7 sec)
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Mar 20, 2011 at 05:06 AM.