HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Sep 2002
62 Posts
Help!
Parkzone Corsair, Mustang or Wildcat - Batteries

Hi,

I'd appreciate some advice. I fancy a warbird. I fly from grass which isn't kind to lightweight retracts and would probably take too much out of the battery for takeoff. Nor do I want wheels down in the air, so I'm set on hand launch belly land.

The next thing is that I have helicopters (electric and nitro) and fixed wing (nitro), this whim is for a cheap warbird so I just want to buy PNP and use my existing gear.

Here's the catch. I have a couple of batteries from a TRex that I don't use anymore. They are 3S 1800mAh 12C. If I were buying a complete set up I would get a higher 'C' rating but I'm not - these are what I intend to use.

The advice I'd appreciate is - am I wasting my time?

If so, please be honest and I won't bother.

If not which of these planes would fly the best on these batteries.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline Find More Posts by nheather
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
I dont think you would be able to use a 12C battery on any of those...the stock batteries on PZ corsair and wildcat are rated at 15c.....I suppose if you reall want to use them you can but there wont be enough punch and your flight times will be short..

IMO if you want a warbird just buy a bunch of zippy flight max 2200mah batteries they are abouit 14 bucks each and will give you great flight times.
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:42 AM
mondo1948
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather View Post
Hi,

I'd appreciate some advice. I fancy a warbird. I fly from grass which isn't kind to lightweight retracts and would probably take too much out of the battery for takeoff. Nor do I want wheels down in the air, so I'm set on hand launch belly land.

The next thing is that I have helicopters (electric and nitro) and fixed wing (nitro), this whim is for a cheap warbird so I just want to buy PNP and use my existing gear.

Here's the catch. I have a couple of batteries from a TRex that I don't use anymore. They are 3S 1800mAh 12C. If I were buying a complete set up I would get a higher 'C' rating but I'm not - these are what I intend to use.

The advice I'd appreciate is - am I wasting my time?

If so, please be honest and I won't bother.

If not which of these planes would fly the best on these batteries.

Cheers,

Nigel
Hi,
Your battery can deliver 21.6 amps....I get that number by multiplying 1800mah times 12C discharge, which again, equals 21.6 amps. Therefore, the only planes I would fly with that battery are the Wildcat and Mustang. They come stock with an 18 amp ESC, which means the stock motor/prop pull less than 18 amps, so if you power the planes like the stock set-ups, your battery could provide the amps required. Notice, I said "could". You may not get the power you should get with the battery just barely providing the amps the planes need, especially if your batteries are older.

I've got to tell you that I wouldn't limit my choice of plane based on the batteries I have. Heck, you can buy a couple of 2100 mah batteries with 20C discharge for cheap....around 10-15 dollars each. You should pick the plane you really like and get the proper battery for it.

By the way, if you're using a Spektrum radio, your best bet is to by a "bind-n-fly" version of one of the planes because for the extra money, you get a battery and receiver that are really a good deal.

I hope this helps,
Mondo

The
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:54 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,333 Posts
N...the wildcat and p-51 both come stock with 9X6 props that draw 17 amps in static testing.

Your 1800mah 12C should be ok....it calcs out like this.

1800mah X 12C = 21600 or 21.6 amps that the lipo can supply, the wild cat or p-51 draws 17 amps max....so it's not the best combination but good enough to fly.

The Corsair uses a 9.5X7.5 and draws too many amps for your lipos.

EDIT: Mondo you beat me to the answer....
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LICobra; Mar 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2007
376 Posts
Out of the three choices you listed, I would pick the Mustang. As the others have already clarified, your batteries may or may not be useful. But you can get some on the cheap, so long as your willing to order them online to get them cheap. All three are great flying planes, but for some reason the mustang to me, is more enjoyable to fly than the other two (I have all three) I seem to be more comfortable with the Mustang, flying in smaller areas than the others.
jayxer is offline Find More Posts by jayxer
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2002
62 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Pretty much as I expected so I probably won't bother and just stick with my other aircraft.

BUT .....

If I were to buy some different batteries, nothing exotic, just someing like 3S 2200mAh 25C, what aircraft would you recommend, doesn't have to be one of these or even a ParZone.

Remember I imagine I will be hand launching\belly landing.

Cheers,

Nigel
nheather is offline Find More Posts by nheather
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheather View Post
Thanks for the advice. Pretty much as I expected so I probably won't bother and just stick with my other aircraft.

BUT .....

If I were to buy some different batteries, nothing exotic, just someing like 3S 2200mAh 25C, what aircraft would you recommend, doesn't have to be one of these or even a ParZone.

Remember I imagine I will be hand launching\belly landing.

Cheers,

Nigel

I'd go with the Corsair no bad tendencies and a blast to fly use these batteries...

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7636

$10.99 a pop cant be beat!
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23