HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by boingk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:58 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Discussion
The Ride Continues

...And we're back for another gripping instalment of Boingks Big Blog!

The news is that the ParkZone Ultramicro P-51 has had its share of crashes and repairs, and finally had its last, brilliant deathspiral in the hands of good old Dad; a look of concentration, confusion and happiness mixing on his face in some sort of surreal, intense blend. Either way, it was stuffed and would only fly if you held the aileron/elevator trim manually about 30~50% throw on each, to the left and down respectively. Subtrim wouldn't work as that'd deathspiral it, too. Whatever, I hacked it up and am now awaiting a replacement airframe... not quite standard though. There are a few plans for this old girl yet. You'll see.

The F6F continues to have problems, the sh!tty cheap components giving no end of grief. I believe a motor connection has shorted, or the ESC is faulty. I'll look into it at some stage I guess, it is a striking plane to see in the sky and I do like flying it a lot. Part of the reason I built my J3 using components I selected, really. Much less cost and much less of a pain in the ass.

Lastly, my aforementioned J3 (really an L-4 with that colour scheme) has had its maiden flight and, whats more, came back unscathed. It might have been drizzling, with a bit of a breeze blowing up, and the motor mount might have been made out of epoxy and plywood... but it flew darn well and I couldn't be happier with it. A crow even thought it interesting enough to come in for a look-see, couldn't quite keep up with it though. Not with the hot-shot combo of a Hextronik 24g 3000kv and 8x3.8 direct-drive prop, haha.

It took off on about 1/4 throttle into the wind and I didn't go above that for the whole flight. Hell, most of the time I was putting around a few 'ratchets' off zero throttle (if you've used a Spektrum DX5e or similar you'll know what I mean). I didn't particularly want to go over that for a few reasons - one, it was a maiden flight, and two, the prop was held onto the shaft with - you guessed it - epoxy. Actually came off when I was about to go up for a second flight and throttled up too quickly. Nothing bad happened, the prop just sort of pathetically flipped a few feet forwards and the plane stopped mid runway.

The rest of the flytime was good, way better than a $75 (including freight) fully-furnished airplane has any right to be, anyway. Smooth takeoff, stress-free landing, forgiving flight charachteristics... and yet when I broke free with the sticks - initially to evade Mr. Crow - it looped and banked like nothing else! Imagine that, hey? Fifteen years ago I couldn't get into this because it was too expensive, and now a decent electric plane will run you $75 and put a big damn grin on your face. Seventy-five bucks...

Well, thats about the news for the moment. Components are still on the way from Japan for my Speed Stick, and I have no idea how long that will take because as of now the place has been rocked by an earthquake, a tsunami and a nuclear reactor leak. Poor buggers... I swear the world is going to hell at the moment in that regard. Either way, all the best to them and I'll keep you updated as things happen on my end.

By the way, heres the thread for my Hobbyking J3/L4 if you wanted to take a look: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1406156

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts