HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Upgrade Old Faithful Baser or replace with new Breed?
Upgrade my old Tamiya Stadium Thunder with Lipo and Brushless 0 0%
Start again with a HPI Blitz or Team Associated SCT? 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:26 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Poll
New Car SCT/Stadium Truck or fix the Old Tamiya Stadium Thunder...?

Ok so a while ago I made this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357240

Its basically asking what I should do to get my old Tamiya Stadium Thunder back up and running.

It currently has no TX or RX, I have no NiMH batteries so I don't know if the electronics work. They did when I last used it but that would have been going on a good 7 or 8 years ago now.

My only hope is if I take it to the Local hobby store and they are kind enough to attach a RX/Battery to test. At least then i have a starting point.

But essentially I would like to get it back up to scratch and even race worthy.

Now after looking in to it a bit more, it seems that to get this running in the Open 2WD Truck class is going to cost me a fair bit.

If I stay local to Aus Im looking at

$99 for a Basic 2.4ghz radio.
$99 for a ESC/Brushless Setup
$30 - 100 for New suspension (depends on how much I want to spend)
$30 for decent 2.2 tyres.

And these are the minimums! Some places were suggesting around $150 for motor/esc's

So my question to you is..

Do I ?

A - Fix it up, repaint it and have something different at the races albeit with older tech.

or

B - Throw it in the closet and Buy something new like a HPI BLitz for $400 bucks.

Now to point out I already have a couple of 2200mah 3s lipo batteries that I would like to run in the truck.

So fellow RCgroups technicians what would you do?

Upgrade an old faithful basher into a speed demon, or start again with a new improved breed.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Last edited by cloaked; Mar 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:10 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Dec 2004
132 Posts
I've found the old bashers aren't up to the amount of power a brushless set up will/can put out.
And you'll probably want a bigger capacity battery than a 2200mah.

But, if you can still get all the spares for your old Tamiya it would be a cool addition to a track full of cars, especially if you get it sorted and start winning some heats.

Good luck with it mate.
Boogieman1200 is offline Find More Posts by Boogieman1200
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:47 AM
india
Joined May 2010
486 Posts
Get a new vehicle and I agree with boogieman.At least get a 5000 mah lipo.Try to get 2s.
iamahuman is offline Find More Posts by iamahuman
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:15 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,396 Posts
go for a 2s 5000 mah battery, at least 20 c.

i'd put it on the shelf, you have a nice truck, but i'd keep it in good condition and run it at vintage races, if they're in your area.

the blitz, losi xxx-sct, associated sc10, traxxas slash, they're all good options for a truck. or the associated t4.1 brushless. that's another good one.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:15 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
So you really think its not worth Fixing up.

It currently has no TX or RX, I have no NiMH batteries so I don't know if the electronics work. They did when I last used it but that would have been going on a good 7 or 8 years ago now.

My only hope is if I take it to the Local hobby store and they are kind enough to attach a RX/Battery to test. At least then i have a starting point.

But essentially I would like to get it back up to scratch and even race worthy.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:22 AM
india
Joined May 2010
486 Posts
I would suggest against it.Too much work involved.Get a new truck instead.
iamahuman is offline Find More Posts by iamahuman
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:08 AM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
can you buy stuff from hobbycity? ifso it will be way cheaper to get your old truck up and running again. the money you would save could go towards a more modern truck. regardless of what route you go, your old tamiya deserves to eventually get up and running.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:04 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,396 Posts
tamiya is re rereleasing the stadium thunder, so it's not like parts aren't an issue, so you could fix it up. i just don't know how it would hold up to the newer motor technologies. it should handle a stock spec brushless system, 17.5 turn brushless. it is worth fixing it up, but to get going again, it may be better to get a nice new truck and slowly get it going. this is just what i'd do, i mean i have a couple vintage things myself, but i'm gonna sell em personally, i have enough trouble keeping my current rc's going, even though "technically" my savage has been discontinued, only to be replaced with another savage that is very close to the same. sorry for the minor high jack of the thread. but yeah, i think it's really up to you on how much you want to get it going, and how soon and how hard you want to drive it.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:48 PM View Post
steelersdean
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Group attack). It is temporarily hidden while steelersdean edits it. Show it to me anyway.