SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:32 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Discussion
Gonna order a slowstick . . .

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to R/C and I'm wanting to learn how to fly. I've decided to get a GWS Slow Stick.

I already have two GWS micro servos, a GWS pico recever, a Hitec transmitter, a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC, a 890Kv brushless motor, two 11x4.7 props, and a PowerWing 2100mah 20c Li-po. I'm planning on ordering the Slow Stick from Horizon Hobbies sometime this week. What I was wondering was . . . is there anything else I will need when building the plane that I should put in this order? Will I need servo extensions? The cables that are on the servos are about 4 inch or so. Also, I have a prop saver for my motor - Are there special rubberbands for that? If so do I need them, because I planned on just using my brother's rubberbands that go on his braces.

Any help or advice is appreciated,
PyroMan
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:54 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Your servo lead lengths will be fine. Also, pickup a replacement slingshot band from walmart or wherever and then slice up the surgical tubing to use as prop saver bands.

Or buy some surgical tubing and slice it up.

Also, check around for slow stick build threads here. The manual isn't all that great..
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Right now I'm in the middle or reading this http://mattsrc.rchomepage.com/ssir/allinone.shtml then I'm gonna read this build log http://www.verrill.com/rc/ss/ What other build logs and stuff about the Slow Stick would you (or anyone) recommend?

Thats a very cool idea about using surgical tubing as like mini rubberbands - I never would've thought of that.

Thanks,
PyroMan
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:08 AM
Delran NJ
Joined Jan 2004
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to R/C and I'm wanting to learn how to fly. I've decided to get a GWS Slow Stick.

I already have two GWS micro servos, a GWS pico recever, a Hitec transmitter, a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC, a 890Kv brushless motor, two 11x4.7 props, and a PowerWing 2100mah 20c Li-po. I'm planning on ordering the Slow Stick from Horizon Hobbies sometime this week. What I was wondering was . . . is there anything else I will need when building the plane that I should put in this order? Will I need servo extensions? The cables that are on the servos are about 4 inch or so. Also, I have a prop saver for my motor - Are there special rubberbands for that? If so do I need them, because I planned on just using my brother's rubberbands that go on his braces.

PyroMan
Just finished one of these. New to planes, haven't flown it yet. Get yourself a prop saver or prop adapter. Some velcro straps for the battery, cable ties of course and hardware for attaching the rudder and elevator linkage to the rod. I had help here on the build and pics were posted fro me as well. The manual is not very clear or complete. It's an easy and fun build. Can't wait to see how it flies! Good Luck!
Robertwav1 is offline Find More Posts by Robertwav1
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:

PyroMan
Hi Pyro,

My advice is to figure out a way to build it as light as possible. Then make it even lighter than that...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Robertwav1: I have some velcro, a prop saver, and zip ties but what do you mean by " . . .hardware for attaching the rudder and elevator linkage to the rod." ?

NoFlyZone: what would be some ways to make it lighter?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:55 PM
Delran NJ
Joined Jan 2004
173 Posts
Quote:
Robertwav1: I have some velcro, a prop saver, and zip ties but what do you mean by " . . .hardware for attaching the rudder and elevator linkage to the rod." ?

Du-Bro Mini E/Z connector and some .039 wire which work well with these. I was at the hobby store and this guy hooked me up. The connectors are very light and the rod is set by a screw which really makes it to adjust the elevator and rudder. I'm sure there is other stuff on the market but this guy went to this and he didn't even work there. One of my better days at the store, got everything i needed to finish the job. The wire is lighter then the wire that comes with the plane but be sure to use the guide and I also used the rear wing holder with a slight mod to guide the wire.
Robertwav1 is offline Find More Posts by Robertwav1
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:18 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,894 Posts
Quote:

Don't sweat the weight. This airplane already weighs almost nothing. On top of that a stock Slow Stick will carry about a ton of extra weight. Many guys add cameras without any problems at all.

All the hardware you need should be included in the box. Based on your earlier posts you should have everything your need.

The only other thing I would recommend is go get an RC simulator for your computer. Any cheap one will do. You will use it to practice you control skills and to get acquainted with flying a plane that is flying toward you. This one it less than $20 and will save you more than that in repairs.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/e4chflsitrki.html

Your biggest problem learning to fly will be over controlling the plane. You will need to use very small stick movements. Resist the urge to move the sticks more than about a quarter of their travel.

Good luck and enjoy.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Robertwav1: I forgot to mention in my first post that I was planning on ordering the mini EZ connectors. Next time I go to the store I'll pick up some velcro.

ggcrandall1: Thanks for the advice! I do have a flight simulator - it's FMS. I have cable and real transmitter for it. About 6 months ago I downloaded the Slow Stick model and I've been flying off and on for a while now. I think I'm actually doing kinda good on it. I can take off, fly up kinda high, do some circles 'round the field, then land without crashing!

I can't wait till I order the plane - before I order it I have to finish a very small project I started because I know when I get the plane I won't want to work that.

Thanks guys fir all the help so far.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
I just placed my order with Tower Hobbies!!!!

I ordered the Slow Stick NPS version, 12 extra props, 2 Du-Bro mini EZ connectors, and a set of 4 o-rings for a prop saver. Now I've been reading the last few pages of the ultimate slow stick thread part 9 and a lot of people said not to use o rings at all on a prop saver. I do not plan to use these o rings (I might just 'cause I have them) but my order came to like $49.89 or something and if it was $50 or more I get $10 off so I just added the o-rings to get the discount. ( the o-rings were 89 cents)

That all being said, I can't wait till my plane gets here! It's supposed to arrive between this Friday and next Tuesday.

Thanks for all the help everyone,
PyroMan
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined May 2007
108 Posts
I might suggest Du-Bro's light weight park flyer wheels (3 or 3.5 inches, I think.) Hard landings, especially when its cold out will sheer the hubs out of the GWS spiral wheels. Ask me how I know.
K4RT80Y is offline Find More Posts by K4RT80Y
Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RT80Y View Post
I might suggest Du-Bro's light weight park flyer wheels (3 or 3.5 inches, I think.) Hard landings, especially when its cold out will sheer the hubs out of the GWS spiral wheels. Ask me how I know.
I would probably look into that but I just placed my order yesterday or the day before. But that gives me somehing to look into next time I place an order.

Thanks for the tip though,
PyroMan
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined May 2011
116 Posts
I already have two GWS micro servos, a GWS pico recever, a Hitec transmitter, a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC, a 890Kv brushless motor, two 11x4.7 props, and a PowerWing 2100mah 20c Li-po.

I have a question. So the GWS pico RX will work with hi tech Tx? I have an Aurora 9 tx and am looking for a rx that will work on slow stick especially thats lite enough....Also that battery you have listed..isnt that too heavy for a slow stick?
Chestersdead is offline Find More Posts by Chestersdead
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestersdead View Post
I already have two GWS micro servos, a GWS pico recever, a Hitec transmitter, a Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC, a 890Kv brushless motor, two 11x4.7 props, and a PowerWing 2100mah 20c Li-po.

I have a question. So the GWS pico RX will work with hi tech Tx? I have an Aurora 9 tx and am looking for a rx that will work on slow stick especially thats lite enough....Also that battery you have listed..isnt that too heavy for a slow stick?
Hi Chester,

The battery who listed?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:16 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Hi Chester,

The battery who listed?
The battery was listed by the OP in post #1.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1