HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:08 PM
Anaheim, CA
Joined Sep 2007
556 Posts
I believe that HOB suggested the brushed 300 series motors because they are cheap, about $15 each. I think that the brushed motor controller is less expensive also. Seems that it would have made sense in the modern world for HOB to at least offer brushless recommendations as the majority of folks will probably go that rout once they burn up the brushed motors.
Elmog is offline Find More Posts by Elmog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:04 AM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,523 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard to find brushless replacements, you just need to make sure whatever motor kv's allow smaller 5" max diameter props. Take a look at the Turnigy easy match series.
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:13 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
832 Posts
how about a pair of hacker b20 7s for power?
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:21 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2003
118 Posts
The Saga Continues . . .

Hello Everyone! A few months ago I was looking at this thread, and it revived my interest in the Electric Commander, which I was hot for when it first came out about a year ago. I wanted to use outrunner brushless motors for it, so I downloaded a couple of Denny's posted pictures and manipulated them in PhotoShop to size them and see if the outrunner brushless motors that I had in mind would fit. They looked really promising, so I PMed Denny with my discovery. He very graciously invited me to continue his original thread, so I ordered the kit. When I got it, I rechecked the fit of the actual motors to the parts, and sure enough, I was right on! As of right now, I'm done with the basic fuselage and tail, and am starting on the wings. More to come!Name: Electric Commander 7 Inch Props On Denny's Plane Pic.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 35.6 KB
Description:

Name: Electric Commander Nacelle Motor Placement.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 26.2 KB
Description:

Name: Electric Commander Progress Pic 3.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 213.0 KB
Description:

Name: Electric Commander Progress Pic 4.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 215.1 KB
Description:
Jay B. Scott is offline Find More Posts by Jay B. Scott
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,523 Posts
Looks good. What motors and props are you planning to use?

Denny
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:53 PM
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
380 Posts
Jay, looking forward to seeing your progress. I have been eying this kit since its introduction, but was hesitant about using brushed motors. Keep posting!
Gabor
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:28 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2003
118 Posts
Yes--Brushless Outrunners!

Denny and Techbot--I'm glad you both asked! The very next thing I want to show are the four outrunner brushless motors that I've looked into that will work perfectly in the Electric Commander. They range in price from the most expensive ($75) to the least expensive ($18), and can be divided into two types: Axi motors and their inexpensive clones (front mount is primary consideration), and E-flite motors and their inexpensive clones (front mount is secondary consideration). All four motors spin 7 inch props, which are the maximum size for this plane as a hand-launched model. In this post I'll show pics of the Axi 2208-26 ($75) and the Hobby People 2208-09 ($25), both of which have the front mount as their primary consideration, and fit the Electric Commander without any modification or fuss. All you need are two M3X6 machine screws and M3 washers to mount them. I got mine from Ace Hardware, and Dubro also makes them, so you can get them easily enough from a hobby store. I'll show a close-up of how they're mounted.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:53 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2003
118 Posts
Brushless Outrunners 3 and 4

The second type of outrunner, E-flite (Park 370 with the Kv rating of 1380), $39.99, and it's inexpensive clones (my example being the BP Hobbies 2208-14 at $17.99) have the front mounting as the secondary consideration. The beauty of E-flite is that the shaft is not only replaceable like all of them, but it's also reversable, unlike any of the rest. All of that is machined into the shaft (I'll show you a pic). In this second type, you have the extra work of reversing the shaft to make it a front-mounted motor, but I've done it more than once, and if this old man can do it with those little tiny parts, you can do it with no problem. With the E-flite clones, I recommend buying the E-flite replacement shafts that are reversable, and installing them in the clones. There is another way around that in which you use the clone's shaft, but it involves more modifications to the plane, so I'm not going to get into that one, other than tell you that you have to use a Dubro dura-collar in place of where the C-clip would go. I'll show you a pic of that, too.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:11 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,523 Posts
Looks like lots of choices and also a large range of prices. When I built the prototype I was asked to build it stock per the kit and look for any problems with the plans or parts.

Another great place for inexpensive motors is from Heads Up Hobbies
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:44 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,835 Posts
Here:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...3&productname=
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:04 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2003
118 Posts
Thanks Denny, for the heads up on Heads Up Hobbies

Bare, I checked out your link to the 2208-12, and it's perfect! Just get that shaft through to the other side, and you're all set. Spins a 7X3 on a 3-cell, and only $9.99! Can't beat that with a stick!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:10 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2003
118 Posts
Where I'm actually at with the build

I think I'd better post a couple of pix on where I'm at, just so you all know that I'm actually working on this thing Here's the front and back shot of my fuselage with tail feathers attached. I just got all the wing and nacelle parts cut out today, and will actually apply glue to them tomorrow.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:25 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2003
118 Posts
Outrunner Mods To Plane

I'm cutting bigger and extra holes in some of my parts to accomodate a regular size Deans connector instead of the Deans Micro Connector that's used for the brushed setup. I'm going to be running more amps through with the brushless setup, and I didn't want the Micro Connector to fail. I'm also mounting the ESCs in the nacelles, so I'm needing to run the radio wires separate from the power wires. Here's some pix of all that.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:49 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. Scott View Post
Thanks Denny, for the heads up on Heads Up Hobbies

Bare, I checked out your link to the 2208-12, and it's perfect! Just get that shaft through to the other side, and you're all set. Spins a 7X3 on a 3-cell, and only $9.99! Can't beat that with a stick!
Actually It Spins a 7x6 on 3s.. happily
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare