HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:43 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,884 Posts
Question
Anderson Powerpoles chassis mount?

I've got myself an 86Ah deep cycle battery for field charging. I intend to install it in my wheeled flight box and, rather than using the large battery clamps on my charger (and glow starter motor), I would like to use suitably rated plugs.

50A Anderson Powerpoles seem to be an obvious choice, but I can't find any corresponding sockets that I could mount flush (or almost flush) with the surface of my flight box and wire up to the battery terminals so that I can plug in without having to open the box to access the battery terminals.

On the Anderson web site I've found a few panel mounting sockets, but none of them seem to be for a simple 2-pole 50A plug.

I originally looked at simple 4mm banana plugs and sockets, but the ones I've found are only rated at 6.5 amps. And I can't find any panel-mounting versions of the 4mm or 6mm gold bullet females.

So, any ideas, please?
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
California
Joined Apr 2006
1,247 Posts
Here you go, it is rated for 30A using 4mm banana plugs. For multiple chargers, install multiple binding post and connect the back end together using copper stock from local hardware store.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...ualkey565-6883

B
asm_ is offline Find More Posts by asm_
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:07 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,433 Posts
For homany amps?

I charge @ 20; and use them in flight @ 40 & 60:
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:12 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,539 Posts
I assume you were looking at the SB50 series.

Have you looked at the PP75 series instead? They are shaped like the PP15/30/45A series and chassis mounts are available. Here is the link from the PowerWerx website:

75A PP Connector: http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...ck-75-amp.html

75A PP Chassis mount: http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...clamp-set.html

BTW, I use the PP15/30/45PP series in all nearly my planes (electric). I am sold on them!
philipa_240sx is online now Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
For how many amps?
Good question. The 45A PowerPole is good for short bursts up to 70A
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:34 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,219 Posts
I'm using the mounts on my power supply. For a couple a little metal plates they work quite well.

Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:49 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,884 Posts
Lots of good stuff there, thanks guys

asm_ I was hoping for something that wouldn't protrude so much as those posts do, but I see in that link they also do simple sockets rated at 15A, so maybe I can just over-amp those a bit. I might find something even better if I peruse their pages a bit more ... ah yes, this is the kind of thing I was hoping for http://gb.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...DnK%252bxYEEP3, but again it's only 15A.

jrb I'm planning on 20A at the moment.

philipa_240sx that's just what I was looking for, except I was hoping they wouldn't protrude so much above the panel. I was looking at a UK electronics retailer's site, so I'll have to check if they have those particular items.

Gregor99 have you got a reference for those round sockets, please? Are they rated for 47 amps, or are you over-amping them?

I've never used PowerPoles before, so I think it's time to get some, with the mounting plate, and experiment
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:52 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,884 Posts
Well, it certainly helps if you know what you're looking for when you Google: I've found a UK source of PowerPoles, and I've been able to order 15/45 connector housings with 45-amp contacts, and panel mount plates that match.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:30 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,433 Posts
No issue w/standard size @ 20amps!

I buy in bulk and crimp.

Latets purchase was actually via Tower: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXD177&P=8 .
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:32 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,433 Posts
PS: I make my panel/chasis mount form extra shells & old nylon clevis.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:41 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
Gregor99 have you got a reference for those round sockets, please? Are they rated for 47 amps, or are you over-amping them?
The binding posts are these ones from Radio Shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102838

I didn't see an amp rating on the web page and sorry don't recall if there was one on the package. The installation of the wire is critical to the total amp capability. My supplies use 8 guage wire which at the time I thought was massive overkill. Now I'm glad I did it. It appears that the larger gauge wire is doing a nice job if helping to wick away some of the heat.

For the assembly, I removed the bolt on the end of the binding post and wrapped the threaded thread part with the 8 gauge wire, which was then soldered to the threaded post. All covered in heat shrink. The way I built the supply, the lower portion of the binding posts and the soldered connection are in the path of the air flow from the fans. To help with cooling (see below).

These binding posts were originally added for my Cellpro10 which maxes out at 25 amps. That was all I was hoping to get out of them. I was building another supply for a friend that is using 4mm bullets, so I wanted to test mine to see how they would hold up at 47 amps. I was quite surprised to find that the upper portion (with the plastic removed to expose the metal for the IR thermometer) only raised about 10 degrees above ambient. This in contrast to the 10 gauge wire on my PowerLab 8 which reached 130f during the same test. The lower portion that is in the fan wash saw no measurable increase in temp.

I'm not ready to dump my 75a APP's, but this test was quite promising for 4mm binding posts. You want to use caution when pushing 4mm connectors, however. I have another set of male 4mm plugs from RS that get to 90f with only 15 amps. I was able to increase thier capabilities by soldering the spring to the shaft. In the 47a test with the RS binding post, I used some Nue 4mm male plugs. They look just like the ones you get from HK, etc. But handled the 47 amps without an issue.

Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:17 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,539 Posts
abenn,

I buy my PowerPoles from Newark Electronics. They are a division of Farnell... who also have a UK division. Look here:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/bro...questid=416907

The smaller power poles are rated for 45A continuous using 10ga wire. The 'exposed' portion with the panel mount would only be ~10mm. There is also a low profile panel mount that you could use:

Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:27 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,884 Posts
Thanks everyone for the additional info.

Gregor99, those binding posts look like some I've seen which are officially rated at 15A. I'm not surprised they can handle more though, providing good solder connections have been made with heavy wire. I've ordered some PowerPoles now, so if I like them I'll use them on both my field charger and glow starter motor.

philipa_240sx, I've ordered my PowerPoles from http://www.torberry.co.uk/. I've used Farnell in the past, but couldn't remember their name when I was searching for connectors The housings and contacts come separately, and contacts are available for them for 15, 30, and 45 amps. I don't know how they differ from the 30A ones, which I presume are what people in the US are referring to as "standard" PowerPoles, but they're the smallest that come with a custom panel-mount.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:13 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
The housings and contacts come separately, and contacts are available for them for 15, 30, and 45 amps. I don't know how they differ from the 30A ones, which I presume are what people in the US are referring to as "standard" PowerPoles, but they're the smallest that come with a custom panel-mount.
The smallest and most common Power Poles are the 15/30/45 Amp versions. The housing and actual contact size is identical, the only difference is the wire crimp diameter. One thing that many do not understand is the amp rating is dependent on the temperature rise at the contact. The larger the wire diameter, the larger current the connector can handle without overheating.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:07 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,884 Posts
My PowerPoles arrived today, and I can see now why so many people on this forum rave about them.

I don't have the correct crimping tools, and my wire diameters vary a lot, so I tinned the wires, crimped them onto the connectors with pliers, then fed solder in to make sure everything was held tight. Assembly was simple, once I'd figured out how they went together. Using this method, I might as well stick with the 45A contacts irrespective of the wire diameter.

I'll be sticking with my Deans Ultras for my models though, because (a) I've got too many to be changing everything now and (b) the PowerPoles are too big to tuck inside the battery bay on at least one of my models.