Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:39 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
956 Posts
Discussion
If you could only have one plane.....what would it be?

If you were limited to ONE Plane,just to have fun with.For Sport flying,not competetion flying,and could have your choice of any plane,what would it be? And why? What is on your wish list?

Would it be Foam,Woodie,Composite,Moldie?

1Meter,2Meter,3Meter etc.?

Res,Full House etc.?

I know everyone has their own favorite within their arsenal. And everyone flies different,Thermaling,Slope, Competition,etc.but was just curious what you would have if you were only allowed to have ONE Plane. Or if you allready have the one and only.
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:23 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,110 Posts
Easy answer:

HKM 7.2 meter ASW28 with up and go electric module.

If I had one of these, I would sell most everything else I own.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:46 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
My, that's a big one.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:00 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Can only comment on my current fleet. Would keep my Radian if I could only keep one.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:17 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
526 Posts
Mirage

I like fairly large light weight RES woodies.

My favorite by far is the Mirage (Isthmus Models): 3 meters, extremely nice, hands off thermal machine, 35 oz pure, 40 oz powered.

A real pleasure to fly. Flew today 80 minutes with long durations of deployed spoilers and spiraling (but my plane is unpure and took 3 electric climb-outs).

The Mirage has spoiled me.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:03 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Just now: My Radian. Lot of fun and training for a low price. They are on sale here now, for a really good price.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined May 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
I like fairly large light weight RES woodies.

My favorite by far is the Mirage (Isthmus Models): 3 meters, extremely nice, hands off thermal machine, 35 oz pure, 40 oz powered.

A real pleasure to fly. Flew today 80 minutes with long durations of deployed spoilers and spiraling (but my plane is unpure and took 3 electric climb-outs).

The Mirage has spoiled me.

Craig
Would like pictures of this bird please
WallsRoofing71 is offline Find More Posts by WallsRoofing71
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
WOW this is a tuff question. Right now, it would be my Mini BOT from Ray. Before that, it would have been my Mini AVA. And before that, it would have been my Omega 1.8.
I like poly RES planes.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:34 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsRoofing71 View Post
Would like pictures of this bird please
Hi, WR:

Here are two shots of my electrified Mirage.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:14 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,630 Posts
It wouldn't be a glider even though it is only 3 channel and has the loading of one. A 105" old timer, the 2000 Quaker.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:20 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If I could have only one, it would probably be a flying wing of some type. Larger "Zagi" style..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:01 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,365 Posts
Omega II 1.8E that I have. Straight wing version with full span flaperons. I love how that thing flies in all weather. It really suits my style, it moves fast, thermals fast, and when I'm tired of the ride I'm in I can kick out and really cover some ground to the next one, even in big wind. Its probably not the best flying plane for all lol, its pretty unforgiving if you slow down too much or give it too much input but I guess my flying style has grown accustomed to how it likes to be flown over the year I've had it. I have a poly version with flaps and the original builder even did so much as to make a new rudder for it about 3 times as big as the stock one, so it has plenty of authority, but I just cant get that one to fly as good as the straight edge one
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Mar 15, 2011, 02:13 PM
Nederland, GE
Joined Jan 2010
128 Posts
well, a structurally strong but light large electric REF, and thus i got a ava pro-ef.
m4rc3l is offline Find More Posts by m4rc3l
Old Mar 15, 2011, 03:06 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,630 Posts
I have the 2M Magellan with flaps and ailerons and agree it is an excellent all-a-rounder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
Omega II 1.8E that I have. Straight wing version with full span flaperons. I love how that thing flies in all weather. It really suits my style, it moves fast, thermals fast, and when I'm tired of the ride I'm in I can kick out and really cover some ground to the next one, even in big wind. Its probably not the best flying plane for all lol, its pretty unforgiving if you slow down too much or give it too much input but I guess my flying style has grown accustomed to how it likes to be flown over the year I've had it. I have a poly version with flaps and the original builder even did so much as to make a new rudder for it about 3 times as big as the stock one, so it has plenty of authority, but I just cant get that one to fly as good as the straight edge one
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:24 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
It wouldn't be a glider even though it is only 3 channel and has the loading of one.
Same here with an old timer, my 1936 86" Miss Delaware would have to be the onest and onlyest if forced to choose. 9 oz./sq.ft and a quite capable thermal machine.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Leadchucker; Mar 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM.