HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:06 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
Discussion
Ohhh noo, 2nd flight on the HobbyKing Phoenix 2000

And the motor died. Ughhhh. All I was doing was unpowered high speed dives and then slowly climbing back up at like 50% throttle. After like 6 minutes of doing that I noticed that there was no power and had to land with the wind as I was already at like 10ft low.

Should I email hobbyking about getting a replacement, or maybe just get a parkzone radian motor or something?
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:11 AM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
626 Posts
[QUOTE=KillerCut;17668052]And the motor died. Ughhhh.

"The quality remains long after the price is forgotten". - Old modelers proverb!

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
The plane looks like its pretty good quality. But I guess the motor is a cheapo.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
can it be that youe BEC was activated??
just exploring possibilties

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:26 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Buy cheap, buy twice?
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:37 PM
Sweden!!
Sverige, Gävleborgs Län, Gävle
Joined Mar 2011
18 Posts
hey!

mine died on the 10:th flight werry poor quality!!
AndreasXX is offline Find More Posts by AndreasXX
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:39 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
A trend emerges ...
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:09 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
hahahha, their batteries (rhino,turnigy and zippy) have lasted longer than any other I have ever tried, including thunderpower, hyperion, polyquest and maxamps. They hold their charge and deliver power for years! I can buy 3 of their SUPERIOR batteries for the price of 1 CRAPPY THUNDERPOWER. So dont assume that their stuff is crap right away. I'm just saying this motor died, there is no such thing as a trend! If you think trends exist, why dont you put all your money in the stock market.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:19 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Their little batteries are not bad, but their motors, ESCs and such are crap.

IMHO.
Old May 03, 2011, 11:44 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
On the first flight, motor died. It appears motor and ESC were overheating.
After landing and some cooling period, motor started again.

On the second test flight, I was cautious. I used full throttle only for launching and climbing for about 15 seconds. After then, I flew only at half throttle for the rest of flight. Because of its light weight, Phoenix was able to climb even at half throttle.

I encountered no problem with motor during entire 15 min. of flight.

Apparently, Phoenix is designed as a light thermal soarer and not speed plane. If you use it correctly, you should have no problem. If you intended to fly this plane at fast speed, you selected a wrong plane. The light foam wing will not survive high G flying anyway.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 14, 2011, 11:02 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Wait until you hit a wing tip with an immovable object, like when you make a bad landing. Because of the ridiculous way they have secured the wings at the wing roots with just 4 screws, the wings naturally just snap off at this point

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old May 15, 2011, 05:06 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
hahahha, their batteries (rhino,turnigy and zippy) have lasted longer than any other I have ever tried, including thunderpower, hyperion, polyquest and maxamps. They hold their charge and deliver power for years! I can buy 3 of their SUPERIOR batteries for the price of 1 CRAPPY THUNDERPOWER. So dont assume that their stuff is crap right away. I'm just saying this motor died, there is no such thing as a trend! If you think trends exist, why dont you put all your money in the stock market.
I agree about the batteries. However, considering what you paid for this glider compared to the range of prices of all gliders on the market, you have to accept that it is more on the Mahindra end of the quality scale....
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:51 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
My motor died on the second flight. It was returned to HK for replacement. Waiting for replacement more than a month.

I used another motor and now motor mount plastic wall broke and nose wall had to be rebuilt with strong plywood.

Let HK know these defects of Phoenix and demand partial refunds.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:26 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
My motor died on the second flight. It was returned to HK for replacement. Waiting for replacement more than a month.

I used another motor and now motor mount plastic wall broke and nose wall had to be rebuilt with strong plywood.

Let HK know these defects of Phoenix and demand partial refunds.
I've been waiting since the end of January for a replacement fuse for an ASW28 glider I brought from hobby king, mine arrived damaged and even tho I emailed them as soon as it arrived and provided photo's they are still giving me the run around.
Do they give partial refunds?
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:57 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,831 Posts
mine is gone already, clevis came loose and nosed into a tree at high speed. i was going to tape it with scotch tape to keep them on, but it was holding on for a number of flights and I forgot to tape it. ohhh well.