HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:58 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Discussion
New Walkera LM180D01 Flybarless coaxial?

So how is this supposed to fly?

http://www.walkera.com/en1/?la=en
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:11 PM
Z24
Tamiya For A Me A
Z24's Avatar
Canada, ON, Strathroy
Joined Feb 2010
286 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/user/xhelicop...16/G2uTdD-Erdw

Check it out
Z24 is offline Find More Posts by Z24
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:07 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Frank_fjs's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Why would it not be able to fly? Because it doesn't have a mechanical flybar? It has an electronic one instead.

Walkera and now other manufacturers are all heading this way, with flybarless helicopters.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:52 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Why would it not be able to fly? Because it doesn't have a mechanical flybar? It has an electronic one instead.

Walkera and now other manufacturers are all heading this way, with flybarless helicopters.
I didn't ask if it could fly, I asked how does it fly...two different questions. Meaning does it do the coaxial wobble still, is it better at FF, and can it handle a little wind better than a similar sized counterparts.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
The blade shape would require more headspeed than the conventional wide, convex coax blades. More headspeed means better stability and faster response. A 45 offset flybar cancels movement. A 3 axis gyro should be a lot less intrusive. It should handle a little wind pretty well. I think I'm going to have to pick one of these up. Does anyone know if Walkera still uses chrome plated plastic for the lower rotor center hub?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:52 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Frank_fjs's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
I didn't ask if it could fly, I asked how does it fly...two different questions. Meaning does it do the coaxial wobble still, is it better at FF, and can it handle a little wind better than a similar sized counterparts.
Sorry, my mistake.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The blade shape would require more headspeed than the conventional wide, convex coax blades. More headspeed means better stability and faster response. A 45 offset flybar cancels movement. A 3 axis gyro should be a lot less intrusive. It should handle a little wind pretty well. I think I'm going to have to pick one of these up. Does anyone know if Walkera still uses chrome plated plastic for the lower rotor center hub?
It does look good. Although, I would wait for the next version where they incorporate this into a Lama 3 and have a CP Flybarless coaxial.

I'm still hesitant about Walkera though. I went to fly my V400D02 and 2 of the gears were stripped! No crashes and two stripped gears (I only hovered it once). However, their designs always make them look interesting.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
It does look good. Although, I would wait for the next version where they incorporate this into a Lama 3 and have a CP Flybarless coaxial.

I'm still hesitant about Walkera though. I went to fly my V400D02 and 2 of the gears were stripped! No crashes and two stripped gears (I only hovered it once). However, their designs always make them look interesting.
I've had 8 Walkera helis and they require a certain amount of modifications and upgrades. Some were just plain bad ideas to start with. It never hurts to wait and see. But, this model doesn't seem like it will be a huge investment. The Lama 3 was an interesting concept, but unless you have pitch control on both rotors, you are going to have some very strange flight characteristics.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:54 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I've had 8 Walkera helis and they require a certain amount of modifications and upgrades. Some were just plain bad ideas to start with. It never hurts to wait and see. But, this model doesn't seem like it will be a huge investment. The Lama 3 was an interesting concept, but unless you have pitch control on both rotors, you are going to have some very strange flight characteristics.
With flybarless it could simplify the head enough to make a dual CP coaxial possible.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:18 PM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,261 Posts
That is where the dual swash comes in, especially critical in a flybarless setup. I just scrapped one design due to gyro failure. EQmod pulled this off well over a year ago on a lama3. If I could find 2 small gyros that function on their side for axis/servo control I would have one in the air as we speak.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:11 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
That is where the dual swash comes in, especially critical in a flybarless setup. I just scrapped one design due to gyro failure. EQmod pulled this off well over a year ago on a lama3. If I could find 2 small gyros that function on their side for axis/servo control l would have one in the air as we speak.
why do they have to work on their side??
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:10 PM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,261 Posts
Or for a more accurate phrase,, on their backs. The gyro has to measure side to side and front to back movement. This means setting them on edge. Most will not function this way.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:01 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,370 Posts
just an idea LMH: take a look at this, maybe it has something in it you havent dug up jet ...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=thesteelcube

E2
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:56 PM
Professional heli wrecker
Luvmyhelis's Avatar
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
just an idea LMH: take a look at this, maybe it has something in it you havent dug up jet ...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=thesteelcube

E2
Thanks Sven, I did and have bought products from abeyer but the servos mentioned have been removed. nice to know I was on the right track. Even EQmod wont return my emails, maybe he has retired from all this. I wonder though, if the RX has all the 3axis function in this walkera? Then all a guy would have to do is add some brushed to brushless chips (that I just sold, darnit) and move this into a competing brushless build
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:03 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
9,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Thanks Sven, I did and have bought products from abeyer but the servos mentioned have been removed. nice to know I was on the right track. Even EQmod wont return my emails, maybe he has retired from all this. I wonder though, if the RX has all the 3axis function in this walkera? Then all a guy would have to do is add some brushed to brushless chips (that I just sold, darnit) and move this into a competing brushless build
this is more or less exactly what I would expect ... (if ever one of my brushless tries would actually turn out to work at all ... ...)

E2
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E2's canopy thread
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review New Walkera V400D02 6CH Flybarless RC Helicopter NitroD XHeli 1 Feb 07, 2011 01:42 PM
Discussion Walkera new 3D flybarless V400D02 Naev 3D Electric Heli Flying 2 Oct 31, 2010 08:50 PM
Sold NEW Walkera Flybarless Micro Heli V100D01 w/WK-2403 TX - Price Reduced! ptt81 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 04, 2010 12:41 PM
Sold NEW Walkera Flybarless Micro Heli V100D01 w/WK-2403 TX ptt81 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Sep 28, 2010 09:51 PM
Sold New Walkera Flybarless Micro Heli V100D01 w/WK-2403 TX ptt81 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Sep 24, 2010 04:10 PM