HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:43 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
Discussion
brushed motor, brushless ESC

The new ESCs I have say that they are for both brushed and brushless motors. How do I wire the 3 ESC leads to the 2 MOTOR leads?

My thought is to leave the middle ESC one off and connect the oiher two to the motor so I have the correct motor rotation.

How much disaster am I courting????

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:10 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
What makes you feel this will work?
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:26 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,411 Posts
I've never used a brushless ESC with a brushed motor, but if designed so that it initializes properly, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

One of the 3 wires on a brushless system is used for position sensing.

If one of the 3 wires is disconnected, the ESC should still be capable of pulse width modulating the remaining 2 wires to control the speed of the brushed motor.

In the diagram below, with one of the wires removed (A for example), BH and CL would then be pulse width modulated to control the brushed motor. BH and CL would continue to control the speed of the brushed motor because they would not be receiving any new position sensing information because of the disconnected wire.

The only difficulty that I see is the initialization sequence. It would be up to the manufacturer to design the ESC to ensure that it initialized properly.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Mar 13, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:23 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
The new ESCs I have say that they are for both brushed and brushless motors. How do I wire the 3 ESC leads to the 2 MOTOR leads?
The motor may be connected between two particular phase wires (eg. blue and yellow) or all three phase wires may be connected to the motor negative and battery positive connected to motor positive (forward only type).

The correct connections (and also what programming is required) may not be the same for different makes, and if you get it wrong the ESC could be damaged. Therefore you should read and follow the instructions which were supplied with your ESC!
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:37 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
What are these "new ESCs" and what do their instructions say about connecting them to motors ?

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
What makes me think i will work is that the instructions say it will. However, it gives instructions ONLY for 3 wire brushless motors. "New" means bought within the last month; one brand is electrifly.

I'm new at this, but I read instructions and ask questions.

howell
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:06 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,429 Posts
Sorry, can't help then. I've seen Electrifly brushed ESCs and I've seen Electrifly brushless ESCs but I've never seen one that claims to do both.

In fact I haven't seen ANY plane ESC that works with both brushed and brushless since Shulze stopped making theirs several years ago. There are some big expensive Novak car ESCs about but I know they need to be specifically programmed for each motor type.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:21 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,321 Posts
Howell:

Exactly which esc do you have and exactly what does the manual say (quote the manual) about the ability to go either brushed or brushless?

I haven't heard of such and animal either.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:24 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,737 Posts
OOOKAY. I am flat wrong. The ad copy said it was for both, and it uses "all" types of batteries.

I DO have a brushed ESC, os i can still use my old Astro 035 on a Feather Merchant.

howell