HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
Help!
Poor range: Identifiy this 5.8Ghz(?) antenna

Dissapointed by the performance of my Fatshark 5.8GHz goggles I decided to tear appart one of the antennas!

Can anybody help me and identify what exactly this antenna is? Is it a 5.8GHz? 2.4? Dualband? Dipole? "Mini-Patch"?

Any help appreciated!
nosaari is offline Find More Posts by nosaari
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:50 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
Looks to me like a bazooka dipole for 5.8GHz.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:42 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
the stock fatshark 5.8g antennas are really bad!

get a pair of those and your range will almost double
http://globe-flight.com/3dBi-58-Ghz-Rubber-Duck-Antenna
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:48 AM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
Thanks for your input, unfortunately they are out of stock but I will keep an eye on them! I read that they really can make a difference!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:41 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
5.8 GHz antennas are extremely sensitive. I am developing some circularly polarized 5.8GHz antennas that have been performing very well for everyone who has tried them.

If you are fairly handy, look up the "cloverleaf" antenna tutorial and build two of those. one for the plane, the other for the RX. You will be impressed with the performance even if the build is done poorly.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
Wow great tutorial, thanks! Just got me some welding wire and tried bending one. Boy do those 5.8GHz antennas get small! But unfortunately I had no luck soldering the two pieces together with electronic solder... Whats the best way to get these together?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
Finally weather allowed me to test two new pairs of antennas: some selfmade cloverleafs and brand new 5.8 rubber ducks from globe flight.

The rubber ducks gave me some improvement but still nothing serious.
Unfortunately the cloverleafs did not perform as expected and showed worse results as the rubber ducks... Not sure what was wrong, I guess I did not build them good enough? Besides that, I'm thinking maybe the environment (tested in some playground with houses around it) and/or the fatshark RX(/TX) are just bad...
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:48 AM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaari View Post
Finally weather allowed me to test two new pairs of antennas: some selfmade cloverleafs and brand new 5.8 rubber ducks from globe flight.

The rubber ducks gave me some improvement but still nothing serious.
Unfortunately the cloverleafs did not perform as expected and showed worse results as the rubber ducks... Not sure what was wrong, I guess I did not build them good enough? Besides that, I'm thinking maybe the environment (tested in some playground with houses around it) and/or the fatshark RX(/TX) are just bad...
have you tried facing one of the lobes in the front of your plane/multirotor ?

There are 3 lobes on the cloverleaf. I did that for the first time today and surprised my self big time.

try it out if you already havent done it other wise it is clearly magnetic interference. untill you go to another location that is at least an hour away, dont come to any conclusion. dont get me wrong that doesnt mean you are out of the magnetic radiation zone but worth giving a try. hopefully you get no interference and we can conclude it just happens to be that particular area that messes with you.
Smurf87 is offline Find More Posts by Smurf87