HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:27 PM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Discussion
Chaos 600 limited edition combo kit unboxed

Here is a video of my new Chaos 600 limited edition combo kit unboxed video. I made this video to show what you will get in the kit. More info. can be found @ this link: http://www.scaleflying.com/

BTW this is not just any clone but a very high quality kit that is 100% compatible to the Align Trex 600esp.

*please note that the swash plate and pitch gauge tools are sold separately and are not included in the kit.

Chaos 600 unbox video (7 min 14 sec)
Dr. Evil is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Evil
Last edited by Dr. Evil; Mar 18, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Great job Doc.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Great job Doc.
Thanks Dave(?), just trying to give credit where credit is due...
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:21 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Doc,

I've been following the other Chaos 600 thread, very impressive machine for sure. I recently purchased the Chaos 450 Pro and love it. I do have a Trex 500, and plan on getting a Chaos 600 shortly. And I do agree with you on the quality, it is top notch and the aluminum is aircraft grade 7075. Far from a clone like EXI's and HK's, regardless of the helis size, 450, 500 or 600. (Had them too)

If you can squeeze it in, some build video would be great.

Dave
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:24 PM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Doc,

I've been following the other Chaos 600 thread, very impressive machine for sure. I recently purchased the Chaos 450 Pro and love it. I do have a Trex 500, and plan on getting a Chaos 600 shortly. And I do agree with you on the quality, it is top notch and the aluminum is aircraft grade 7075. Far from a clone like EXI's and HK's, regardless of the helis size, 450, 500 or 600. (Had them too)

If you can squeeze it in, some build video would be great.

Dave
ok will do but i am taking my time on this build for sure as I want to do everything 100% right but I'll try and get few videos along the way. I just friended you..., btw...I am also friends with Enguneer (Kyle) as well. RCG is such a small place....LOL
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:35 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Doc,

No need to ever hurry on a build, I agree with you on getting everything 100%.
On the build video, use your own discretion on whether to video or not. I've built several, but we always enjoy watching friends build their own.
Oh yea, that guy... Enguneer. LMAO! That's K2 to me, we're buddies too.

Take care, have fun, if you get tired during the build, stop right there. Easy to make mistakes and overlook something.

Dave
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:34 PM
Heli of a man
Joined Dec 2010
835 Posts
Thats a 10-4 D1 K2 over and out..
Enguneer is offline Find More Posts by Enguneer
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:01 PM
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2009
447 Posts
Hey Doc,

I noticed in the video they sent you a "sample" of the new canopy..Was that something you pre disscussed before ordering or a surprise?

I'm gonna be chasing the UPS truck like a dog after the mail man by the end of the week!

-Jeff
AllSpunUp is offline Find More Posts by AllSpunUp
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:07 PM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeabird13 View Post
Hey Doc,

I noticed in the video they sent you a "sample" of the new canopy..Was that something you pre disscussed before ordering or a surprise?

I'm gonna be chasing the UPS truck like a dog after the mail man by the end of the week!

-Jeff
Hey Jeff, try and not hurt the mail man too bad by week ends...LOL! I was just like you...very excited about receiving mine. As for the sample...is just that, a "sample" which will most likely come in the Chaos 600 kit at some point but like I 've mentioned on the video....don't hold me to it because things can change. That canopy design comes on the 700 now very soon to be released but as for it coming on the 600, I am not sure...sorry thats all I can tell you.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:55 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
awesome heli kit !! gonna look into one of those.

i like the original canopy though
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:20 AM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Progress updates.....

Ok, so over this past weekend I've got the head completed and started on the frame assembly. Everything went together fine on the head, just a few minor things to look out for when following the manual. Example: there may be a few leftover screws or the diagram on the manual may look slightly different than your Chaos. There are also few already pre-assembled parts that the manual does not mention. I still double checked for thread lock on all the screws and bolts to be 100%.

Moving on to the frame, you can save a little time by not making this mistake as I have. Make sure out of the 3 bearing blocks that is included in this kit that there is 1 that has a small diameter opening in the bearing. This smaller diameter bearing block goes to the very bottom of the frame so that when you install the main shaft through the bearing blocks it doesn't stop till it reaches the bottom.

Installing the base plate to the frame had another small issue to deal with but no big deal. There are 2 small rectangle tabs on each sides of the base plate that fits through the carbon fiber main frame. Well, the problem is that these tabs are slightly bigger than the holes on the frame. So all you have to do is to take an exacto blade and remove a very small amount off the tabs so that it can fit into the frame. *Make sure you don't take too much off.

Well....thats all for now, I'll try and post some pics or videos later.
Last edited by Dr. Evil; Mar 20, 2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: adding pics.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:25 PM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Progress updates part 2.....

....ok so the built continues as I get ever closer to completing it. Over this past weekend, I gotten as far as I can. The airframe is pretty much done as is until I am able to pick up a lipo to test and adjust linkages to each servos.

I picked up from where I've left off from last weekend by installing the servos, they all went in fairly easy and neatly to say the least. I did pickup some Align Trex linkage balls with included nuts for the servo wheels. Several people on here have mentioned that its a safer bet....I guess like an insurance policy if you will. Just like the CC BEC Pro I will be installing to aid the stock ESC, you probably won't need it but again...like that insurance policy I was talking about.

....next was the tail assembly by installing the boom into the tail transmission. At this point which the torque tube w/ bearing is inserted into the carbon tail boom. Intalling the tail rotor blades was next including the carbon control rod which is connected to the tail servo making the tail section completed with the final touch of adding the carbon stabliizers. I did a little customizing on the tail servo's horn by grinding it down for a better fit under the boom.

....moving on to intalling the motor and main gear, which then you can follow by completing this area with sliding the entire head assembly into place. You will also have to grind down alittle more than whats on the shaft now in order to be able to install the pinion correctly.
One note I would like to mention at this point....and I am not sure why this has not been corrected in the manual. Do yourself a favor and at some point of the assembly of the mail frame if possible, go ahead and install the motor cause its a real pain to have to unbolt something just to fit the motor in at the point when the manual tells you to.....

....last but not least, installed the main carbon fiber rotor blades and canopy to top everything off....and let me tell ya, at this point you have realize how BIG this bird really is.

Final words: this built has been a pleasure, I've enjoyed it very much and would recommend it to anyone who just enjoy rc helis that would want more than a RTF experience. I personally have never built a heli not alone a "600 size" one at that but it really wasn't hard at all. With a little common sense and patients, reading the manual step by step...you can figure out everyting to complete this built.

enough said....here are a few pics. from what I've talked about here.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:42 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Dr. Evil,

Great write up and with a few tips included, can't beat that. Your Chaos is looking great, and for your first build a job well done.

Since you haven't had time to pick up a 6S lipo yet, if you're just going to test servos and set linkages, you can use a 3S lipo for that.

Dave
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:35 PM
Just trying to fly...
NC
Joined Jan 2011
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Dr. Evil,

Great write up and with a few tips included, can't beat that. Your Chaos is looking great, and for your first build a job well done.

Since you haven't had time to pick up a 6S lipo yet, if you're just going to test servos and set linkages, you can use a 3S lipo for that.

Dave
Oh really, I have two...LOL, they are 3s 2200 mah ...will that work? It wouldn't hurt anything right?....LOL
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:43 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Doc,

It won't hurt a thing, because you're going through the ESC to power the RX anyway.

If you're setting linkages and servos, you want to unplug the motor anyway.

Oh, it'll even run the motor, just at a lower rpm. I wouldn't recommend it though, the 600 size motor would probably heat the battery up pretty quickly because of the demand for higher amps and voltages. BTW, I've done this on my Trex 500 when setting up servos, using a 3S battery.