SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,843 Posts
32 is WAY too light. Use it for indoor flat foamies, that's it!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Spektrum GPS sensor manual is already on the webite: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...587-Manual.pdf

And I really like this one, a genuine Spektrum 4 channel full range dual diversity DSMX receiver 2048 resolution with data output for only $29.99
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR400
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
AR400 looks sweet! The price is right. And the antennae come out of the case at 90 degrees.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
So I asked this in the dx8 thread.....

But how accurate is the voltage sensor on the tm1000? It concerns me because I have seen 4.3 volts on my readout for high low voltages, until last night where I saw 3.1.

The bec is 6amps at 6volts so I should have more than enough juice, but the alarm that I set to 4.8volts is not going off. Someone mentioned it in the dx8 thread that it may be dropping really fast and the alarm can't catch it.

Servos are new also
The maximum deviation I had was 0.3V with a 3S LiPo. That would be 1.2V with 12S. Depends on the telemetry module's voltage divider. Tried various TM modules, one is more accurate, one not. Not as accurate as I liked it to be. It is a shame that they are not calibrated....
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,843 Posts
Actually, it would probably STILL be 0.3V with 12S. The error tends to be an offset error more than a slope error.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
How long does it take for the rpm to level out? Getting some high rpm numbers before it levels out.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:02 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
602 Posts
I just got the DX8 with TM-1000 and first I have to say overall I'm happy with it and having a realtime altimeter has helped me learn some things I didnt know before with my glider. I'm kinda just starting out with gliders and the nearest glider club is an hour away. Learning has been slow even with all the info I have been finding on the web. My only hitch with the DX8 has been binding but that was before I found out that I was releasing the bind button too late. Now that I know to release it when the "binding" shows on the screen, it binds every time. I still have a few questions for which I havent seen answers yet.

1) Roller tension: I sometimes press the roller unintentionally when trying to get to different screens in the telemetry. Is there an adjustment for this?

2)Altimeter: Is there a way to get the altitude on the same screen as the Rx volts, Battery volts and Temperature? I've been able to customize some readings but havent figured out this...

3)Altimeter alarms: Is there any plans to make the DX8 make some sort of noise when there is a change in altitude? A low frequency click/beep when dropping and high frequency click/beep when rising would be enough for me. The alarm I heard today when I powered up with flaps on would WAY too annoying and setting max altimeter alarm wont serve my purpose. It would be nice to hear a positive or negitive change without having to take my old eyes off my specked out glider.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,843 Posts
1) No adjustment. However, how you position your thumb makes a difference for click tension. I put my thumb up at the top for clicking.

2) No, the screens are not configurable like that. It's something I would like to have time to work on, though.

3) If you push the CLEAR button it will stop the alarm on the screen until you reset the condition from the plane, which will activate it again.

The frequency/ticking thing you are asking for is called a Vario. We announced/showed one at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in February this year. I cannot give you a ship date.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
If you opt to purchase the STi, the screens are configureable. It plugs into an iPhone/iPad and also has an audio output that you can configure to "speak" values. Actually, you can easily get into information overload, having read outs occur too often and too much. I've settled on read outs for 3 sensors, and at a 15 second interval. I didn't see an option to "Speak" or click/tone an output for Variometer, but it will probably come in an upgrade once Spektrum makes the Vario available.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
stgdz,
What kind of motor, and what kind of sensor? My Hall effect sensor on both a Speed Webra .91 and the ole SuperTiger .61 read as soon as they exceed 2700RPM. The Electronic Speed Brushless sensor, never stabilized to my satisfaction. The optical sensor on the other hand, starts reading below 2000RPM and tracks down to 1700 on the two brushless motors I am using.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
1) No adjustment. However, how you position your thumb makes a difference for click tension. I put my thumb up at the top for clicking.

2) No, the screens are not configurable like that. It's something I would like to have time to work on, though.

3) If you push the CLEAR button it will stop the alarm on the screen until you reset the condition from the plane, which will activate it again.

The frequency/ticking thing you are asking for is called a Vario. We announced/showed one at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in February this year. I cannot give you a ship date.

Andy
Thank you for your answers. When I read your answer about the Vario, I must have giggled out loud. My wife just asked me, "what are you buying now?" I'll be keeping an eye out for the next .sax file too.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
How long does it take for the rpm to level out? Getting some high rpm numbers before it levels out.
Seems you use a brushless sensor. Those show high rpms during spoolup (and complete crap with castle creations).
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:41 AM
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Hello,

I had recently 2 bad experiences with TM1000. One on my T-Rex550 using AR8000 and the other on a quad multirotor using AR7000. In both case, I don't use UBEC. When the low battery alarm triggers, I was preparing to land, the ESC low-voltage was still not triggered when the RX voltage went to zero... failsafe and crash...How is this possible that with individual lipo cell not going below 3 Volts, you could have RX that is not power supplied anymore.

I initially blamed on the T-Rex integrated BEC but then I had the issue with the multicopter (there are 4 ESCs which all 4 contribute to Power the flight controller and RX). The TM modules are 2 separate one as well as RX, so it is not a faulty unit issue. One common point is in both case that was an old battery which did not have the initial C rating and did not well handle quick high throttle (decrease of the voltage). In both case the min Volt value recorded in flight was 10 Volts (3S) and 22V (4S) while the RX went to Zero!!!

Please tell me if this issue sound familiar to you and how to solve it... I don't want to go to separated BEC or Lipo to supply the RX...

Gregory
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,378 Posts
What kind of ESC besc do you have for your quad and what kind of quad that you have ALL FOUR esc/brc powering the unit. Unless specified by the manufacturer of the esc that they are design differently most esc setup when you have more then one esc YOU MUST REMOVE the bec from the other esc.

They will all be fighting each other and that is not good. The TM unit require power to work. if you are having bec problem or are running them at there limits adding the TM 1000 could caused them to overload and shut down.

You need to re-think your power systems, not wanting to add seperate bec when its recommend results in crashes most of the time.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:22 AM
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
I agree with you for the power of the Quad. So far I never had an issue with 4 Turnigy plush 10A, addind the TM unit may have resulted in overload. The board is a Paris Multiwii from multiwiicopter in australia. I can easily in this setup add an CC separated BEC plugged in the board and disable the power from the ESC. That is what I do in my bigger Quads and Y6... But in this case, this is a mini quad and I used the TM instead because I wanted to keep it a simple setup compared to of all the LRS RX and OSD stuff including telemetry I use on the bigger multirotors I have.

Regarding the T-Rex 550, this is the standard 70A Align ESC. I would like to use the CC BEC as well but I am not sure where to plugin the BEC as the batt port is used by the TM ?

Gregory
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert