HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:53 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
15 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Andy.

I forgot to add that I have this sensor in my Logo400 mounted at the back near the tail servo. I also suspect because I can't mount the sensor in still air, like the fuselage of a plane, that air speed could also be having a detrimental effect.

Any ideas for better placement in a pob/boom heli?

Should have thought of the clear button, thanks.

Pehaps when 2.03 goes non-beta we could get the telemetry duplicated in the main menu. Sooner rather than later would suit me.

Thanks again.

Jayson
Jays200 is offline Find More Posts by Jays200
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
It's not going to work well at all in a heli, at least the ones I've seen. All that turbulence is going to kill the accuracy. Can you put it into something like a 35mm file canister with a pinhole to allow air in/out? It will change the response rate, but also filter out the fluctuations.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:54 AM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays200 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Andy.

I forgot to add that I have this sensor in my Logo400 mounted at the back near the tail servo. I also suspect because I can't mount the sensor in still air, like the fuselage of a plane, that air speed could also be having a detrimental effect.

Any ideas for better placement in a pob/boom heli?

Should have thought of the clear button, thanks.

Pehaps when 2.03 goes non-beta we could get the telemetry duplicated in the main menu. Sooner rather than later would suit me.

Thanks again.

Jayson
I have heard of people putting the altimeter inside the canopy as close to the nose as possible. I think Andy's idea of the film canister is probably the best.
dfrazier is online now Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:53 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
15 Posts
I got to flight test the altimeter in a small plastic case on my Logo 400 yesterday.

It works very well and I'm happy with it so thanks to Andy and all for their fast and informative replies.

I placed the altimeter in a small plastic container with five pin holes in it. This worked but there seemed to be a delay in the altimeter readings so I made the rear facing hole a bit larger, about 1-2mm. This makes all the difference.

Thanks and regards.

Jayson
Jays200 is offline Find More Posts by Jays200
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:27 AM
Joined Jun 2008
339 Posts
The place where there are least gusting on a heli is near and below the rotor head, inside a canopy you often risk larger pressure changes when wind gusts outside...
You can also try wrap the sensor inside a little foam ball to "filter" the sudden changes.
Helicommand Profi has a delay for readings in their software to reduce those sudden readings
aeropics is offline Find More Posts by aeropics
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:26 PM
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
Spectrum Telemetry

Hi there, got my telemetry Airspeed and Altitude Sensors today,I was just wondering if I connected them correctly X-Bus to Alt Sensor and from Altitude sensor's extra port(X-Bus 2)to Airspeed,all seems fine and I am getting readings from both.Also is it possible to use a longer piece of silicone tubing on the airspeed sensor.
Thx
Marinus Venter
Polokwane
South Africa
marsman7222 is offline Find More Posts by marsman7222
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:41 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
You connected the correctly.

Longer tubing is OK, within reason. Hard plastic tubing makes a better extension.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:30 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman7222 View Post
Hi there, got my telemetry Airspeed and Altitude Sensors today,I was just wondering if I connected them correctly X-Bus to Alt Sensor and from Altitude sensor's extra port(X-Bus 2)to Airspeed,all seems fine and I am getting readings from both.Also is it possible to use a longer piece of silicone tubing on the airspeed sensor.
Thx
Marinus Venter
Polokwane
South Africa
I used air line from Robart which worked out well, also used their quick connectors to take my wing on and off. Supplied tubing was not long enough to even reach back into the fuse as you need to get the pitot tube far out enough to avoid any prop wash.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
Thx for the quick replies,I am also using rigid retract tubing ,Can I glue them to the Pitot with CA or Epoxy?
Thx
marsman7222 is offline Find More Posts by marsman7222
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:32 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman7222 View Post
Thx for the quick replies,I am also using rigid retract tubing ,Can I glue them to the Pitot with CA or Epoxy?
Thx
No glue was required. Just pushed it on, perfect fit.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:03 PM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,430 Posts
I just got an altitude sensor for my Radian. It's acting odd though. When I first hooked it up to the Telemetry module, my DX8 showed something like 2,000 feet when it was on the ground. I unplugged the wire from the altitude sensor and plugged it into the other port. When I did this, it went to about 0 and worked fine. Then I took it to my flying field to get it up in the air. When I hooked the battery up, it again gave a crazy altitude reading on the ground. I again switched the port that the wire was plugged into on the altitude sensor and it worked fine.

Any thoughts on why I have to keep switching ports on the altitude sensor every time I power up the thing?
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:42 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
After the DX8 sees the telemetry, you might just want to press CLEAR on the Min/Max screen. It is possible that you're seeing data in the filter buffer that isn't really there.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:08 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
subscribed. I just went and ordered the airspeed sensor to put it in my flyfly aermachi.
I just wonder if the peak values can be recorded in the memory card on my dx8
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:11 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
subscribed. I just went and ordered the airspeed sensor to put it in my flyfly aermachi.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:22 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I'm sorry sir but they do not. They are saved on the min/max screen til its powered down.
BigGuyJT is online now Find More Posts by BigGuyJT