to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:04 PM
Certified Propellerhead
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Mar 2001
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basser View Post
i hope the gps unit starts reading proper altitude.
Don't count on it. GPS altitude isn't accurate at all, never has been. It usually also lags behind sudden changes in altitude too.
I have some satellite communication equipment mounted in a fixed position on the roof at work. Among other things, it includes a GPS receiver. I have tried to log the data from it over several days, and while the position varies a little bit, the altitude goes bananas. I have seen numbers from -40 to +90 meters.

If altitude is important to you, use a barometric altitude sensor. I have both the Spektrum and an Eagle Tree, and they work much better than GPS ever will.
Mikael Pedersen is offline Find More Posts by Mikael Pedersen
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:07 PM
umpf umpf
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2008
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
4000' = 1333m.

Andy
so it reads in meters??? then why does the display actually say ft ???
can we toggle between meters and feet or set either meters or feet on the display for the dx18???? if not i would like it to be done on the next update please. lol. no, really.

im not looking for exact altitude just something close.
basser is offline Find More Posts by basser
Last edited by basser; Sep 06, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:40 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,429 Posts
Like Mikael said, it won't be close.

Although, like a clock whose hands don't move, it will be right occasionally.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2011
179 Posts
Got my gps sensor today. Got it all installed and it's not showing the time on the gps screen. It's showing 11 sats. How do I activate the time/clock?
minizoom is offline Find More Posts by minizoom
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Real Estate Aerial Video
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:10 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,429 Posts
It shows time on a DX18 or DX10t. You need to specify the time zone you are in. Go to the Telemetry menu, select GPS as a sensor, and then edit the configuration to set it to display and time zone.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
It shows time on a DX18 or DX10t. You need to specify the time zone you are in. Go to the Telemetry menu, select GPS as a sensor, and then edit the configuration to set it to display and time zone.

Andy
Forgot to mention I'm using a DX8 with firmware 2.05. I specified -7 for time zone and nothing, just reads zero's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,429 Posts
Are you outside?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Sep 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Are you outside?

Andy
Yes! I'm outside. Gonna fly right now and see it works.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
Yes! I'm outside. Gonna fly right now and see it works.
Just got back from flying and the clock still does not work. Should I send it in?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:44 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,429 Posts
Don't send it in yet, lets check things. First, let me apologize if I go through obvious things, but we need to make sure. This may help the next guy who has a similar problem.

Are you seeing other telemetry data coming through (receiver voltage is a good one)? That will tell us the telemetry system is operating. If not, make sure it's bound and all.

Do you have another device on the XBUS? Is it working? If not, it could be a bad wire. See if you can get one other XBUS device reporting properly first, and as the only thing on the bus. An altimeter or such is good. Note that you must power cycle the TM1000 every time you change the devices on the bus. If you can get one other device working

This will make sure you have a) telemetry working, and b) a good wire to the first device on the bus.

Make sure the GPS sensor is facing upwards (the lump goes up) and has a clear view of the sky. No metal overhead. It should be like this when you look from above: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ensor-SPMA9587

Make sure the GPS is connected properly. It should be like the picture in the manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPMA9587-Manual.pdf This should be a slam-dunk based on the earlier steps.

Now when you power cycle the TM1000, it should find the GPS sensor out there, which will start reporting. It needs to be outside with a good view of the sky so it can see the satellites. On the GPS screen the number of satellites is in the bottom right corner. Anything other than 0 indicates it's talking

BTW, it takes about 30 seconds to a minute before you start seeing real data coming out of the GPS. It has a cap inside that will carry it through power cycles for a few minutes while you change batteries.

Let me know how it goes.

If you do end up sending it in, I suggest you send in the TM1000, XBUS wire, and GPS unit together. This will help them find what the real problem is. Let's not go there yet.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Don't send it in yet, lets check things. First, let me apologize if I go through obvious things, but we need to make sure. This may help the next guy who has a similar problem.

Are you seeing other telemetry data coming through (receiver voltage is a good one)? That will tell us the telemetry system is operating. If not, make sure it's bound and all.

Do you have another device on the XBUS? Is it working? If not, it could be a bad wire. See if you can get one other XBUS device reporting properly first, and as the only thing on the bus. An altimeter or such is good. Note that you must power cycle the TM1000 every time you change the devices on the bus. If you can get one other device working

This will make sure you have a) telemetry working, and b) a good wire to the first device on the bus.

Make sure the GPS sensor is facing upwards (the lump goes up) and has a clear view of the sky. No metal overhead. It should be like this when you look from above: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ensor-SPMA9587

Make sure the GPS is connected properly. It should be like the picture in the manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPMA9587-Manual.pdf This should be a slam-dunk based on the earlier steps.

Now when you power cycle the TM1000, it should find the GPS sensor out there, which will start reporting. It needs to be outside with a good view of the sky so it can see the satellites. On the GPS screen the number of satellites is in the bottom right corner. Anything other than 0 indicates it's talking

BTW, it takes about 30 seconds to a minute before you start seeing real data coming out of the GPS. It has a cap inside that will carry it through power cycles for a few minutes while you change batteries.

Let me know how it goes.

If you do end up sending it in, I suggest you send in the TM1000, XBUS wire, and GPS unit together. This will help them find what the real problem is. Let's not go there yet.

Andy
I don't have any other XBUS device. Everything is working except the clock. I double and triple checked everything.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by minizoom; Sep 12, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,828 Posts
Do time settings (ex: -5:00) need to be made once the gps has a signal?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Do time settings (ex: -5:00) need to be made once the gps has a signal?
OK, I'll try it! Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Sep 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
OK, I'll try it! Thanks!
-5 did not work either. Everything else works except the clock. Flew the plane 700ft agl, that was nice to know and not have to guess.

RCG Plus Member