HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:59 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,614 Posts
It's all in the data base for added features, I am sure they will come eventualy. Those are great features you speak of. Having only a PKZ Radian Pro as a sailplane I can clear see the advantages of a varying tone for the ALT sensor.

Found the voice interval just a bit annoying for myself.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ib Jensen View Post
Hmmm.
A GPS system that does not allow you to display or print your data nor transfer it to google maps or other 3D path display. I have done better than this for free by taping an old Android phone to my plane and logging it's GPS data with a free ap. I get data I can see on a map and print for no cost. I'm not seeing the benefits here.
Wait until you see it on the STi display!!!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:08 PM
Registered American Veteran
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2010
170 Posts
I've got the GPS senso on my HH wish list. I could.....go ahead and pre order it if you could give us a screen shot or any other kind of bones!

Just please tell me that it will work on Google Earth like a kmz or kml file?
Log your data, send it to your Apple device and open with GE? Or is it live onscreen with data logging?
natss is offline Find More Posts by natss
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
RCHabanero
Joined Feb 2007
1 Posts
TM File usability

I agree with all that want a format that can be displayed on something other than a specific product. As an engineer, I want to be able to see what the system is doing in the air after I paid for all the sensors. This is so far advanced from where I started in the late 70's, but you can get so much more with open formats than you can by simply displaying on a proprietary display device
rchabanero is offline Find More Posts by rchabanero
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchabanero View Post
I agree with all that want a format that can be displayed on something other than a specific product. As an engineer, I want to be able to see what the system is doing in the air after I paid for all the sensors. This is so far advanced from where I started in the late 70's, but you can get so much more with open formats than you can by simply displaying on a proprietary display device
This may be true but there is a huge downside as well.As a company that is trying to do business and make enough money to support R&D as well as employee compensation and then have enough left over to continue developing new products its not reasonable to expect that you would simply give away your technology so someone else can simply copy it and then sell it for pennies on the dollar and remove you completely from the process.

If on the other hand you are totally subsidized and want everything for free then open source is the way to go.It all sounds very wonderful until it is your hard work that is taken and used to make money with no compensation back to you.What happens is that there is very little incentive to continue working hard to develop new ideas.There is a specific reason why proprietary code is exactly that.Proprietary.HH would be foolish to do it any other way.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,666 Posts
Quote:
My concer is not that my personal desires are not met as much as I hate to see the Spektrum hardware crippled by software that places unnecessary restrictions on the system. Why not have the GPS software exported to a file format that can be sent to google earth for viewing and printing? Why not have the altimeter be usable as a varying tone variometer so you don't have to take your eyes off that speck you are flying. I currently use the Winged Shadow Thermal Scout feeding a voltage to the flight pack voltage input and use the voice annunciation as a variometer. It works but is not as good as it should be.
These are all software issues. I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount for these features since they directly improve my soaring experience. Heck I have already spent for the STi, a little more to get the software features I want in an advanced or "Pro" package would not put me off.
I guess you will have to wait until the next STi software package comes out before you speculate how it may or may not work.I tend to think we wont be disappointed.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:27 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, RamlÝse
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
DX8 2.05 format of SPEKTRUM.TLM file

What is the format of the SPEKTRUM.TLM file?
KimDK is offline Find More Posts by KimDK
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:36 PM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
This may be true but there is a huge downside as well.As a company that is trying to do business and make enough money to support R&D as well as employee compensation and then have enough left over to continue developing new products its not reasonable to expect that you would simply give away your technology so someone else can simply copy it and then sell it for pennies on the dollar and remove you completely from the process.

If on the other hand you are totally subsidized and want everything for free then open source is the way to go.It all sounds very wonderful until it is your hard work that is taken and used to make money with no compensation back to you.What happens is that there is very little incentive to continue working hard to develop new ideas.There is a specific reason why proprietary code is exactly that.Proprietary.HH would be foolish to do it any other way.
The ability to port the files to Google Earth or an equivalent display program would not take away from the Spectrum revenue line since it would not be duplicating any feature of the STi. The STi provides real time data display voice annunciation and logging.
Can the STi software superimpose the flight path on a 3D satellite ground image? I have drooled over these images posted on various club websites. Can you send the graphs/images/logs in e-mails from you IPad/IPhone/ITouch/IThing to your buddies or to your PC/IMac/IThing for printing and archiving? If so there is no indication of this in the device.
I have bought an IPad and IPhone so I can use the STi device in the field. I would buy more TM1000s for my 6m Ventus, my 4m ASW 22, my Hera.
I would NOT buy a Chinese knock off, No telemetry.
Providing the user more options for using the Spectrum generated data could only encourage more people to invest in a Spectrum system and all the telemetry options becoming available.
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:34 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,666 Posts
Quote:
The ability to port the files to Google Earth or an equivalent display program would not take away from the Spectrum revenue line since it would not be duplicating any feature of the STi. The STi provides real time data display voice annunciation and logging.
Can the STi software superimpose the flight path on a 3D satellite ground image? I have drooled over these images posted on various club websites. Can you send the graphs/images/logs in e-mails from you IPad/IPhone/ITouch/IThing to your buddies or to your PC/IMac/IThing for printing and archiving? If so there is no indication of this in the device.
I have bought an IPad and IPhone so I can use the STi device in the field. I would buy more TM1000s for my 6m Ventus, my 4m ASW 22, my Hera.
I would NOT buy a Chinese knock off, No telemetry.
Providing the user more options for using the Spectrum generated data could only encourage more people to invest in a Spectrum system and all the telemetry options becoming available.
iPad,IPhone,iThing,iMac yes.PC no.I hear we are going to be happy with the next version.I guess we will wait and see.There seems to be something new at every turn.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,261 Posts
Quote:
Can the STi software superimpose the flight path on a 3D satellite ground image?
If it's a Google one, yes.

Quote:
Can you send the graphs/images/logs in e-mails from you IPad/IPhone/ITouch/IThing to your buddies or to your PC/IMac/IThing for printing and archiving? If so there is no indication of this in the device.
You don't have the next version yet, so of course you don't see anything about it.

If you know how to use the screen print image you can do anything you want with the PNG files.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
38 Posts
DX8 Telemetry Screens

I have Telemetry set to "Auto". Is there any way to "edit" or change the information that comes up on the first "Auto" screen? I would like to have different data than appears now: Volts; RPM; Temp; RxV; F; and "H".

On the GPS Screen, the Time does not show up, and the is a small numeral in the lower right hand corner. (Sometimes "7", "10", etc.)

Thank you.
bbinca is offline Find More Posts by bbinca
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, OK, Apache
Joined Jul 2006
15 Posts
Got my GPS module this morning. Plugged it in and did a rebind. Seems to work fine, just waiting for the Sti Apps update.
Johnb96041 is offline Find More Posts by Johnb96041
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:52 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbinca View Post
I have Telemetry set to "Auto". Is there any way to "edit" or change the information that comes up on the first "Auto" screen? I would like to have different data than appears now: Volts; RPM; Temp; RxV; F; and "H".
No.

Quote:
On the GPS Screen, the Time does not show up, and the is a small numeral in the lower right hand corner. (Sometimes "7", "10", etc.)
Number of satellites.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnb96041 View Post
Got my GPS module this morning. Plugged it in and did a rebind. Seems to work fine, just waiting for the Sti Apps update.
No need to rebind. Just add it to the Telemetry page. On the DX18 you can enter the TZ offset and it will show the actual time of day on the main screen.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:49 PM
umpf umpf
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2008
399 Posts
i received my GPS unit today.
i plugged it in and it started working. i adjusted time offset to -7 hours to give me correct time. pacific time.
the only thing i see wrong so far is the alt. reading.
im at about 4000 ft here in reno nevada but he gps reads 1200 feet.
i havent flown the unit yet. i just walked around my yard with the plane and dx18 to see the numbers change.
im getting 8 sats.
i hope the gps unit starts reading proper altitude.
basser is offline Find More Posts by basser