HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
May want to wait.

Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 03:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:17 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,607 Posts
He said GPS sensor and Yes you will need to STI to read the TLM file that once you setup will be stored on the SD Card, move,copy, tranfer the TLM file onto PC/MAC or any device that will allow you to email it to your Apple device, iPod Touch, iPad or iPhone using IOS 4 and up and you will be able to view the log file directly on the device.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
Servo Throw/Trim Problem

Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtech View Post
WARNING:
You skipped over the main reason not to update to v2.05, the servo throw/trim problem. If you have servo-throw and/or sub-trim set on your models, you will have to reset them after updating to v2.05. And if your channel is reversed, you can't set the servo-throw as you did in the past ... there's a bug in v2.05.

Read Spektrum's v2.05 "HowToUpdate.pdf" file, then go to:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...364&page=10000

RT
I did not skipped over it, just did not need to discuss it any further, the only bug in 2.05 is the travel when you reverse the channel travel adjust the other direction.

As for sub-trim, all you need to do is redo your setup cause that is the way it's going to work from now on so better do it now then later when you will want to have that new update..

Most of my models if not all of them have zero trim and sub-trim.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
v2.05

Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:51 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Most all of my models have sub-trim and servo travel set within the DX8; and all of my models have at least one channel reversed. Having to put up with the v2.05 bug while making these changes just isn't worth it when we don't have the GPS sensor, we don't have a current sensor, we don't have an app for PCs, and I don't have an I-something. To make matters worse, Spektrum finds it prudent to list 'NONE' under their v2.05 update issues. Everyone to their own ... I went back to v2.04 and will wait for the issues to be fixed before making the servo throw/sub-trim changes.

Whatever you do, read the links posted on my previous post before updating to v2.05. You'll find there are a lot of 'pilots' using throw and sub-trim adjustments; and they aren't very happy! And to say this "is the only bug" isn't being realistic. There's a dang good chance there will be more.

RT
RT
If your not using Trainer functions extensively of worried about your rdio rebooting because your trying to work the Mix menus inflight or your inactivity alarm making you batty because it goes on at 5 mins then staying at 2.04 may be a good choice for you.Keep it like it is.Go fly and be happy.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:44 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,666 Posts
You may have missed the point of my statement that I was agreeing with you.If the things that were actually addressed and fixed in 2.05 arent really necessary to how you are using the radio theres probably no reason to update.
Sticking with 2.04 for now should be just fine.
I did the 2.05 update and am retuning a few subtrims and endpoints if necessary.Im working around the issue without too much trouble so I guess your right on saying "to each their own".
No worries.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
STi app won't open tlm file

Can someone help me figure out how to use the STI app to open my TLM files from my DX8?

I have followed the instructions posted here. However when i open the e-mail attachment and click on 'Open with STI app', the STI app attempts to load but then quits after the splash screen and returns to the ipod 'home' page.

Has anyone else had this problem or know why it happens? I'm running the latest version of the APP on an ipod touch gen2. I don't own an STI module, just a DX8 with telemetry via TM1000.
aro03 is offline Find More Posts by aro03
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:25 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,666 Posts
Interesting.I havent had this happen.When it quits and returns to the homescreen that indicates that the app has crashed.It may be a memory problem or even a possible bug related to 2nd gen devices.You might try double pushing the home button and then when the taskbar thing opens on the bottom of the screen terminate the app processes listed there.It may free up enough memory to allow it to work.I think the double push process manager feature is available on 2nd gen devices.I dont have one to try it on.Ive heard the app may have trouble on some earlier devices.

You might need to try it on a more recent device(Gen3 or higher).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:48 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. The 2nd gen ipod doesn't support multi-tasking but is supposed to be supported by the STI app. I thought it might be a memory issue too so i tried loading a smaller file (814kb) but this file also causes a crash.

I've tried re-installing etc and still no luck. I really need to look at this data to analyse why my heli crashed. Has anyone figured out the data format? It would be far more useful if i could read the data outside of an iOS device.
aro03 is offline Find More Posts by aro03
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:20 AM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
Hmmm.
A GPS system that does not allow you to display or print your data nor transfer it to google maps or other 3D path display. I have done better than this for free by taping an old Android phone to my plane and logging it's GPS data with a free ap. I get data I can see on a map and print for no cost. I'm not seeing the benefits here.
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
Removed by User
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,607 Posts
Quote:
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it! RT
And the other thing that is pretty cool is if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:51 AM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
My concer is not that my personal desires are not met as much as I hate to see the Spektrum hardware crippled by software that places unnecessary restrictions on the system. Why not have the GPS software exported to a file format that can be sent to google earth for viewing and printing? Why not have the altimeter be usable as a varying tone variometer so you don't have to take your eyes off that speck you are flying. I currently use the Winged Shadow Thermal Scout feeding a voltage to the flight pack voltage input and use the voice annunciation as a variometer. It works but is not as good as it should be.
These are all software issues. I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount for these features since they directly improve my soaring experience. Heck I have already spent for the STi, a little more to get the software features I want in an advanced or "Pro" package would not put me off.
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen