HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 10:22 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Ah, crud, hobbyzone just pushed the ETA from 4/30/2012 to 5/30/2012.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 10:54 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Cool.

First, it doesn't say it measures altitude of aircraft (though it does say it measures MSL--mean sea level). Is this just another way of saying it measures altitude?
It measures altitude and reports it as MSL. That means you need to know your MSL (my field is 795'). This is what full-scale aircraft use. In contrast, our altimeter reports AGL.

Quote:
Does the DX8 remember the peak speed, altitude, like it does for voltage and temperature?
No, but in case of loss of signal it holds the last information. This allows you to know where the aircraft was last heard from and its direction - useful for hunting in the corn.

Quote:
Do I need to upgrade the firmware of the DX8?
Yes, to 2.05. It's not out yet.

Quote:
Do I need to rebind?
If you have already bound your TM1000 to this model, no. If you have it bound to another model or haven't bound it yet, then yes.

Quote:
Thanks for your offer to field questions.
You are most welcome.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtech View Post
When is the GPS sensor going to be available to the rest of us? If it already is, which suppliers have it?
I don't know availability dates. FWIW, if you have an STi (TR1000) then the GPS is much more useful because you can overlay a map and play back the flight.

Quote:
What version of DX8 firmware are you using? Does ours have to be updated to use the GPS sensor? If not 2.04, when can we get it (Spektrumrc.com still shows 2.04 as of 5/1/12)?
I'm using a beta version of 2.05 right now. To see GPS on the transmitter, yes you will need to update the transmitter. If you use an STi, then you don't need to update the transmitter.

We do not announce release dates for transmitter updates. Sorry.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Can you use both the STi and an ipod and/or ipad? To get the map, do you need an iphone?

I have an ipad, my son has an ipod, and I'm not interested in an iphone.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It measures altitude and reports it as MSL. That means you need to know your MSL (my field is 795'). This is what full-scale aircraft use. In contrast, our altimeter reports AGL.
Could the DX8 automatically subtract field height, e.g., by pushing a button on the DX8 when it's on the ground?
Old May 01, 2012, 12:41 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,512 Posts
Quote:
Can you use both the STi and an ipod and/or ipad? To get the map, do you need an iphone?

I have an ipad, my son has an ipod, and I'm not interested in an iphone.
Yes, certainly. They need to be rather recent for the minimum iOS version to load, but other than that all you need is to download the app from Apple (you can do that now, w/o the dongle) and then get a dongle from your hobby shop. The STi development team is busy with new features all the time, too.

To get the map you need an "iToy" of some type, and you need to have it connect to the Internet (3G/4G/WiFi).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 12:42 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,512 Posts
Quote:
Could the DX8 automatically subtract field height, e.g., by pushing a button on the DX8 when it's on the ground?
No, it does not do that.

GPS altitude measurements are notoriously poor for all devices. I have a friend who worked on missiles and he said they used GPS for position, but not for altitude, if that means anything.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,854 Posts
Any progress on logging for the dx8?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old May 01, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,053 Posts
I recently installed my TM1000 and AR8000 in a large electric aircraft with a CC ICE HV160 ESC, 12S 5000mah motor batteries, and a 2cell LiFe Rx pack. Since the LiFe pack carries a steady voltage of 6.6v, I set the Low Voltage Warning to 6.5v. Every time I move a control surface, the Rx Low Voltage Warnning Alarm comes On. Each time it comes on, it obscures the other Telemetry readings, such as RPM. I tried setting it to 6v, but I still see a Blip on the display.

What would be a useful Rx Low Voltage Warning setting considering that I am using 2cell LiFe battery?

I connected the supplied Voltage Sensor to my 12S Motor batteries. The Telemetry showed me 50v, which is what I would expect. Obviously, this Sensor is just a JST connector with two small guage wires. I assume that even though I have it connected to 50v, that no significant current will be traveling through the wires to damage the TM1000.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old May 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Is the LiFe pack powering the servos, too? I don't know a lot about LiFe batteries, but you want to take a look at their discharge curve, and set it above where you want to recharge it.

As far as the voltage sensor, high impedance, low current, good to 60 volts according to the manual.

Unofficial answers, take with a gain of salt.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Is the LiFe pack powering the servos, too? I don't know a lot about LiFe batteries, but you want to take a look at their discharge curve, and set it above where you want to recharge it.

As far as the voltage sensor, high impedance, low current, good to 60 volts according to the manual.

Unofficial answers, take with a gain of salt.
The LiFe Rx battery powers the Rx and the servos. It is different from LiPos in that it maintains a Flat 6.6v from just after Full Charge until just before dropping off to Critical. As such, I am not sure of what to set the Rx Low Voltage Warning parameter such that it will warn me in time to land before the battery fails.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Well, again, based on your description, a coulumb counter would be necessary.

Another issue *might* be: Where in the circuit are you testing the voltage? If it has a balance port, you might want to connect there. Then you won't have any IR or sL losses (the second due to inductance), which might be causing the voltage monitor to register a voltage drop due to the inductance of the wires during high current demands from the servos. If you're not comfortable connecting there, connect the voltage monitor as close to the battery connector as you can. Also, make sure the two wires from the battery to your receiver are as close to each other as possible. The greater the area between your power and ground, the greater the inductance. Best, twist the current carrying wires to reduce inductance.

All of these suggestions might be fruitless, but try the ones you think are easier (on a fully charged battery of course).
Old May 01, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
I see the AR400 rx won't be out for a while so is there a cheap clone like the orange ones that will work with my telemetry module......... since I think the rx needs a bind/data port on the rx for the TM1000 and a normal orange doesn't have it?

Also occasionally and seemingly with no rhyme or reason my DX8 will emit little high pitched click noises and curious what that is signalling? Pretty random and usually only one or two clicks and infrequent.

For being a total RC noobie and non-electronics geek and almost electro-phobic the DX8 programming has turned out to be very user friendly, intuitive and pretty straight forward with only minor manual reading needed.

Really appreciate all your help and it has made learning the new DX8 and telemetry system alot easier.
overmyhead is offline Find More Posts by overmyhead
Last edited by overmyhead; May 01, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,053 Posts
Quote:
Well, again, based on your description, a coulumb counter would be necessary.

Another issue *might* be: Where in the circuit are you testing the voltage? If it has a balance port, you might want to connect there. Then you won't have any IR or sL losses (the second due to inductance), which might be causing the voltage monitor to register a voltage drop due to the inductance of the wires during high current demands from the servos. If you're not comfortable connecting there, connect the voltage monitor as close to the battery connector as you can. Also, make sure the two wires from the battery to your receiver are as close to each other as possible. The greater the area between your power and ground, the greater the inductance. Best, twist the current carrying wires to reduce inductance.

All of these suggestions might be fruitless, but try the ones you think are easier (on a fully charged battery of course).
I am referring to the Telemetry parameter known as Rx Voltage. This voltage is read by the TM1000 directly from the Rx. No sensors are required. I would guess that attaching a Voltage sensor to the Rx battery would give me the same reading as the Rx voltage.

Since I already have a Voltage sensor attached to my Motor batteries, is it possible to attach another Voltage sensor to the Rx battery? I already have a JST Y connected to the Temp/RPM port on the TM1000. Can I connect another JST Y to the first one to use additional Voltage sensors?
Old May 01, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Ah good point about the RX voltage--I spaced out.