HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 04:04 PM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Discussion
63" BlitzWorks P51D Mustang / Banana Hobby - HELP

Hi Guys,
I spent a few days getting this new bird ready for spring. Quality seems good for $200. I finally was able to test the motor w/ prop installed and have a problem. I'm not sure if it's the motor or speed controller (or both).

Here's the situation. I was able to run the motor up a few times - about 50 to 60% throttle and everything seemed fine. Then at around 50% throttle the motor would cut out and just stop after 3-5 seconds - motor gave out a crunching sound but after powering down the plane I was surprised to see that the motor still spun freely.

I unplugged the battery and restarted the system and same thing - power cut out at anything more than 50% throttle and would make some slight crunching sounds. The speed controller just started a continuous beeping after one of these power cut-outs (no power) with any throttle.

Then as I was about to shoot this video I was surprised to see that the motor would just twitch with any amount of throttle.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I don’t know if I should just buy a new motor AND speed controller.

Does anyone else have this plane?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWL4QTE1Nw

-Josh
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
Last edited by jdwphotos.com; Mar 12, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Looks like you have lost a leg. Check the connections from the esc to the motor(wire may have come loose or a bad solder joint)
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old May 29, 2011, 01:08 AM
Joined Apr 2010
2 Posts
Hi, I received this very plane (gunfighter scheme) as a gift and had this same problem except mine would run just under half throttle any higher it would sound like it was hit in battle lol. I cut the wrapping off the esc and saw that one of the capacitors looked burnt and the receiver lead had some black suet on it, I think this may be my problem. check for anything burnt.
eagle2006 is offline Find More Posts by eagle2006
Old May 29, 2011, 04:19 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
definitely the esc or solder joints. check them. I'm interested to see what the issue is.
p51flyer is offline Find More Posts by p51flyer
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:18 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Mar 2004
1,120 Posts
63" BlitzWorks P51D Mustang / Banana Hobby - HELP

I was wondering what CG works best. The manual states 110mm, but IMO it is way to far forward. I would say the guys over sea's must really like a nose heavy planes. From building plans for over thirty years. I would say it should be closer to the main landing gear and in front of the main spar.

I just finished building the plane, I thought a PNP would go faster but I was correcting several items as I was building. I would have taken pictures of the build but its pretty straight forward. The manual is no help at all in building this plane. The little 1/2in square photos in the manual don't really help a builder
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Nov 2011
251 Posts
Has anybody figured out the esc programming. Want to turn brake off. ESC is a Top Flite 80a. Thanks
bimmerland is online now Find More Posts by bimmerland