HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:42 AM
Kingsland, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,406 Posts
Discussion
Was this the perfect Seaplane Trainer? or The xpv that never was

I was perusing a thread on Ekranoplane designs and some of the drawings reminded me of a project that I had worked on back in 2005. Jakks Pacific, a large toy company, that I licensed some designs to, was working on what they called an XPV. This stood for Extreme Performance Vehicle. They wanted to produce a toy that would run on land, fly off land or water, or act like a boat. I asked if I could be involved in the project. They provided me with a budget and I began work on the design. What resulted was a plane that had some flying characteristic like no other plane I had seen. The plane was virtually inpossible to stall, would correct itself to level flight without any pilot imput and instantly recover from any bad orientation to level flight, the second up elevator was applied. I put this plane into the hands of a couple of friends who had never operated an RC radio or plane in their lifes. Both were successful their first flights. In the end Jakks borrowed from the design ,making a much smaller model that barely flew.They felt the plane was more of a "hobby Grade" project and elected not to produce it. I call the plane the LanCair.I have posted some video of the development of the 3 prototypes here for those that might be interested in knowing more about this plane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403286
Here is some video of the 3rd and final prototype.
The XPV that Never Was Part 4) Water Trials (7 min 43 sec)
Joel K. Scholz is offline Find More Posts by Joel K. Scholz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,979 Posts
I remember that Plane! I think I still have the hulk of one of the prototypes that I'm saving for my grandsons to train on. This plane and your Sharky are very inovative designs that deserve to be widely distributed and flown.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Apr 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
Boring holes in sky & runway
Michigan
Joined Jun 2004
268 Posts
I've seen a lot of planes come and go...on water at our two annual Float Flys.
An overpowered trainer can be modified to fly nicely off of a good pair of floats. I do not recommend the GeeBee floats, as they tend to stick to the water and can fill with water. I prefer and recommend the classic Cunningham design. You can get good set of foam floats cut to any length you like at
seapanesupply.com
Thy also offer a cool "Hot-timer" float that has the chines chamfered so that they don't dig in so much when you crab a landing, like I like to do! I had a Modeltech Magic setup to do donuts in its own length at nearly full power and full down elevator!
Black Magic on Hot-Timer Floats (4 min 35 sec)

An alternative that seems to be pretty forgiving in the dedicated seaplane class is a Sea Cruiser. Not sure they make that kit anymore though.
Instead of tip floats, which tend to twirl the plane when one or the other hits too hard, the Sea Cruiser has sponsons just a couple of inches out from the fuselage- seen a lot of bad approaches straighten right out with those sponsons and save a lot of gnashing of teeth and drying of fuselages!
Waterbug is offline Find More Posts by Waterbug
Old May 04, 2011, 06:00 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
That's great!, it reminds me of a goose doing a take off run. Other than "because it works" why do you have the floats so tall?? It looks like tipping on the side would be a problem with any cross wind.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old May 05, 2011, 05:31 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel K. Scholz View Post
I was perusing a thread on Ekranoplane designs and some of the drawings reminded me of a project that I had worked on back in 2005. Jakks Pacific, a large toy company, that I licensed some designs to, was working on what they called an XPV. This stood for Extreme Performance Vehicle. They wanted to produce a toy that would run on land, fly off land or water, or act like a boat. I asked if I could be involved in the project. They provided me with a budget and I began work on the design. What resulted was a plane that had some flying characteristic like no other plane I had seen. The plane was virtually inpossible to stall, would correct itself to level flight without any pilot imput and instantly recover from any bad orientation to level flight, the second up elevator was applied. I put this plane into the hands of a couple of friends who had never operated an RC radio or plane in their lifes. Both were successful their first flights. In the end Jakks borrowed from the design ,making a much smaller model that barely flew.They felt the plane was more of a "hobby Grade" project and elected not to produce it. I call the plane the LanCair.I have posted some video of the development of the 3 prototypes here for those that might be interested in knowing more about this plane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403286
Here is some video of the 3rd and final prototype.
http://www.vimeo.com/20944821
Interesting story. My son had one of the dual motor toy XPV's. (shown in the pic) His was only a land or air vehicle. Land was ok but it flew like crap! I have to say though, for the number of times he crashed that thing it held up really well!! Now that he is older, I just recently chucked it in the garbage.
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2011, 03:50 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,428 Posts
Joel,
I loved the sharky when I saw it and now this is even cooler. It stinks that I cant have either one. Nice job Have fun Rich
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
Old May 16, 2011, 12:43 PM
Boring holes in sky & runway
Michigan
Joined Jun 2004
268 Posts
Yeah, its a tad tippy in the wind, but basically quite flyable like that even in winds up to 15mph. After that it kind of stinks for the reason you highlighted, Lupy. It tends to blow over in side and tail winds. I kept the fairly wide stance that the gear has in the original Black Magic funfly from Modeltech. Funflys are like that (20-30 deg fuselage stance on the gear) because they like them to pop off the ground, I guess.
Waterbug is offline Find More Posts by Waterbug
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:06 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
I don't understand why airhogs quit making the Storm Launcher.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod