Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:21 AM
The new guy
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Jan 2010
162 Posts
Question
First engine test after storage Saito FA-82

I need a little help getting my plane off the ground for its first flight this spring. I fly electrics all year round but at the beginning of the winter I hung up my only glow powered aircraft. I was new to glow last season and put maybe 1 or 2 hours on the engine tops, however it was starting and running pretty good. At the end of the season I used some after run oil from my LHS and put it in storage. So I tried to pull it out today and had some issues.

When I was trying to start it today I pulled out my little electric starter and every time I would try and start it it would get a compression backfire and knock the prop nut and lock nut loose no matter how hard I torque them down. After trying that a few times I pulled out my starter stick and tried it the old fashioned way. I had one hell of a time trying to get the engine to run in the right direction. Bouncing it off the compression, or trying to send it right on through, it kept going backwards. However it would not run backwards, only start up and die. I finally got it going forwards and it would only run with the glow plug starter attached. I even let it warm up for a few minutes and pulled the starter off and it immediately died. I tried the electric starter again and it knocked the nut loose again. I finally got so frustrated I just gave up. Anyone know what could be going on with my little Saito? I am pretty mechanically savvy but I cant figure this little thing out. Thanks.

-Rourke
buechelr is offline Find More Posts by buechelr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:38 AM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
it would only run with the glow plug starter attached. I even let it warm up for a few minutes and pulled the starter off and it immediately died.
First thing I would do is replace the glow plug, before you install it make sure it lights. Start with that.
Pitstop000 is offline Find More Posts by Pitstop000
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JR 28X / JRs Flagship Radio!
Old Mar 12, 2011, 03:58 PM
-_-
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Sep 2005
828 Posts
New plug and come out a 1/2 turn on the high end.on the low end the adj on the throttle arm might need to be backed out a 1/4 turn to get you going.
E-MO is offline Find More Posts by E-MO
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:31 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,026 Posts
My Saito 91 did the same thing last year. I was ready to give up too. The problem was way too lean on the low speed needle. It should be set just slightly below flush with the outside of the throttle arm. As a starting point. Probably will be too rich there but will start and run so you can tweek it in. My high speed needle is now 1 1/2 turns from closed and she purrs.
Happy flying.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:33 PM
United States, FL, Ruskin
Joined Sep 2008
323 Posts
starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by buechelr View Post
I need a little help getting my plane off the ground for its first flight this spring. I fly electrics all year round but at the beginning of the winter I hung up my only glow powered aircraft. I was new to glow last season and put maybe 1 or 2 hours on the engine tops, however it was starting and running pretty good. At the end of the season I used some after run oil from my LHS and put it in storage. So I tried to pull it out today and had some issues.

When I was trying to start it today I pulled out my little electric starter and every time I would try and start it it would get a compression backfire and knock the prop nut and lock nut loose no matter how hard I torque them down. After trying that a few times I pulled out my starter stick and tried it the old fashioned way. I had one hell of a time trying to get the engine to run in the right direction. Bouncing it off the compression, or trying to send it right on through, it kept going backwards. However it would not run backwards, only start up and die. I finally got it going forwards and it would only run with the glow plug starter attached. I even let it warm up for a few minutes and pulled the starter off and it immediately died. I tried the electric starter again and it knocked the nut loose again. I finally got so frustrated I just gave up. Anyone know what could be going on with my little Saito? I am pretty mechanically savvy but I cant figure this little thing out. Thanks.

-Rourke
First I would mount on bench with all known good fuel lines from tank in correct location. Sounds to me it has been flooding. Clear fuel out of engine. Open high speed needle 2-3 turns. Use starter if it backfires and throws prop close low speed needle some. Much to most folks mistake this is the needle that is most important to get correct. There are several posts on here that will inform on how to set this. Once you get this set reasonable well it should start and not throw prop. Thereafter you should be able to tune to satisfaction by adjusting high and low speed together.Also check your valves.
tedmo is offline Find More Posts by tedmo