HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2011, 05:03 PM
Minneapolis MN USA
Joined Jul 2004
100 Posts
Discussion
What chargers are best for Micro Flyers batteries?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I thought it would get more attention than in the regular battery/charger section.

What chargers work good with the small batteries used in Micro's, or isn't that a real consideration?

I am looking to get a smart charger, preferably ac/dc, but will consider dc only.

What should I be looking for in the charger?

Price is a consideration.

Thanks
Stalled is offline Find More Posts by Stalled
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:12 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,941 Posts
I've had this charger goin on 2 yrs now and absolutely love it. You won't find a better, more versatile charger on the market. I paid 70$ for it at the time and it was well worth it.
TODD
http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...cat=391&page=1
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:43 AM
Fairfax Station, VA
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
Hi I R Irv,

I like the charger set up. I have a similar one for single Lipos set up the same way. It looks like you are using a 3S lipo for power. How do you keep voltage from going below 3V per cell? Is there a low voltage cutoff in circuit?

I have plugged a digital battery monitor on the charge plug. The monitor displays total volts and per cell voltage.

Happy landings,
Al
alh747 is offline Find More Posts by alh747
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
If you're using the standard 1S lipo, the Celectra charger is doing a decent job, though, the charge rate is fixed to somewhere between 250mah and 300mah. I've charged 70mah Eflite batteries in it, over a hundred times and they still work, so not sure why. It does work on 4 large D cell (I use NIMH 9amp batteries myself), or you can buy an adapter for electric power. Some people have converted it so it can use Lipos instead of D cells, but again, no safety on the lipo.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLC1004

The same charger also come bundled with two great products: (I think that's a better deal)

The Ultra-Micro 4-Site airplane which is on sale almost everywhere (In my area, it's about $99, but you'll find it anywhere between that and $129). You get a plane and the charger and the adapter.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL9080

If you're into helis, you can also get this charger with the Blade mSr. It's an awesome micro Heli, and you can get it for around $99 with the charger and adapter.

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodId=EFLH3080

Basically, I've seen Hobby shop selling the Celectra 4 ports charger and it's adapter for almost $60. So for $40 more, you can get either an airplane or a heli (both are nice products). With the 4 Site, you get the AR6400L receiver ($50), two servos ($20 each), one motor and gearbox ($10) (that's after you fly the hell out of it, and totally destroy the foam....) That's $100 worth of electronic alone if you would buy those separatly.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:33 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
901 Posts
The celectra1 that i got with my mSRx is for 100-700 mAh in 100mAh steps using buttons and has a start/stop button.
Came with a wallwart.
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,561 Posts
I use the Celectra that Realgambler mentioned but modified it to fit in the heli box. I cut the batt' compartment off and Velcroed a 2200ma Nimh on the bottom. Much more compact.As you see, I also made adapters to use the Mini Deans on all my small batts.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:11 PM
Minneapolis MN USA
Joined Jul 2004
100 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. If I end up buying one, it will probably be the Sonictronics one. I am not sure I am up to the 4-Site plane just yet.

If anyone has either of these chargers for sale, I would be interested.

Thanks again.
Stalled is offline Find More Posts by Stalled