|Mar 11, 2011, 03:44 PM|
Ugly Duckling to Beautiful beast BASH FMS/Airfield BF-109E
I promissed, now it is time to deliver. I am bashing that awful looking FMS/Airfield BF-109 (now discontinued I am told, though some may still be had through Nitroplanes) into a better looking "emil".
Things I will do (but not in any particular order):
new exhaust stacks
modified oil cooler
new fuselage gun troughs
modified tails (rudder is WAY wrong)
add tail struts
scale aileron and flaps (external hinged)
scale LG position
Motor: Turnigy 5055-400
battery: Eflite 30C 4s-3200
ESC: propably Castle ICE 50 lite
Prop: approx 15 x 8 3 Blade (my own)
retracts: PZ 514's
Struts: VQ straight leg.
Things I am not going to do:
Modify fuselage width (it is WAY too wide)
go through a lot of trouble hiding the foam (like I did on my FMS P-51D to B conversion)
Thin the overly thick tails.
|Mar 11, 2011, 03:52 PM|
Begain by throwing out nose cowl.
widened oil cooler scoop.
|Mar 11, 2011, 04:00 PM|
I realized pretty quickly that the fusleage is about 15% too wide. A scale canopy was not going to work. I made a new plug wider, but it still required quite a bit of sanding of the fuselage to match.
|Mar 11, 2011, 04:13 PM|
Wing is wierd!
I determined that the wing is a NACA 2415 at the root (side of fusleage really) and a 2416 at the tip. There is no twist.
I decided to make more scale ailerons and flaps so I cut them off. The blue foam templates you see in the pictures were made to determine the airfoil used and if there was any twist so I could reverse engineer my new control devices onto the existing wing.
The bottom (and top) of the template are parallel to the local chordline.
|Mar 11, 2011, 06:24 PM|
|Mar 11, 2011, 06:54 PM|
Not 100% sure Ill make the meeting Tues. Worst case Ill drop the decals off with Kevin and he in turn can bring them into the meeting.
Great thread. Looking forward to seeing how you fix the dihedral.
|Mar 12, 2011, 09:01 AM|
|Mar 12, 2011, 10:02 AM|
Google Stereolithography or rapid prototyping
|Mar 12, 2011, 11:17 AM|
Trying to make the model "closer" to the FS (Full scale.... egad man not "real" my model is just as real) I had to add 1/2" to the rear of the fin. I just used 1/2" Dow Blue foam here and PU glue. I also had to redo the LE of the fin to make it closer to the right sweep. I did sand it a bit in thickness, but it really is WAY too thick.
|Mar 13, 2011, 10:10 AM|
More nose details
What ww2 aircraft do you know that has more happening from the nose to the LE of the wing than any other part of the aircraft than the 109? The 109Emil is loaded full of bumps, holes, vents, blisters in the first 6" of this model than any other I know of.
I added the new exhaust stacks and began work on some of those blisters on the underside of the cowl.
One blister was made from a section of plastic spoon, the other shaped from balsa.
The area is now "mudded" with elmers wood putty and I will have to wait for it to dry before I continue on. I move back over to the wing for a while.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion Airfield /FMS/1400MM P40 bash -Done||Ldm||Electric Warbirds||42||Jul 27, 2013 03:36 PM|
|Build Log Ugly Duckling A/1 glider||brokenspar||Vintage & Old-Timer Designs||11||Apr 13, 2012 12:17 PM|
|Article Hobby Lobby Kyosho AiRium Messerschmitt Bf-109E Ready Set Review||Richard63||Electric Warbirds||14||Nov 13, 2011 05:34 AM|
|"the Ugly Duckling" 280 float flyer||Thomas Manson||Foamies (Kits)||8||Feb 04, 2005 06:01 PM|