HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:42 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
602 Posts
Great footage Chi, I love seeing the boats filmed like that. It looks great when it's jumping the wakes of the chase boat.
Tiernan85 is online now Find More Posts by Tiernan85
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:07 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
Yeah, off track some, but, T, the big boats do that.. glad you enjoyed it..

On jet news, I have 2 pieces, 1 personal, 1 for all..here's the first..aint fully functional yet, but, you can save it..

http://www.sicrc.com/

2nd, spent about a hour talkin to Tom, the owner of kmb this morning, to call him I gotta be up at 6.. ,anyway, he has a new, smaller boat in production, sending it to me tomorrow! in yellow gel coat..this way I aint gotta paint it.. just airbrush the graphics..

And, most importantly, we talked about him bringing back the 33mm jet..its the powerhouse of the little jets, cant hardly wait for that to show again, kmb history is 2nd generation, Toms dad was a hydro engineer, so he knew flow..when he developed the jets, they were done to the max they could flow, 3 and 4 blade impellers didnt work in this size flow path, neither did 5-6 slot stators, etc..

Anyway, the 33 was the performance jet..

http://www.jet-drive.de/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=17

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:30 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Yeah, off track some, but, T, the big boats do that.. glad you enjoyed it..

On jet news, I have 2 pieces, 1 personal, 1 for all..here's the first..aint fully functional yet, but, you can save it..

http://www.sicrc.com/

2nd, spent about a hour talkin to Tom, the owner of kmb this morning, to call him I gotta be up at 6.. ,anyway, he has a new, smaller boat in production, sending it to me tomorrow! in yellow gel coat..this way I aint gotta paint it.. just airbrush the graphics..

And, most importantly, we talked about him bringing back the 33mm jet..its the powerhouse of the little jets, cant hardly wait for that to show again, kmb history is 2nd generation, Toms dad was a hydro engineer, so he knew flow..when he developed the jets, they were done to the max they could flow, 3 and 4 blade impellers didnt work in this size flow path, neither did 5-6 slot stators, etc..

Anyway, the 33 was the performance jet..

http://www.jet-drive.de/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=17

The jet drive looks VERY NICE!
We'll have to make sure we never buy 2 channel transmitters again, (need to accommodate that reverse channel).

Can't wait to see the yellow boat in action. I assume that will have the proposed 33mm drive?

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:53 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
John, no, it will have the 28..33 wont be available till summer..and I'll be up by you by then..lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
Nice clip! Wouldn't have got away with doing that in the UK. Not because we don't have such boats but because there are strict speed limits (like 10mph) on waterways like that one. Not for the model but for the chase boat. To stop bank erosion from the wash. Full size boats like that, can only run balls-out on lakes and, of course, offshore and in some tidal waterways and such.

Oh, to live in the land of the free
Chi, LOVED that vid of you chasing the boat. That was very cool. What a sweet runner.
What waterway is that?

And Mad - don't let it fool ya. There are a lot of places here just like you - speed limits for erosion and whatnot. And what's so ironic is that MANY boats leave a much smaller wake going 25mph or more, than say 7mph. I have full scale boats, and at 7 knots I make the kayakers very angry. 25-30 leaves almost zero wake.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:21 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7 View Post
And Mad - don't let it fool ya. There are a lot of places here just like you - speed limits for erosion and whatnot. And what's so ironic is that MANY boats leave a much smaller wake going 25mph or more, than say 7mph. I have full scale boats, and at 7 knots I make the kayakers very angry. 25-30 leaves almost zero wake.
That's why I put a at the end of that phrase rather than a . I know for a fact that are many ways in which the US is, at best, no more free than anywhere else. As for the bank erosion thing at different speeds, you're right. Depends on so many factors. But then, when did our lawmakers, yours or mine, let facts get in the way of a good prejudice
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 28, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:38 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
937 Posts
Must be getting close. Who's going to plant a flag as the first threadworm to conquer pg100. This thread is rivalling War and Peace. Just goes to show what fun grown men can get from a $50 toy.
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 28, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:04 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
So, I had this grand idea to put aluminum (aluminium for Mad!) window screen under the intake of my boat. Sadly, it did NOT work. The rocks shredded it quite handily. So, Now I'm in search of a stainless steel mesh, OR, maybe putting twice as many carbon strips than what I already have.

It occurred to me, I hadn't posted a pic of my carbon intake screen.
The strips are 1/8 inch tall (wide).

7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:15 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
7, thanks bud.. its on a bayou in southern louisiana, south of new orleans..go with stainless screen..best chance of catchin the rocks.

Mad, good guys always have fun..the tread is diverse, that helps, its good reading..lookit the stats, highest read in electric racing boats..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:29 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
To get serious for a min, ONLY a min., the wake issue always has tights in a bunch, and, wake is relative to hull displacement, waay more than speed, I also have a large boat, summer home for us, we divide time between Wisc. early to mid spring, and stay on he boat the rest of the year, and I can blow 7 ft. rollers at 5 kts, under heavy power, or, 1 ft rockers at 25 kts..which is better?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:34 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
937 Posts
Quote:
So, I had this grand idea to put aluminum (aluminium for Mad!)
You're quite right. And while there are some words where I might insist the British spelling is correct, or at least is as valid as any other, that's not one of them. I don't know what prompted the British to add the extra 'i' and having been brought up with it for all these years I can't change now. But I freely acknowledge aluminum is the correct name for that element.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Wow with the formal dress of tuxedos now in vogue and tomayto to tomaaato being contested, I bet this thread will burn up the servers at RC Groups.

Love you all, and even with the threat of eviction, I may go with a sicRC RTF direct, from Steve real soon. She did think the running lights were cute on the Carbon Cup that came to my door today, but quickly suggested that the UM Corsair might be expendable. Any of you need one?

G'night all

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Jan 28, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:30 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
lol..gave up planes back in the 90's
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:17 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
So, I had this grand idea to put aluminum (aluminium for Mad!) window screen under the intake of my boat. Sadly, it did NOT work. The rocks shredded it quite handily. So, Now I'm in search of a stainless steel mesh, OR, maybe putting twice as many carbon strips than what I already have.

It occurred to me, I hadn't posted a pic of my carbon intake screen.
The strips are 1/8 inch tall (wide).
go get some control linkage rod. my grate i made is 2mm or .08 inch
tough as nails, spacing between the bars is 2.5-3mm
ScubaruSteve is offline Find More Posts by ScubaruSteve
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:28 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,551 Posts
So, talkin with England on the rubber couplers, to get em made at a 25mm length, so they will fit..the rubber insert will give about a 5 degree deflection, thats plenty for some bit of non matchin holes in the motor plates, and stops all the side load on the bushings..
RCG Plus Member