HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:38 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2012
42 Posts
sigh, i want to start building my 10ft boat....
ScubaruSteve is offline Find More Posts by ScubaruSteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:46 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaruSteve View Post
sigh, i want to start building my 10ft boat....
I'll come and help you, as soon as I've finished my Top Fuel hydro
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:59 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich H View Post
Anyone knows the used thickness of plastic for NQDs and SicRCs hull? Is the deck and hatch thinner? Thanks in advance! Im working on the hatch part on my design, trying to solve the dimensions /Henric
A bit difficult to tell when one starts with a hull which has already been vacformed and where the thickness varies quite a bit anyway. I think mine must have started with plastic of around 2mm for the hull/deck and 1mm for the hatch, based on readings averaging around 1.63 and 0.85 for the finished items. You probably know a lot more than I do about the relationship between original and after-vacforming thicknesses and also how they are affected by the depth of draw in the mould..
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 26, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:24 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
What he said..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:57 PM
Kamikaze pilot
Sweden, Västernorrland County, Sundsvall
Joined Apr 2005
36 Posts
Thanks Mad! Already planning on the dudes, is the NQD approx 1/10? Might get some finished heads an rework to simplify the process.
Heinrich H is offline Find More Posts by Heinrich H
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:37 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
Ordered my new cage! I'm a bit excited to get it
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:56 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich H View Post
Thanks Mad! Already planning on the dudes, is the NQD approx 1/10? Might get some finished heads an rework to simplify the process.
By common consent, if it's based on an Oz sprint hull as I reckon, then it actually works out at about 1/12.3 - call it 1/12 scale. I have used aftermarket heads on all mine, in 1/10 scale because that's easier to source. Bit big, but don't look too much out of place. See my #1206, pg81 to view the result.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:18 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
Yeah, T, the little stuff still makes us happy..lol..amazing aint it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:23 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
Ordered my new cage! I'm a bit excited to get it
Are you buying one for the boat as well while you are it - I mean, I realise we're all a bit crazy but you don't need to lock yourself away. Well, only at the full moon, anyway
Seriously though, you won't regret it.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:57 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
625 Posts
haha!

It really was tempting not to just grab another boat while I was there as I'd love to build another for no particular reason. Grabbed a spare flex shaft and prop instead, have to at least take advantage of the combined shipping
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:43 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
Yup, the time alone just breaks MY heart..I'm talkin to the guy in England on doing a HD flex coupler, hes got some that would work, but, they are 40mm long..we need bout 25mm..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jan 27, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:07 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
I was diggin thru some old VHS tapes and converting em to DVD, and came across one I'll put a clip up on, back in '96, he was building a lot of large scale hulls, one of the favorites was this 1550mm mono..they came as big as 2200mm.

the blue one I still have, its has a twin in it, good for about 75-80 mph, and thats good, its weighs about 50 lbs..

The one in the clip was not mine, and is was a single cyl, 35cc quickdraw, but, the clip shows the power and durability of the motors, and how nice the big boats handle..its hard to drive a boat from a boat too..lol

yellow boat would have been capable of 55-60 mph, faster than the boat chasing it.

61' apache stretch, on bayou, '96 (5 min 57 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:38 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,534 Posts
I found a pic of the big one, this boat is 7 feet long..we didnt care about records then, but it was the first rc boat to run over 100 mph, and would run like that for a hour..carried 2 gal of fuel, weighed 80lbs, 105cc triple cyl quickdraw, motor at that time was $3200..all of these boats molded and built by one of my best friends, same guy who made my current gasser..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:33 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
I'm talkin to the guy in England on doing a HD flex coupler, hes got some that would work, but, they are 40mm long..we need bout 25mm..
Yup, as ever Chi is correct. When I commented on these couplers a few pages back, I had just got them but hadn't tried to fit them. Was figuring to wait till the next time I had to replace an impeller. As Chi says, we need something shorter and (now that I've tried experimenting with putting one in place) also perhaps 1/2 a mm smaller OD to be sure of fitting without hang-ups.
Have amended my post #1322 accordingly and can only apologise if anyone was misinformed.
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:54 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
yellow boat would have been capable of 55-60 mph, faster than the boat chasing it
Nice clip! Wouldn't have got away with doing that in the UK. Not because we don't have such boats but because there are strict speed limits (like 10mph) on waterways like that one. Not for the model but for the chase boat. To stop bank erosion from the wash. Full size boats like that, can only run balls-out on lakes and, of course, offshore and in some tidal waterways and such.

Oh, to live in the land of the free
Last edited by madbugger; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM.